PDA

View Full Version : SPD-SL vs SpeedPlay Pedals, looking for some insight

Not the Slowest
09-25-2013, 11:50 AM
So the question is have you used SPD-SL & Speedplay and which do you find "better" and why?
Been riding for 10 plus years and some years doing over 8500 miles with SPD MT shoes and always liked them so I could easily walk in them especially for commuting.

Well I am looking to change things up and actually not really sure why other than stiffness, larger platform and figure it would be an experiment on my side.

Thanks Robert

christian
09-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I was a long time Speedplay X-pedal series user. I switched to SPD-SL about two years ago.

Here's what I posted a while ago across the hall:

I went from Speedplay X-series to SPD-SL. I'm happier and more handsome now. I also believe I have slightly thicker hair, but that may be a placebo effect.

dekindy
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Most people that have Speedplay swear by them and I have spd-sl so I am biased. I have not seen anybody that I ride with have problems with spd-sl. However I have seen plenty of people lose screws or not have screws tightened correctly and get stuck in their pedals. I was seriously considering switching to speedplay myself and then read about the base problems that develop and causes the foot to rock side to side(there is probably a better description but going by memory). New spd-sl have a metal wear plate that does not require replacement so be certain to get the new model.

As far as largeness of platform, I believe speedplay claims their cleat is the platform and is larger than spd-sl.

The market is fairly evenly divided between spd-sl, speedplay, and spd. If you are not having any major difficulties with your current pedals you should probably keep them. It is no fun to walk in non-spd pedals.

druptight
09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
What SPD pedals are you using?

Something like these ultegra level touring platform type SPD pedals might allow you to keep your shoes and your ability to walk while giving you the platform you desire?

http://www.planetcyclery.com/pedals/shimano-pd-a600-spd-pedals/

Not the Slowest
09-25-2013, 01:06 PM
I have http://www.planetcyclery.com/pedals/shimano-pd-m780-deore-xt-xc-pedals/

No problem with them to speak of, except maybe a clip out on a climb, but I think that is from an adjustment I need in fitting.

I understand that the Speedplays will allow more fitting options in regard to float, no-float, height or fore-aft adjustments and shims if needed.

It does appear that there are more shoes coming to the market from Sidi & Lake that are Speedplay specific with 4 holes.

What SPD pedals are you using?

Something like these ultegra level touring platform type SPD pedals might allow you to keep your shoes and your ability to walk while giving you the platform you desire?

http://www.planetcyclery.com/pedals/shimano-pd-a600-spd-pedals/

KidWok
09-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Don't bother changing...truly.

I spent many years only riding on carbon soled SPD mtb shoes for commuting and long rides. Only recently went back to SPD SL's on a couple of road bikes just because I couldn't stand the look of double sided SPD's on them. I even tried those single sided A600's Druptight mentions, which is a sacrifice of double-sided entry for style.

In the days before carbon soled mtb shoes, having a wider platform for road pedals was important for eliminating hot spots, especially on long rides when a nylon sole would get softer.

Now that I'm back on road shoes for my nice road bikes, I'm constantly reminded of how silly I am to sacrifice function for style...especially as I click around with my toes in the air off the bike.

Tai

Not the Slowest
09-25-2013, 01:09 PM
The market is fairly evenly divided between spd-sl, speedplay, and spd. If you are not having any major difficulties with your current pedals you should probably keep them. It is no fun to walk in non-spd pedals.

I guess the question comes in to WHY would I want a road shoe then?
Will I have more power?
Less fatigue?
Feel more united with my pedal?

Weight is not an issue in the shoe for me, even though I buy mid-range quality MTB shoes only because of cost. I weigh 205 so, whats a few ounces/grams more?

rice rocket
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Judging by what you said, I'd either get a high stiffness MTB shoe and keep SPDs or a mid-range road shoes + SPD-SL, IMHO.

cp43
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I guess the question comes in to WHY would I want a road shoe then?
Will I have more power?
Less fatigue?
Feel more united with my pedal?

Weight is not an issue in the shoe for me, even though I buy mid-range quality MTB shoes only because of cost. I weigh 205 so, whats a few ounces/grams more?

