PDA

View Full Version : wrong cable guide?

Veloo
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
So I'm installing the new Athena gruppo. Pulled the (black) cable guide which was in the brake lever box and started to install and noticed that the front derailleur guide portion didn't sit flush to my English BB shell. Doesn't look right at all. Perhaps Campy defaults the provided guide for an Italian BB? Went back to my Shimano blue cable guide which originally came with the bike and it sits flush. Is my assumption about the guide fitting an Italian BB correct?

Louis
09-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Doesn't look like a big deal. You could either use the Shimano guide or trim the Campy guide to shorten it a bit and eliminate the overhang.

Steve in SLO
09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Perhaps, but the front the derailleur cable guide will be pulled flush with the bottom bracket by cable tension. I have installed a number of these that looked just like yours, and never had a problem with them.

jds108
09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
that Campy guide is made for a thicker BB shell (think carbon frames). So just stick with the Shimano one.

Louis
09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind that plastic cable guides are relatively recent development. Some new BB shells today still use the old method, which was just a teeny loop brazed onto the shell through which you put the cable. The cable itself just ran on the outside of the BB and over time created a grove in the steel.

You have tons of leeway in the setup and really have to mess up a plastic guide for it to no longer work properly. As long as the cable can move freely (ie you don't have horrible friction due to massive gunk buildup) you'll be fine.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
So I'm installing the new Athena gruppo. Pulled the (black) cable guide which was in the brake lever box and started to install and noticed that the front derailleur guide portion didn't sit flush to my English BB shell. Doesn't look right at all. Perhaps Campy defaults the provided guide for an Italian BB? Went back to my Shimano blue cable guide which originally came with the bike and it sits flush. Is my assumption about the guide fitting an Italian BB correct?

No

FD cable tight, and it aligns flat but it's just a cable guide, even a 'shimano' one will work.

VA-Scooter
09-26-2013, 08:05 AM
"even a shimano one will work" Gotta love that !!

zoid
09-26-2013, 08:29 AM
"even a shimano one will work" Gotta love that !!

i wish one day, i'll hear this more.

Brian Cdn
09-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Veloo

Use the blue guide on the Lynskey. It's exactly what I did on mine.

B

Louis
09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Clearly the Shimano product is better than Campy's weak attempt to copy the superior component.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Clearly the Shimano product is better than Campy's weak attempt to copy the superior component.

yep, clearly...