PDA

View Full Version : Montezuma's revenge: The next Serot ... er, Saratoga

Elefantino
09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
The first bike from the new/old company in Saratoga Springs is out.

It's a Tomac (http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/25/ib13-tomac-returns-to-bikes-with-saratoga-made-consumer-direct-titanium-montezuma/).

Some parts look familiar.

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2013, 03:19 PM
. . . but indeed an unfortunate model name.

Will they next introduce the "Montehall" and make you a great on it? :rolleyes:

BBD

KidWok
09-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Nicely done...pricing is very competitive too.

Tai

jpw
09-26-2013, 04:51 AM
what's that head tube/ steerer tube size?

dd74
09-26-2013, 05:26 AM
The frame is drilled for Di2. Provided these are the same builders with the same Ti as from the Serotta days, I thought it was decided then that drilling Ti for electronic was a structural no-no. Hmmm, I wonder what's changed...;)

Chromoroboto
09-26-2013, 05:34 AM
I thought the former Serotta does every single part in-house, but now, according to that report, dropouts and headtube are from Paragon. Nothing wrong with Paragon parts at all, but can this be one cost saving measure by Saratoga to bring the price down?

dekindy
09-26-2013, 05:35 AM
So how can they build a frame for someone else that adds another layer of cost/profit at this price point? Lower grade titanium and carbon, different manufacturing technique?

Frame price does not include fork?

mike p
09-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Very nice frame a reasonable price. I also like the option of supplying your own top tube for 500.00 less!

Mike

jpw
09-26-2013, 05:50 AM
The frame is drilled for Di2. Provided these are the same builders with the same Ti as from the Serotta days, I thought it was decided then that drilling Ti for electronic was a structural no-no. Hmmm, I wonder what's changed...;)

the duration and cost of warranty?

dd74
09-26-2013, 05:58 AM
the duration and cost of warranty?
Yep, and need to make the initial buyout/firing of Serotta worth the monetary effort.

old fat man
09-26-2013, 05:58 AM
So how can they build a frame for someone else that adds another layer of cost/profit at this price point? Lower grade titanium and carbon, different manufacturing technique?

Frame price does not include fork?

they've shed themselves of the debt they incurred. No more CA carbon facility and probably didn't pay a handful of outstanding bills that are "Serotta's problem."

TimD
09-26-2013, 07:56 AM
they've shed themselves of the debt they incurred. No more CA carbon facility and probably didn't pay a handful of outstanding bills that are "Serotta's problem."

When one buys a company one (typically) assumes the liabilities of that company. Failure to disclose any liabilities during the due diligence phase may constitute fraud. That Serotta had liabilities (as you imply, but have you seen their books?) is neither surprising, unusual, nor somehow wrong.

cmg
09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Bike looks cool overall. Glad the employees are working. The shifters remind of the headress from the planet of apes. it's a bit tall, must be where the hydraulics are.

jpw
09-27-2013, 04:17 AM
I thought the former Serotta does every single part in-house, but now, according to that report, dropouts and headtube are from Paragon. Nothing wrong with Paragon parts at all, but can this be one cost saving measure by Saratoga to bring the price down?

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HT0005

one of these? it looks similar. it gives good steerer tube/ fork options. what's not to like?

i'm not taken by the look of the dropouts, but that can be worked out.

rwsaunders
09-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Agreed...most likely some vendors were left holding the bag.

dave thompson
09-27-2013, 08:39 AM

Serotta never had any ownership of the carbon facility in Poway, California. Mike Lopez owns it.

nicrump
09-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Nicely done...pricing is very competitive too.

Tai

indeed great pricing but with 3 layers of US margin (saratoga/distributor/LBS) is it sustainable?

Mikej
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Group that bought Serotta had better credit and was able to restructure debt to free up some cash and build a competitive price frame. More than likely not the same material used for a Legend. Also, in house parts like head tubes, drop outs and bottom brackets and such are probably expensive vs paragon sourced parts. Plus they could possibly sell the machinery for additional cash. As for the above post about di2 drilling, I've never heard it to be a no no, they've been drilling water bottle and head tubes badge holes for decades. Tomac just collects a royalty, Johnny t is not really involved. Montezuma is the county where his ranch is.

Kirk Pacenti
09-27-2013, 10:41 AM
indeed great pricing but with 3 layers of US margin (saratoga/distributor/LBS) is it sustainable?

I'm pretty sure its consumer direct.

Cheers,
KP