PDA

View Full Version : Triathletes. (Spoilers, competitive woman beating)

Shortsocks
09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/88DA05FA-9CBA-44EE-95A5-A1665EFD408B-2040-000002C8E20F00A2_zpsc1a50957.jpg

Triathletes gotta LOVE'em
This is what happened during a IM in September.
On a side note I was riding today and got a Flat. I counted 11 Triathletes in full aero position riding by and NOT offer any help or even nod to see if I was okay. :mad:
And least they didn't punch or push me. :confused:

Ride safe.

CunegoFan
09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
This has been hashed out on a bunch of running an triathlon boards. The blogger who posted the pic selectively chose one that makes it look bad. He then exaggerated what happened. The video shows something that should have been left as a racing incident.

Basically the guy was sprinting for a high place, trying to catch someone eleven seconds ahead of him. Woman just out of transition, stops in the wrong lane and poses for pictures by friends while walking backwards across the lane, completely oblivious to what is going on around her. Guy sticks his arm up to fend her off as he tries to keep in his lane to avoid oncoming traffic. Even after that she still clutzes around and nearly backs into another guy.

I hate to think what she was like on the bike leg.

Nags&Ducs
09-26-2013, 03:26 AM
This has been hashed out on a bunch of running an triathlon boards. The blogger who posted the pic selectively chose one that makes it look bad. He then exaggerated what happened. The video shows something that should have been left as a racing incident.

Basically the guy was sprinting for a high place, trying to catch someone eleven seconds ahead of him. Woman just out of transition, stops in the wrong lane and poses for pictures by friends while walking backwards across the lane, completely oblivious to what is going on around her. Guy sticks his arm up to fend her off as he tries to keep in his lane to avoid oncoming traffic. Even after that she still clutzes around and nearly backs into another guy.

Too funny this pic!

Thanks for clearing this up CF! I was about to make a rude comment about both of them!!:banana:

verticaldoug
09-26-2013, 04:31 AM

I saw the video. Basically, he just decided to run through her and not really try to avoid contact. The old guy running in the opposite direction was easy enough to avoid.

I think the race organizers, the woman were all ready to let it go except the guy was completely unapologetic. (I believe this is not his first incident). The race director referred it to USAT and they made the decision to DQ the guy.

It was a douchebag move.

BryanE
09-26-2013, 05:25 AM
The characters at letsrun.com are having a field day.

There seems to be two trains of thought on this.
He's a total DBag.
She's a self absorbed moron for paying no attention to anyone else in the race and backing into him.

The video is somewhere on the Slowtwitch thread.

I preferred the Slowtwit thread, Why Are Triathletes So Fat.

BumbleBeeDave
09-26-2013, 05:54 AM
I'm not familiar with Tri rules . . . if this guy had just jumped to his left to get around her and he crossed the yellow center line would he have been penalized?

I guess even with that I'm more in the "she needs to wake up and get out of the road" camp . . . this as a result of experience on the local MUT with folks who just decide to stop and chat right in the middle of the trail at 6pm on a beautiful weeknight with high traffic.

BBD

PQJ
09-26-2013, 06:37 AM
On a side note I was riding today and got a Flat. I counted 11 Triathletes in full aero position riding by and NOT offer any help or even nod to see if I was okay. :mad:

Ride safe.

In their defense, they probably cant fix a flat and thus didn't want to waste your time. Also, they're training and stopping would likely have messed up their program.

Mr Cabletwitch
09-26-2013, 06:58 AM
My wife is a triathlete so I can say this...

Triathletes are mostly self absorbed, a$$holes!

This pic just shows two different types the ones that have to post pictures of themselves on facebook so everyone can tell them what a good job they did, and the other type that can't win at any single type of event so he dedicates his life to winning a medal for being mediocre at three different things.

Vientomas
09-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Nice exposure for PowerBar. Perhaps they can use the image in an ad campaign. "PowerBar - fuels the rage within."

firerescuefin
09-26-2013, 07:13 AM
My wife is a triathlete so I can say this...

