PDA

View Full Version : Merckx now shipping direct...

FlashUNC
09-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Probably the first "major" manufacturer I can think of now shipping direct to consumers. Is this the inevitable next step in the industry? Or is this more a function of Merckx dropping Gita as a distributor and needing some way to get their bikes into the hands of American consumers?

My local shop has a relatively tiny space with little room for bikes. Instead he focuses on service and the consumable bits you might commonly ask for, given the margins on current bikes and the annual commitments from manufacturers to carry some brands.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/25/eddy-merckx-bikes-now-shipping-direct-to-us-consumers-preferably-through-a-bike-shop/

oldpotatoe
09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Probably the first "major" manufacturer I can think of now shipping direct to consumers. Is this the inevitable next step in the industry? Or is this more a function of Merckx dropping Gita as a distributor and needing some way to get their bikes into the hands of American consumers?

My local shop has a relatively tiny space with little room for bikes. Instead he focuses on service and the consumable bits you might commonly ask for, given the margins on current bikes and the annual commitments from manufacturers to carry some brands.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/25/eddy-merckx-bikes-now-shipping-direct-to-us-consumers-preferably-through-a-bike-shop/

Think ya gotta answer, "who dropped whom", with regards to Merckx or Gita.

Merckx, after changing hands, wasn't happy, neither was Gita. Little support for Gita..like a unique der hanger for latest Merckx...after 8 months of asking the mother ship for them, Gita went to Wheels and had them made.

The direct sales model sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. For less $ bikes, probably, for somebody dropping $10,000, which isn't outrageous these days at all...maybe less so.

I also have a small shop and center o service and custom wheels. I sell 3 brands...have demo bikes. I don't envy the place down the street that has something like 400 bikes hanging everywhere...love to wrench, build wheels, don't really like to 'sell'.

FlashUNC
09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Think ya gotta answer, "who dropped whom", with regards to Merckx or Gita.

Merckx, after changing hands, wasn't happy, neither was Gita. Little support for Gita..like a unique der hanger for latest Merckx...after 8 months of asking the mother ship for them, Gita went to Wheels and had them made.

That's a fair point. Rumblings from folks I know around here made clear that Gita certainly wasn't happy with the relationship as new ownership at Merckx got in and started making changes.

sales guy
09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm highly disappointed with this news. And if you look at the images on bikerumor, ever model listed is the same boring carbon frame. Nothing special. No steel. Just a different paint scheme on the same frame and a different component spec.

I think Merckx is losing out here and so are the consumers. I know it is a future model for many companies. Selling direct. But in this case, I think it dilutes the brand name and offerings from such an iconic company. It's like sending Serotta to Asia.

Climb01742
This answers a question I had. About a week ago, Competitive Cyclist suddenly had Merckx frames on their site for bargain prices. Guess that was CC doing Gita a solid by blowing out their inventory.

oldpotatoe
That's a fair point. Rumblings from folks I know around here made clear that Gita certainly wasn't happy with the relationship as new ownership at Merckx got in and started making changes.

Yep, for good or ill, the 'new' Merckx wasn't the 'old' Merckx at all..same decal is all it seems.

Gita makes their $ with clothing anyway. Fair amount of Pinarellos, but clothing.

zoid
09-26-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm highly disappointed with this news. And if you look at the images on bikerumor, ever model listed is the same boring carbon frame. Nothing special. No steel. Just a different paint scheme on the same frame and a different component spec.

I think Merckx is losing out here and so are the consumers. I know it is a future model for many companies. Selling direct. But in this case, I think it dilutes the brand name and offerings from such an iconic company. It's like sending Serotta to Asia.

are they making any steel frames? i sure loved the old super corsa and track but these cookie cutter carbon framesets don't appeal to me from a name like Merckx.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2013, 08:39 AM
are they making any steel frames? i sure loved the old super corsa and track but these cookie cutter carbon framesets don't appeal to me from a name like Merckx.

No. Last made in about 2006 or so.
SLX, 7/11 paint job. 100 numbered..

charliedid
09-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Consumer Direct is the future. At some point I think most everyone will do it in some capacity.

The big guys will likely start out by shrinking their retail partners down to the the "best and most established" and go from there.

I predict Giant will offer direct in 5 years or less.

I could be wrong.

rice rocket
09-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Consumer Direct is the future. At some point I think most everyone will do it in some capacity.

The big guys will likely start out by shrinking their retail partners down to the the "best and most established" and go from there.

I predict Giant will offer direct in 5 years or less.

I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm not very in tune w/ the politics of bicycle retailing, but they're setup like any other cartel with protectionist policies and are bound to feel the pinch sooner than later.

charliedid
09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I'm not very in tune w/ the politics of bicycle retailing, but they're setup like any other cartel with protectionist policies and are bound to feel the pinch sooner than later.

Absolutely.

They will then makes us dealers feel as though they are doing us a giant favor buy letting us facilitate this online transaction...

What a lousy business.

rain dogs
09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
But in this case, I think it dilutes the brand name and offerings from such an iconic company. It's like sending Serotta to Asia.

How so? I'm less interested in whether or not this may or may not perceptibly dilute a brand, but to say it's "like sending Serotta to Asia" doesn't make sense to me.

How does shipping direct change the core values, principles or structure of the labour force of a company, as does the move of production to Asia?

fill me in.

CunegoFan
09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
With all the Trek-only and Specialized shops, some of the smaller brands need to go direct.

charliedid
09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
With all the Trek-only and Specialized shops, some of the smaller brands need to go direct.

And when everyone goes direct they (Trek etc.) will too.

sales guy
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
How so? I'm less interested in whether or not this may or may not perceptibly dilute a brand, but to say it's "like sending Serotta to Asia" doesn't make sense to me.

How does shipping direct change the core values, principles or structure of the labour force of a company, as does the move of production to Asia?

fill me in.

Having Merckx as a brand become an off the shelf carbon frame with nothing different other than kit spec and paint scheme is boring and not worthy of such a historic brand. Again, it would be like having Serottas made as cookie cutter frames made in Asia just like Merckx is now. Not sure why that is so difficult to understand. I know for many it is the way of the future but for me, I would never carry Merckx as a retailer. I as a buyer/rider I wouldn't want an off the shelf boring cookie cutter frame. But that's just me.