I use SPDs and SPD-SLs. For me, the only reason I like the SPD-SLs better than the SPDs is that I get hot spots on long rides (60+ miles) with the smaller cleats. Stiffer soled shoes, and pedals with a bit of a platform have helped, but I still prefer the larger pedal cleat for long miles.

If you don't have any discomfort with your current setup, I'd suggest not changing.

Chris

druptight
09-25-2013, 01:34 PM
I even tried those single sided A600's Druptight mentions, which is a sacrifice of double-sided entry for style.

I've never used anything double sided, I've got SPD-SL's on my road bike and SPD's (A600/A520 Style) on my commuter. Once you get used to them you can click in without ever looking. They are weighted so that the back goes down, so as you slide your foot forward the pedal ends up with the clip in side facing skyward. I've never had any issue clipping in. But if you're not used to it, maybe it can be an issue for people.

I'd stick with SPD if I were you, and either go with the larger platform style pedal, or stiffer soled shoe as mentioned above.

christian
09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I use SPDs and SPD-SLs. For me, the only reason I like the SPD-SLs better than the SPDs is that I get hot spots on long rides (60+ miles) with the smaller cleats. Stiffer soled shoes, and pedals with a bit of a platform have helped, but I still prefer the larger pedal cleat for long miles.

If you don't have any discomfort with your current setup, I'd suggest not changing.
This is some wisdom here. I like my SPD-SLs on my 2 road bikes and I like my SPDs on my MTB and CX bike, but seriously, I basically have different systems because it's fashion.

AngryScientist
09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
I basically have different systems because it's fashion.

i endorse this message.

if i am out and about and i see a road bike on someone's car, or leaned against a coffee shop window with MTB pedals on it, i automatically make the same assumptions about the rider as i would if there were plastic reflectors attached to the wheels, a basket strapped to the handlebars or a big rear reflector on the bike.

christian
09-25-2013, 01:54 PM
That's funny. My better half doesn't care about fashion (on bikes) and wants a good pedal with walkable shoes.

So she rides a Parlee Z5/Record 10 with XTR pedals and Carnac Passy road shoes (I scored her a NOS pair last year). It does not appear to slow her down.

Likes2ridefar
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
I used speedplay for a number of years, x series and then zero, and a few years ago went to Dura-Ace 7900 and now the 9000.

I also have XTR 980 pedals on my commuter and cross bike. And used XT for a number of years before the XTR. And before that egg beaters....shimano take the win easy especially if using them mostly on the road.

From speedplay to SPD-SL, very glad I made the change. Much easier to walk in, cleats are cheaper and last a lot longer, and i feel more stable when doing things like sprinting out of the saddle or standing on climbs.

Going from SPD to SPD-SL, often on the same day, I notice a significant difference of feeling more solidly clipped in as well as stability with the SPD-SL easily winning on both fronts.

for what it's worth, my mountain bike shoe soles are stiffer than the road shoes I use.

josephr
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Don't bother changing...truly.

I spent many years only riding on carbon soled SPD mtb shoes for commuting and long rides. Only recently went back to SPD SL's on a couple of road bikes just because I couldn't stand the look of double sided SPD's on them. I even tried those single sided A600's Druptight mentions, which is a sacrifice of double-sided entry for style.

In the days before carbon soled mtb shoes, having a wider platform for road pedals was important for eliminating hot spots, especially on long rides when a nylon sole would get softer.

Now that I'm back on road shoes for my nice road bikes, I'm constantly reminded of how silly I am to sacrifice function for style...especially as I click around with my toes in the air off the bike.

Tai

+1 --- I've ridden a variety of pedals over the years and have early 90s Shimano/Look pedals. The damn things just won't die. Last year I even bought a new set of 105-SL pedals to get 'current' but the hassle of re-fitting and adjusting to a new pedal system for my road bikes is a bridge I've yet to cross.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....put the dollars into your super secrent savings account that for that custom steel dream ride.
Joe

fiamme red
09-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Neither. Clips and straps with slotted cleats. :)

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=200

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=192

Not the Slowest
09-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Well I don't judge...well maybe I do. I started with the SPD's and just stuck with them.
Of course if I did as everyone says, I would be more screwed up than I am now.

As stated, there is lots to the advantage of a two sided pedal and just click and go especially when commuting.

On the track, I am the only racer with SPD's. Now people have said to me that they would never use them because you can clip out easily. Well in 2 years I can say I have seen lots of racers clipping out with both SPD-SL & Speedplay, but never me in my SPD's.