Triathletes are mostly self absorbed, a$$holes!

This pic just shows two different types the ones that have to post pictures of themselves on facebook so everyone can tell them what a good job they did, and the other type that can't win at any single type of event so he dedicates his life to winning a medal for being mediocre at three different things.

"Hit hard to center field....it looks like it may have the distance...going...going....gone. It's outta here"

Though not all in the sport...you just described 2 groups that comprise a large percentage.

cfox
09-26-2013, 07:36 AM
If you really want to see an iron person get angry, pass them on a road bike; it's hilarious.

That picture is so funny, and like written above, succinctly captures a nice cross section of tri dorks.

CunegoFan
09-26-2013, 07:46 AM
In their defense, they probably cant fix a flat and thus didn't want to waste your time.

I remember a post on Slowtwitch by a bike shop mechanic. A triathlete rushed in carrying his bike and needed to have it fixed. His bike had suffered a "mechanical emergency." He had dropped his chain and did not know how to put put it back on the chainring.

I always wondered how much was charged to fix it. At the very least I hope they took his man card.

Then there was a post by a triathlete who had taken his rear wheel off and could not figure out how to put it back on, even after watching Youtube videos to help.

avalonracing
09-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Please post a link to the video!

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 08:17 AM
If you really want to see an iron person get angry, pass them on a road bike; it's hilarious.

Heh...a particular pleasure of mine. (I am SUCH an A-hole)
Last week I saw a 20 sumpin' T-lete about to hit the bottom of a short hill in our area that tips up to ~13% at the crest. I put it in the twiddle ring and made sure I looked as casual as possible as I blew past him, in all my grey whiskered glory.
As I said...I am SUCH an A-hole.

sg8357
09-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Then there was a post by a triathlete who had taken his rear wheel off and could not figure out how to put it back on, even after watching Youtube videos to help.

Give the guy a break,
The video left out scraping the gooey mess of dried gatorade and perpetuem
that tri bikes are coated in. First step in working on tri-bikes, decontamination.

Lanterne Rouge
09-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Please post a link to the video!

+1

I want to see that.

This is my favorite tri video clip ever, I could seriously watch is all day and not get bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcqIgCJNjto

gdw
09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4OU1kfSKI

echappist
09-26-2013, 09:35 AM
first, video here:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=103zqsm&s=5#.UkRLGYbryA-

-----

I preferred the Slowtwit thread, Why Are Triathletes So Fat.

How much you wanna bet that the average forumite here is probably NOT leaner than the average forumite on slowtwitch

That picture is so funny, and like written above, succinctly captures a nice cross section of tri dorks.
quite a red herring as far as this thread is concerned, no?

But since you got it started, being self-absorbed is not limited to just triathletes. Just go on a local group ride and note how many times people blow through lights

Also, they're training and stopping would likely have messed up their program.
I ain't stopping for people if i'm doing my more structured workouts. You can label me whatever you want. That said, if another rider is actually try to flag down a cyclist, different story.

I remember a post on Slowtwitch by a bike shop mechanic. A triathlete rushed in carrying his bike and needed to have it fixed. His bike had suffered a "mechanical emergency." He had dropped his chain and did not know how to put put it back on the chainring.

I always wondered how much was charged to fix it. At the very least I hope they took his man card.

Again, these bits of red herrings are relevant to the topic how? And who the hell are you to judge if someone should give up his man card?

-----

I wonder what is it that all you are so smug about? That you look "cooler" or appear "cooler" to your roadie friends? Perhaps you may want to remember at the end of the day that most of us are just dorks in spandex. Behave accordingly.:rolleyes:

avalonracing
09-26-2013, 09:47 AM
And while I would like to point out that while many of us can beat a triathlete at our on discipline these people are swimming first and running after which I can't even think about before or after a hard ride.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Intermural rivalry. It is as it always was.

echappist
09-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Intermural rivalry. It is as it always was.

got it. Tradition justifies pettiness. Very logical

At least like the poster who enjoys passing triathlete, say you are an ass as opposed to hide behind some supposed age-old tradition.

