PDA

View Full Version : I've had a few people ask me about my CAAD-X Disc

InspectorGadget
09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
I've had a few people ask me about it, so I thought I'd share my 2013 CAAD-X Ultegra Disc commuter, gravel grinder and whatever comes my way bike.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/9940721185_0c8610a3d3_b.jpg

Changes and upgrades:
Praxis BB30 bottom bracket
Shimano R700 compact cranks
Stan's Alpha 340 wheels
TRP Spyre brake calipers and rotors
Vittoria Hyper Pro 700x32 tires
Planet Bike Cascadia fenders
Blackburn EX-1 Disc rack
Cannondale C1 seatpost
Cannondale C2 stem
Ortlieb Backroller Classic bags

Future changes:
Cannondale C2 handlebar
Lizard Skins 2.5 DSP tape - lime green

Additional photos can be seen here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22998272@N07/with/9940721185/)

oliver1850
09-25-2013, 09:57 PM
How do you like the discs? I have the (older?) non disc version, I think mine's a 2010. A bike you can use for just about anything. I wish they still made a touring bike though, the high BB does me no good as I'm never going to race CX.

druptight
09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I love my cascadia fenders. They're a delight.

InspectorGadget
09-26-2013, 10:38 AM
How do you like the discs? I have the (older?) non disc version, I think mine's a 2010. A bike you can use for just about anything. I wish they still made a touring bike though, the high BB does me no good as I'm never going to race CX.
I should have included some thoughts about actually riding the CAAD-X. I guess I'm so used to riding a lighter weight road bike, I was taken aback by how nice a bike could be with a rack and fenders. But the real change was when I loaded my bag full of clothes, lunch and a laptop on the rack - I was thrilled to get the weight off my back. With the longer wheelbase of the CAAD and the Hyper Pro tires, the ride is downright squishy. When the Vittorias wear out I might try some 28s as I don't really think I need the 32s. Who knows, after I've put enough miles on the bike to wear out the 32's, maybe I won't want a smaller tire.

I posted another thread asking about riding impressions for the Salsa Colossal Ti (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136934); one of the specific reasons I am looking at the Colossal is because it uses disc brakes. As I was thinking about how expensive nicer wheels are these days, the thought of replacing rotors and bearings is much more attractive than wearing through the brake track on a high-end pair of wheels.

Answering your question Oliver, I love the discs, especially since changing to the TRPs. The stock calipers were just OK, they didn't seem to offer as much stopping power or modulation capability as my Ultegra 6700 rim brakes. The TRPs are much better and I really enjoy their confident braking on a long descent or in the wet. Or both.

PaMtbRider
09-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I love the discs, especially since changing to the TRPs. The stock calipers were just OK, they didn't seem to offer as much stopping power or modulation capability as my Ultegra 6700 rim brakes. The TRPs are much better and I really enjoy their confident braking on a long descent or in the wet. Or both.

Good to hear about the TRP brakes. I rode a friends CaadX disc around the block and my first impression was God these Cannondale disc brakes suck.

oliver1850
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I like the idea of discs, particularly for the rim wear issue. I haven't tried any, but the people I've ridden with that have them have been sort of indifferent about them. I was surprised that they squeal, but didn't notice which brand was doing the squealing. I'm pretty sure all of Salsa's road frames are disc only at this point. Good to hear that there are disc setups that people are happy with.