PDA

View Full Version : great comeback story... life support to the podium in 6 months!

andy mac
01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Stunning return win for Rhodes

By Dan Oakes
January 7, 2006

Alexis Rhodes has shown brilliant form in her comeback.

Alexis Rhodes won the Australian criterium championship and the third leg of the Bay Cycling Classic last night to cap an amazing comeback from the life-threatening injuries she received in a horrific accident in Germany last year.

Six months ago Rhodes was on life support in a medically induced coma after a young driver careered into a group of Australia's elite road cyclists on a training ride, injuring five and killing Rhodes' friend Amy Gillett-Safe.

Rhodes sustained many spinal fractures and severe chest injuries in the accident, but you would not have known that last night when she was cheered home in Geelong by hundreds of appreciative onlookers.

Afterwards, Rhodes was relaxed about her inspirational victory, saying only that she was relieved to have taken out the championship, which is incorporated into this leg of the Classic, and that her parents would probably be more excited than she was.

"Criterium's one of my favourite events, so it's great to have the yellow jersey back again, I'll be wearing it with a lot of pride," she said.

"I love winning, that's why I ride, but it's only the criterium championship, not the road championship, it's not the world championship.

"It's another milestone on the road to recovery, but it will be pretty low profile tonight, although I don't think it will be for my parents."

Rhodes had given a hint in Wednesday's leg of the five-day series that she might have come good after months of rehabilitation when she came sixth, but her ride last night, in which she broke clear with 20 minutes to go and never looked like being caught, still came as a shock.

The overall series leader, Katie Mactier came second and another big name, Oenone Wood, finished third.

The 700-metre waterside circuit is dead flat, in marked contrast to the previous leg in Portarlington. But the high-speed course meant there was no respite for riders more suited to climbing.

There was drama 10 minutes into the race when six riders fell in a tangle of bikes at the second corner. Five got up quickly and kept racing, but Rachel Rademaker (Siemens) stayed down and as a result the race was suspended for 15 minutes. Rademaker was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Mactier leads the overall standings heading into today's leg at the Geelong Botanic Gardens, with Wood trailing her and Belinda Goss in third. Rhodes is fourth.

At 9.30am today, Amy's Ride will start at the Geelong Botanical Gardens. The event was devised by Simon Gillett, the husband of Amy Gillett-Safe.

The ride is divided into four routes of 120, 70, 45 and 10 kilometres and proceeds will be used to promote safe road sharing between cyclists and motorists.

WOMEN'S RESULTS ~ THE CLASSIC
1. Alexis Rhodes
2. Katie Mactier
3. Oenone Wood
4. Belinda Goss
5. Jennie Macpherson
6. Rachel O'Connell
7. Tiffany Cromwell
8. Gemma Kenessy
9. Belinda Diprose
10. Teressa Ryan

gasman
01-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Very impressive. it just shows how much youth, determination and good genes can overcome significant injuries as she recieved. Good on her !

Fixed
01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
bro she's one tough cookie and she talked about her parents I bet she is a nice young lady i.m.h.o cheers

chrisroph
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
This shows a lot of grit and talent. She suffered a terrible physical and emotional tragedy. I wonder how she feels inside after these racing successes which follow pretty closely on the heels of the accident and the physical recovery?

The Spider
01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm off to go watch the last lace in the series tomorrow, all of the girls are amazing!

Katie is blazing fast, art on wheels!

andy mac
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
that's one tough chick.

tell her the troops around the world are cheering them all on.

slap on the sunscreen,

andy.