BryanE
09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Looks like we have a triathlete here.
This could get interesting.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 10:14 AM

At least like the poster who enjoys passing triathlete, say you are an ass as opposed to hide behind some supposed age-old tradition.

Not tradition, human nature. Good natured ribbing and rivalries are part of the landscape.
When it turns to pushing, hooking or throwing a bean-ball, the line has been crossed.

Are you implying that T-letes don't slag on roadies?

PS: I also reveled in burning the young guy in full kit on a $5K bike off my wheel last weekend. Like I said, I'm a competitive A-hole.

PQJ
09-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Or anecdotal evidence which if extrapolated could just possibly maybe indicate a trend. Or not.

If you want to not offer help because your'e doing something, fine, whatever. I'll almost always at least ask, but that's just me; I admit that if doing a 20 mi tt, say, and it looks like i'm headed for a pb, yeah, probably less inclined to ask; dunno.

As to knowledge of equipment, perhaps I've just had a disproportionate number of encounters with triathletes who weren't adequately supplied or technically proficient. If I know I'm going to be spending lots of miles on a public road, potentially far from ready assistance, I make sure I can replace a tire and have the material to do so. Again, that's just me.

No offense intended to any triathletes here or anywhere; we can still be friends, I (almost) always lend a hand, and I'll give ya a tube and get my hands dirty if I have to.

echappist
09-26-2013, 10:27 AM

too lazy to be a triathlete. Though you'd be challenged to find a roadie who's more slowtwitch than i am.

Not tradition, human nature. Good natured ribbing and rivalries are part of the landscape.
When it turns to pushing, hooking or throwing a bean-ball, the line has been crossed.

Are you implying that T-letes don't slag on roadies?

PS: I also reveled in burning the young guy in full kit on a $5K bike off my wheel last weekend. Like I said, I'm a competitive A-hole.

Fair enough.

I'm not above passing triathletes while on my (invisible) aerobar. Yep, i act like an asshole of a clown from time to time.

-----

But enough about the rivalry and back to the main point about the video. For the good part of a week, it was a real Rashoman of a thread with people taking away from the picture whatever they want. Heck, it was still somewhat of a Rashoman even after the video was released. Trial by internet pitchfork at its finest.

the thing apparently garnered enough buzz that the woman was invited to go on the Today Show and tell her story but declined. Above all else, real sad state of affairs when you have blend in clueless self-absorption with over-aggressiveness. And that's before the boards lit up with unsubstantiated accusations...

Or anecdotal evidence which if extrapolated could just possibly maybe indicate a trend. Or not.

If you want to not offer help because your'e doing something, fine, whatever. I'll almost always at least ask, but that's just me; I admit that if doing a 20 mi tt, say, and it looks like i'm headed for a pb, yeah, probably less inclined to ask; dunno.

As to knowledge of equipment, perhaps I've just had a disproportionate number of encounters with triathletes who weren't adequately supplied or technically proficient. If I know I'm going to be spending lots of miles on a public road, potentially far from ready assistance, I make sure I can replace a tire and have the material to do so. Again, that's just me.

No offense intended to any triathletes here or anywhere; we can still be friends, I (almost) always lend a hand, and I'll give ya a tube and get my hands dirty if I have to.

fair enough. FTR, i actually will slow/stop and offer help on anything below a structured threshold workout as i can always just start over. That said, if it's a remote location or if the cyclist is flagging me down, different story.

cfox
09-26-2013, 10:30 AM

I really don't make it my objective when I ride to go out and pass triathletes, I just happen to be going faster than them on occasion. I just get a chuckle how every single time I do pass one it suddenly becomes a race with a (now) angry looking triathlete. I am an ass for many reasons, but I don't think the former is one of them.

cfox
09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
the Today show? for that? I've been bumped on the subway harder than that. It's a funny picture, but really, it's not that big a deal. She's a clueless clown, the dude is overly aggressive and looks like a douche...but sheesh, move on

echappist
09-26-2013, 11:05 AM
I really don't make it my objective when I ride to go out and pass triathletes, I just happen to be going faster than them on occasion. I just get a chuckle how every single time I do pass one it suddenly becomes a race with a (now) angry looking triathlete. I am an ass for many reasons, but I don't think the former is one of them.

