PDA

View Full Version : OT: BMW F800GS (Dual Sport)

firerescuefin
09-26-2013, 08:03 AM
I started a dual sport thread awhile back.

There is a BMW F800 GS local (with very low miles) that I am very close to pulling the trigger on.

Anyone riding one?

avalonracing
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Cool bikes. I have a very similar F800S (which is the previous version of the F800R). Since the bikes are set up differently (mine is sporty bike opposed to a dual sport/adventure bike) all I can speak to is the engine. That said, the engine is a nice, light torquey machine which lends itself to decent control as it has power from the low revs to the higher ones. It isn't a ton of HP so if you are going to do much riding with a passenger and cases on the highway you might find it under-powered. But if you are riding alone it is plenty. The early engines from '06 and '07 had a few issues but they have seem to have worked that out.

Would I buy one, sure. They are a bit pricey for when new but there are some decent values on some late model used ones.

malcolm
09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm sure your've checked out the website ADV rider. It has all things dual sport and more than you would ever want to read. There is volumes on the BMW dual sports from the lovers as well as the haters. It is a very good site and worth checking out if you have not seen it.

Personally I like the BMWs, 650 and 1200 as well. Unless you have remarkable off road skills they are a bit cumbersome on the hard core off road stuff and really challenging single track, but I've seen some F800GSs in places I had a hard time getting a husaberg 390. Their pavement manners are probably the best of the bunch for bikes that actually see dirt.

efuentes
09-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Its a great bike, I rode one for close to two years without a problem, a bit heavy for true dual sporting, but I still miss the great brakes and the torquey engine.

Since I have been living on a budget lately I´m back to a trusty KLR :cool:

witcombusa
09-26-2013, 08:48 AM
If your deffinition of Dual Sport means pavement and dirt roads, you'll be fine.
For anything more serious than that they are to big, heavy and compromised by nessesary tire choice (for true asphalt fun).

If you want to explore jeep trails, railroad beds or even real single track look elsewhere.

echelon_john
09-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Second Whitcomb's post. I had an 1150GS (which, for sure, is a much bigger/heavier bike than the newer F800s) and it was a hoot and a half, plenty of power, great touring bike, including the Trans-Labrador Highway which is gravel/dirt. I would use it on the Forest Service roads around here, too. But for anything more than a gravel road, I would have MUCH rathered a KLR650 or something even lighter.

That said, the F bikes are a nice blend of smooth power and relatively light weight for a sporty touring bike with some off-pavement capabilities. Just don't go into it thinking you're buying an offroad bike.

Which you probably knew already. :hello:

mistermo
09-26-2013, 09:49 AM

There is a BMW F800 GS local (with very low miles) that I am very close to pulling the trigger on.

Anyone riding one?

I have an R100GS, and a R1200GSA. I ride the 'smaller' R100GS when solo, or on more technical terrain. And ride the bigger GSA when with MissesMo or when the ride requires a longer stretch on the highway. MissesMo just announced her retirement from riding along, so I'm seriously contemplating selling both and getting an 800GS. I've ridden one plenty, and I liken it to the cyclocross bike of the motorcycle world. It feels smaller than the other bikes, and without the boxer engine, gets hotter between the legs. American motorcycle culture tells us we need bigger and more powerful. But in the world of motorcycling, go against the culture and stay with cycling culture, which says that lighter is better. 800cc is PLENTY powerful for anything you'll ever need to do.

And don't let the naysayers scare you off: Motos are like bicycles, in that you can do anything if your skill level matches. I've ridden the D2R2 course up here in New England, which includes some Jeep tracks, on the bigger bikes than and 800GS. Here's a video of a guy I know riding single track on his 1000cc 100GS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4xHtsyLF34

But if single track is your primary goal, then yes, you'll find better tools than a 800GS. Kind of like a cyclocross bike isn't as ideal for single track as an mtb, but will work fine, if you need to make it work. But if all around riding, asphalt, dirt, highway, fire roads (ala Colo) is your goal, and you wont ride 2up too often, then I doubt you'll find a much better bike. ...my .02

witcombusa
09-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Here's a shot taken @ the infamous wooden crib damn of D2R2 fame. You will noter the diversity of machines on this d/s ride.

250, 400, 600, (2) 800 and one 1200. Of course rider talent matters. One of the GS800 riders was a top ranked New England Enduro rider for years. But you can easily tell what the bikes like as well.... and tires make even more difference with motos than they do on bikes.

aoe
09-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Anyone riding one?

What percentage on and off road? Any long distance touring?

Ken Robb
09-26-2013, 11:57 AM
The current Motorcyclist magazine has tests on these kinds of bikes.

In SoCal dealers are blowing out Husqvarnas due to the company being sold and some future changes to the model line-up. I was quite impressed on my rides on the TR650 Strada and Terra models as paved and un-paved road bikes. They wouldn't be good on real single track and other rough stuff though. They were lots more fun on paved roads than a real enduro bike would be.

Dealers are asking $5995 for either one.

firerescuefin
09-26-2013, 11:57 AM
What percentage on and off road? Any long distance touring?

First off...appreciate everybody's input.

80-20 road to offroad. Exploring would consist of fire/unimproved roads. I'd like to do some distance touring, but it's not in the cards right now and would not be a big driver for this purchase.

aoe
09-26-2013, 12:21 PM

80-20 road to offroad. Exploring would consist of fire/unimproved roads. I'd like to do some distance touring, but it's not in the cards right now and would not be a big driver for this purchase.

In that case, I think the bike is a great choice. For reference, I've had a 1200gs, ridden the f800gs, and currently have an HP2 Enduro.

On the F800GS I would, at minimum, have the suspension set up properly for you and even perhaps look at replacing stock fork internals and rear shock.

witcombusa
09-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Well if you get her, I've got a great loop for you including Guanella and Boreas Pass'. Hell, there is so much great dirt to explore out there you might not ever go home...

malcolm
09-26-2013, 12:25 PM
at 80/20 I would agree with aoe it would be a great bike.

http://www.advrider.com/

Dave B
09-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Finally something I can contribute to. ;)

I think the BMW would be awesome and if you could swing the new 1200GS with the liquid cool engine is running away with the adventure bike awards. I would love to try one, but I just read an article about the 800GS and it was very well liked. If I can find it I will scan it and send it to you.

I would buy one in a heart beat...if I had money.

If you plan for more on road use as your comment stated look at the Ducati Multistrada or even the new Hyperstrada. Great engines, wicked awesome power and some great features. Yes the cost is a premium, but I have enjoyed the Ducatis I have had.

You have so many options now in these types of bikes. Honda, KTM, BMW, and Ducs are all great options.

One piece of advice, which I am sure you already know cause you rock, but go for a long test ride. See how it feels, try the features, see if the ergos work for you.

I cannot wait to see pics!

malcolm
09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I just sold a 2010 ducati multi S and it was an awesome bike. I would not use it for even 20% unimproved roads. They are touted as dual sport but I don't think I've ever seen one on dirt. They are great motorcycles however.

JWDR
09-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I've been looking to trade my HD Streetbob for a BMW 800gs for a while. The 800s seem to hold there money a little better than the bigger bikes. I rarely find a late model one that is cheap enough to not make it worth my while to buy new.

avalonracing
09-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I've been looking to trade my HD Streetbob for a BMW 800gs for a while. The 800s seem to hold there money a little better than the bigger bikes. I rarely find a late model one that is cheap enough to not make it worth my while to buy new.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist. Tis the season for motorcycle deals.