Hmm, I see that I will need to give this more research into the PRO vs Con's of the Power, or Output of using any of the three on the road.
Of course I think I have 3 pairs of Road shoes accumulated.

The idea of the Carbon MTB shoe, does make sense.

i endorse this message.

if i am out and about and i see a road bike on someone's car, or leaned against a coffee shop window with MTB pedals on it, i automatically make the same assumptions about the rider as i would if there were plastic reflectors attached to the wheels, a basket strapped to the handlebars or a big rear reflector on the bike.

regularguy412
09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
My .02:

I never could see the benefit in using a cleat/pedal system where all the moving parts are on the bottom of the shoe,,, just asking to get fouled with mud, rocks, etc.

I also started out with the delta cleat/no-float revolution back in the late '80's. I tried the float cleats one time. Never could get used to them. I prefer the more secure feeling of being locked in.

Mike in AR:beer:

mgm777
09-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I haved used Speedplay Zeroes for over ten years. Never had a problem. Cleats fouled only once when I walked through mud. Completely my fault. I have Shimano XTR pedals on my MTB. While the quality of my Shimano pedals is top notch, I don't prefer the release motion over my Speedplays. With Shimano, I feel I have to twist my knee too much to get them to release, even with the springs adjusted with less retention. The Speedplay clip-in and clip-out motion is more intuitive to me. Both are great pedals. On my road bike, I am completely content with my Zeroes. Rode Xs for a few years, but found I preferred less float. That's why I switched to Zeros. As for Pedal maintenance, I check my cleats at the start of each season, replace if necessary, and periodically check screw tighteness and wear before big ride events. That's it. For me, my Speedplay Zeros have been bullet proof. I ride over 5K miles a year on two bikes. Never had a problem with them.

Not the Slowest
09-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Yup, Plenty of the guys use them, but I'm the one who would need someone to stop him so I can unstrap. We lack an inside area to rest against, except the rail.

Neither. Clips and straps with slotted cleats. :)

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=200

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=192

deechee
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I rode SPDs on mountain bikes for years (646s), switched to Speedplay zeros on my first road bike, and switched to SPD-SL and haven't looked back.

My main issue with Zeros was the overabundance of float. The meniscus in my knee would go out of place if I did long climbs standing. It was really annoying. Also, the speedplay cleat is absolutely worthless if you end up in any dirt. Once its in there, you're either glued to your pedal or not coming out. Nooo thank you.

Can't comment on whether you'll have more power or comfort, as I didn't ride carbon soles with the speedplays. The Shimano road shoes with carbon soles + SPDSL seem way more comfortable than SPDs+Shimano carbon mtn shoes but there are so many variables, mainly that of completely different bikes. If anything, the custom orthotics I got from my local podiatrist have done more than any upgrade in terms of improving comfort & power. (I just picked up a 2nd pair this morning.)

I've pulled out accidentally with spds and spd sl's, although I definitely wear down my cleats. Speedplay engagement is more of a stomp-down motion rather than Shimano's slide-in-and-lock.

ptourkin
09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I used A-600s and fairly stiff (Dom 5) mtb shoes on brevets last year and I was getting hotspots on the 400-600ks. I am more comfortable now on SPD-SLs. I was also getting some discomfort from the big movement to unclip from regular SPDs when the going got late. Both could have been adjustment issues, but I feel more comfortable on SLs.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2013, 05:12 PM
So the question is have you used SPD-SL & Speedplay and which do you find "better" and why?
Been riding for 10 plus years and some years doing over 8500 miles with SPD MT shoes and always liked them so I could easily walk in them especially for commuting.

Well I am looking to change things up and actually not really sure why other than stiffness, larger platform and figure it would be an experiment on my side.

Thanks Robert

Zero-
-2 sided, easy in and out
-adjustable float
-easily serviceable
-ability to buy small parts
-ability to buy one pedal if ya kill one

firerescuefin
09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
My main issue with Zeros was the overabundance of float

Seeing that they're adjustable to 0 float, you're probably talking about an X series pedal and not the zero.

DerekB
09-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Another vote for Speedplay. I just got these:

http://www.keeponkovers.com

They are cleat covers you can leave on all the time. Great idea and great product so far.