Sorry, that was perhaps a bit harsh.

And yes, i do get somewhat of a smug satisfaction when i pass triathletes while going at high Z2/low Z3; perhaps a somewhat a-hole thing to do. I actually get more of a kick when I get dropped on the hills and pass the person on the flat roads ahead as the said person probably blew up going anaerobic on the hills while i keep it steady.

the Today show? for that? I've been bumped on the subway harder than that. It's a funny picture, but really, it's not that big a deal. She's a clueless clown, the dude is overly aggressive and looks like a douche...but sheesh, move on
No idea for what. May just have been a publicity stunt on the part of the woman. You are indeed correct on calling the dude overly aggressive, and the woman seems to be a drama queen on top of being self-absorbed and clueless. In one of her posts on beginnertriathlete, she repeated tried to point out how she didn't want any serious penalties to be handed down to the d-bag guy.

So while the Today show thing was mentioned, it may just have been a ploy put in by her or her blogger friend.

Buzz
09-26-2013, 03:28 PM
As a multiple ironman finisher and life long cyclist I have seen both sides of the coin.

A fair number of triathletes are poor bike handlers, have trouble fixing a flat, etc. and rightly subject to some mild ridicule for that. But most of those folks come from a run or swim background without a lot of riding in them. And believe me, despite their lack of skills can be incredibly strong and frankly in much better shape than most cyclists.

In my experience, the majority of the triathletes however are far more friendly and approachable than the road riding group.

A lot of roadies treat each ride, even a simple spin, as a race. I even find myself doing this (less now as I get older and maybe a little wiser) And lets not even talk about a weekend club event.

Most triathletes are simply on a training ride and are more concerned about their heartrate or power out put numbers then being passed.

Sorry to the OP that 11 triathletes passed you but they probably figured that because you are a roadie you knew how to change a flat or fix whatever mechanical issue you were having.....

I suspect though if you waved your arms or flagged someone down they would have stopped and helped.

As to the photo there are two groups in triathlons: Those racing and those participating. Sometimes they collide as apparently they did in this case.

Its happened to me. I was once coming down a finishing runway after 12 hours of Ironman when 20 of Anna's Bananas support group of family and friends all dressed in cute yellow t-shirts carrying large Anna Banana banana shaped signs stormed the finishing chute to run with Anna and I had to stop. Now, if I had a Kona qualifying time or PB I would have pushed my way through. (Ironman has since banned any spectators running in the finishing chute due to so many incidents like above.)

PanTerra
09-26-2013, 03:47 PM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/88DA05FA-9CBA-44EE-95A5-A1665EFD408B-2040-000002C8E20F00A2_zpsc1a50957.jpg

Triathletes gotta LOVE'em
This is what happened during a IM in September.

Ride safe.

Did you not have everything to fix the flat?

Shortsocks
09-26-2013, 04:17 PM
I did. Everything was fine.
But even IF I see a cyclist on the side of the road, I always Stop to give any assistance or at least slow Down to ask if they need any help or if they are okay. I guess I found it odd that, that many Triathletes passed me without even a nod.

PanTerra
09-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I did. Everything was fine.
But even IF I see a cyclist on the side of the road, I always Stop to give any assistance or at least slow Down to ask if they need any help or if they are okay. I guess I found it odd that, that many Triathletes passed me without even a nod.

