PDA

View Full Version : OT: HS Coach Suspends Entire Football Team

firerescuefin
09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Need more coaches/adults like this. Thought this would reasonate with some of you.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865587020/Taking-a-stand-Union-High-coach-suspends-entire-football-team-in-lesson-about-character.html?pg=all

gasman
09-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Good on the coach. I wonder though if it had been anywhere but Utah that there would have been outrage by the players and parents against the coach.
I hope I'm wrong but it seems there is too much entitlement in general these days.

firerescuefin
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Gentlemen, we are not pleased with how our football brothers are representing our family, school, community, alumni, family and yourselves. It is a privilege to play this wonderful game! We must earn the opportunity, to have the honor to put on our high schools jersey each Thursday and Friday night! The lack of character we are showing off the field is outshining what we are achieving on the field. We want student-athletes that are humble to learn and grow through adversity and success on and off the field. We want a team that others want to associate themselves with and support; winning isn't the most important criteria for that to happen.

Humbleness, thankfulness, humility, respect, courage and honor are much more important than winning ballgames! We can achieve both if we start to act with others' feelings in mind and focus on how we can make someone else's day instead of just wrapped up in ourselves. WHEN WE ARE WORKING ON THIS AND ACHIEVING THIS WE WILL BE MOLDING OUR CHARACTER IN A POSITIVE WAY! Right now we are way off as a collective group. We want change and are going to make changes now.

As of tonight we are no longer playing football until we meet certain criteria!

TURN YOUR JERSEYS IN NOW!

Saturday: 7:00 a.m. electing captains "Attitude Reflects Leadership" — Remember the Titans.

Monday: 3:30 we will be doing a service project during practice time, come prepared to work, then we are all required to attend the Cougar Legend Banquet. Find ways to serve during this event.

Tuesday: We will be performing more service in lieu of practice.

Wednesday: Study Hall begins at 3:30 and we better have specific items to work on. We will be in there for the duration of practice. You must have enough work for 2 hours.

Criteria to EARN jersey back for Friday's Game

1) Attend all practices that we have planned and any others that may come up.

2) Be on time and totally prepared

3) No F's or discipline problems

4) Do an individual service project for your family, give me a typed report of it and pictures and have your parents sign it. (Due Wed. before study hall)

5) Memorize and pass this quote off to one of the coaches at some point during study hall

"Good character is more to be praised than outstanding talent. Most talents are, to some extent, a gift. Good character, by contrast is not given to us. We have to build it, piece by piece — by thought, by choice, courage, and determination."

If you meet ALL criteria by Wednesday night, you will have earned the privilege to play in the games on Thursday and Friday. If you fail then you will miss this week's game.

Signed,

your coaches

Louis
09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
outrage by the players and parents against the coach

Yup. We'll see what the "boosters" say.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Need more coaches/adults like this. Thought this would reasonate with some of you.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865587020/Taking-a-stand-Union-High-coach-suspends-entire-football-team-in-lesson-about-character.html?pg=all

:hello:

"No parent complained about the decision to the administration. Most expressed support and gratitude."

#campyuserftw
09-25-2013, 06:28 PM
"Discipline gives you freedom"

This quote was on my locker room wall in high school.

Too many seek an abundance of freedom without the discipline, resulting in...chaos.

Louis
09-25-2013, 06:30 PM

A little too close to "Work will set you free" for my taste.

killacks
09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Perhaps this was the right move in this case.

I'm also surprised that administration backed the coach's decision, and that parent feedback was not negative. Maybe this speaks to the timing of the coach's decision.

I like the plan outlined in the text of the letter to athletes, too. I wonder what ongoing role the coaching staff will play in its enforcement.

OtayBW
09-25-2013, 06:52 PM
I like that they will attend the 'Cougar Legend Banquet' with instructions to find a way to serve. :hello:

alessandro
09-25-2013, 07:12 PM

A little too close to "Work will set you free" for my taste.

Ja.

avalonracing
09-25-2013, 07:12 PM
So wait.. they are all kicked off the team from Saturday through Wednesday and if they show that they can act like decent human beings for a couple of days they'll be back on the team by Friday without missing a game.

They better fly right after this or the coach will have to do something really drastic... Like frown at them.

FlashUNC
09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
So wait.. they are all kicked off the team from Saturday through Wednesday and if they show that they can act like decent human beings for a couple of days they'll be back on the team by Friday without missing a game.

They better fly right after this or the coach will have to do something really drastic... Like frown at them.

Yeah, this seemed more like a slap on the wrist than anything else.

firerescuefin
09-25-2013, 07:43 PM
It's called making a point/wake up call. If this (the first step) doesn't do it, you go to step 2. It's the right direction. You played football in HS?

CunegoFan
09-25-2013, 07:53 PM

It's Utah. The coach probably caught them drinking soda with caffeine or--heaven forbid--drinking coffee.

firerescuefin
09-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Not one mention of God in the article or letter. That's the best you got.

It's Utah. The coach probably caught them drinking soda with caffeine or--heaven forbid--drinking coffee.

vqdriver
09-25-2013, 08:20 PM
good on all involved. here in LA:
most coaches would have done absolutely nothing.
most parents would have complained.
most administrations would have balked.
most players would have rebelled.

even if nothing comes of it, it's heartening to know some adults are still trying

gasman
09-25-2013, 09:36 PM
good on all involved. here in LA:
most coaches would have done absolutely nothing.
most parents would have complained.
most administrations would have balked.
most players would have rebelled.

even if nothing comes of it, it's heartening to know some adults are still trying

This is what I would think the response would be in many parts of the country.

Good on the coaching staff for doing the right thing and thanks for posting firerescuefin.

avalonracing
09-25-2013, 10:00 PM
You played football in HS?

Actually, I did. And I quit the team even though I was getting playing time as I was more interested in chasing girls than rushing to practice after classes. I don't regret that decision as I wasn't ever going to play post HS.
On the other hand, my brother went to UVA on a full ride for football. I don't think he regrets that either as it saved my parents $100K and it still opens doors for him.

rab
09-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Very positive overall, thanks for sharing!

Hawker
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Good for the coaches, the administration and the parents. I'm not sure how that would work in TX, AL, or here in GA?