Yeah, we always ask if they have everything as we go by, except if they are on a tri-bike.

rinconryder
09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
As a triathlete I take offense to this. There are assholes in every sport and to pick out one random incident and then make a blanket statement about a group as a whole is about short sighted as one can be. I don't have the time or even care but I am willing to bet I can find a similar incident from a crit in about two seconds. I just got back from ironman Tahoe where I started the swim in 30 degrees and snow capped mountains, biked 112 miles with 7500 some odd feet of climbing, and then ran a marathon after. It was a great suffer fest and I was surrounded by a lot of positive energy. Next week, when I feel like I don't have the flu, I am going to start training again with the cycling team that lets me train with them. They are cool guys and never blink am eye because I may show up with a TT bike every now and then.

To the OP: Get some perspective, dude.

Shortsocks
09-26-2013, 07:33 PM
As a triathlete I take offense to this. There are assholes in every sport and to pick out one random incident and then make a blanket statement about a group as a whole is about short sighted as one can be. I don't have the time or even care but I am willing to bet I can find a similar incident from a crit in about two seconds. I just got back from ironman Tahoe where I started the swim in 30 degrees and snow capped mountains, biked 112 miles with 7500 some odd feet of climbing, and then ran a marathon after. It was a great suffer fest and I was surrounded by a lot of positive energy. Next week, when I feel like I don't have the flu, I am going to start training again with the cycling team that lets me train with them. They are cool guys and never blink am eye because I may show up with a TT bike every now and then.

To the OP: Get some perspective, dude.

I never made a blanket statement. I just stated that the triatheltes that passed me on that particular day didn't stop or offer any assistance to me. Three pages I've made TWO posts, one the original and one on page three. Please go back and re-read what I didn't write. The last response was a answer to another member asking me a question.

If you can't take a joke or have some levity on the situation at hand (being that horrible picture) that's your issue. This thread wasn't created as a stoop to show off YOUR personal achievements as of your recent Iron Man. Or about all of the positive energy you recieved. I'm happy you recieved that positive energy. You should be very proud of yourself, it's quite the achievement.

You're special in my book son.

BryanE
09-26-2013, 08:22 PM
They always have to talk about their recent Ironman.
Even though it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Be careful or you may get this weeks training log.
In excruciating detail.

PanTerra
09-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Some of my best friends are Triathletes. :fight:

oldguy00
09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
After 20 years of biking, I am now a triathlete as well (past two years).

One thing I will give you is that there are a lot of triathletes with very poor bike handling skills. I think there are several reasons for this:
1. Less group riding in general, especially in races.
2. The sport is much more friendly for beginners, so they are beginners at biking too a lot of the time.
3. They are often on TT bikes which aren't exactly great for handling, or learning to handle a bike in general.

THAT said, from my experience, triathletes in general are WAY more friendly than roadies. Roadies are a very clicky stuck up bunch. And the stronger the rider, usually the more stuck up. And as someone else mentioned, there is way way more positive energy, excitement, cheering, etc at a triathlon. No comparison.

I did Ironman Mont Tremblant this Summer, and I can tell you that in 20+ years of racing, it was the most impressive, amazing venue/race I have ever been to.

And as someone else mentioned, I can guarantee you that the average slow twitcher is in a lot better shape than the average person here.

snah
09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
+1

I want to see that.

This is my favorite tri video clip ever, I could seriously watch is all day and not get bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcqIgCJNjto

That is classically evil!!:hello::hello:

MattTuck
09-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Also a classic. T1 chaos. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw)

Shortsocks
09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
That is classically evil!!:hello::hello:

Lol. That's some incredibly funny stuff. I really do feel bad though. I hope they are all okay, some of those falls could hurt.
I remember years ago climbing 23-26% grades in Europe I would fall over, just didn't know how to climb well back then. I once was climbing such a steep grade I flipped over, like a moron, tried pulling on the tops of my bars too hard. I've had so many embarrassing falls.