PDA

View Full Version : OT: America's Cup (sailing + spoiler)

Louis
09-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Has anyone been following the races?

That's been just about the most incredible comeback ever.

New Zealand Herald is bumming (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/headlines.cfm?c_id=4)

rnhood
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Its been outstanding - I've watched every race. Totally shocking and tomorrow I will be biting my fingernails. Gosh I hope Oracle takes it. Even if they lose, they can certainly come in with their heads held high.

The boats are simply awesome. I hope they keep this class and the format. And, of course I hope Team Oracle wins. The race would stay once again in San Fran.

TPetsch
09-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes, What an amazing series.

gasman
09-24-2013, 06:37 PM
The last few days was exactly what I didn't expect. I figured NZ would easily win. Pretty amazing racing. I also like the boats and the venue. I crewed in the 70's for several different friends on the Bay and the boats were so slow compared to these big cats.
If the US wins it will be one of the comebacks of all times.

#campyuserftw
09-24-2013, 06:52 PM
If the US wins it will be one of the comebacks of all times.

If the US wins, it will be the biggest comeback of all-time.

America was down 0-2 due to penalty, in first to 9 winning, before the races even began.
America down 8-1 as of last Wednesday.
Tied 8-8 today.
Winner takes all tomorrow at 1:15 pm Pacific Time.

I am leaving work tomorrow at 4 pm, heading to local pub, and watching it.

:banana:

MattTuck
09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
USA! (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Wg1xJSiPsm4/UajVu9mtImI/AAAAAAAAEUE/1LJaHau_5qE/w958-h573-no/IMAG0180.jpg) USA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rcENEx81XqE#t=4890) USA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvwtOQYQ-E) USA? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yf1nJYkCHQ)

Louis
09-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Except the fact that there really aren't many Americans in the crew. Mostly, it's American money.

pdmtong
09-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I am leaving work tomorrow at 4 pm, heading to local pub, and watching it.

I am leaving work tomorrow at 9am, heading to the marina green, and watching it LIVE in person.

gasman
09-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Except the fact that there really aren't many Americans in the crew. Mostly, it's American money.

THIS is very true. Aussies and Kiwis with Italian, Dutch and UK I think.

Still, a darn good series.

rounder
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I watched some of the races . Did not see that one. My thoughts were...how come they are not still racing sloops. But have to admit, those things are high tech and really fast. Go USA.

tiretrax
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
USA! (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Wg1xJSiPsm4/UajVu9mtImI/AAAAAAAAEUE/1LJaHau_5qE/w958-h573-no/IMAG0180.jpg) USA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rcENEx81XqE#t=4890) USA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvwtOQYQ-E) USA? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yf1nJYkCHQ)

3 out of 4 isn't bad. I can think of quite a few other examples that would have fit the syllogism - Lance don't cut it. Beautiful bike, btw (I think I've said that before).

fuzzalow
09-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Go Oracle, Go USA.

Over the summer read "The Billionaire and the Mechanic" by Julian Guthrie that chronicles Larry Ellison's involvement and his influence in 'evolving' the America's Cup. I prefer the grace of the 12-meter boats but it is reasonable that the average spectator is made aware more of the spectacle of speed rather than the tactics in running the race. Those AC class boats are quick and racing is racing.

ajz07
09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Was there for the first two races, and even actually got to go out in the water in a chase boat on the second race. Now back on the east coast and have had to settle for TV coverage. Let me tell you those things are fast and exceedingly impressive.

If you have been following the races (or perhaps even if you haven't) I think it is important to note that the American comeback came after the Kiwi's almost capsized their boat. Quite possible that they damaged their boat somehow and that has been hurting them ever since, as they have seemed slower in the water ever since that event (yes both teams have two boats, but you always race the fastest and the other one might be significantly slower). Way back in the day it used to be an American strategy to make the other teams/ nations sail their boats across the ocean in order to compete. The idea being that the other boats would get dinged up on their way over and it would make them slower.... it worked exceptionally well.

wallymann
09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
interesting possibility. it is definitely puzzling how the boats respective performances has basically reversed. clearly the US team is better than they were operationally (better turns, etc), but now that boat is a rocketship compared to the first few races. i hadnt noticed if NZ had truly also gotten slower, or if they only seemed slower due to the US improvement.

team US also seems to be much more tactially saavy at the starts, again a complete reversal from the first few races.

the US team has talked about adjustments to make the boat faster, i'm sure based on all sorts of analysis they have available right around the corner. but NZ probably has practical limits on some of the analysis they can do, much less improvements they can make, being an away race for team NZ and not having all the resources they might have at their home port down under.

If you have been following the races (or perhaps even if you haven't) I think it is important to note that the American comeback came after the Kiwi's almost capsized their boat. Quite possible that they damaged their boat somehow and that has been hurting them ever since, as they have seemed slower in the water ever since that event (yes both teams have two boats, but you always race the fastest and the other one might be significantly slower). Way back in the day it used to be an American strategy to make the other teams/ nations sail their boats across the ocean in order to compete. The idea being that the other boats would get dinged up on their way over and it would make them slower.... it worked exceptionally well.

wallymann
09-25-2013, 08:01 AM
~30 knots by wind alone? that is ridiculous.

we have friends that own a 45 foot yacht with dual volvo-penta turbodiesels -- it is a beast! that thing can cruise in the low 30s and it takes all the power those engines have to get up on plane. it's quite a ruckus with all the engine noise and the ride can be quite rough unless the water is glassy, but a sail-boat getting up to that speed and faster simply boggles my mind.

http://brown-snout.com/events/2007_getaway_overnite/dsc00302.jpg

oldpotatoe
09-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Was there for the first two races, and even actually got to go out in the water in a chase boat on the second race. Now back on the east coast and have had to settle for TV coverage. Let me tell you those things are fast and exceedingly impressive.

Yowser, it's like having 2 Rare Bears.

MattTuck
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I heard that if New Zealand wins, they'd make some pretty big rules changes. Among them:

All crew would have to be citizens of the country they race for.
Boats would be smaller/cheaper increasing the number of competitors

Not sure if this is true or not, but that sounds like those might be good things.

#campyuserftw
09-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I heard that if New Zealand wins, they'd make some pretty big rules changes. Among them:

All crew would have to be citizens of the country they race for.
Boats would be smaller/cheaper increasing the number of competitors

Not sure if this is true or not, but that sounds like those might be good things.

I hope the above ring true! While onboard nationalism might be tough to make stick, these billion dollar death stars are technological terrors, cost too much, and limit the field.

rnhood
09-25-2013, 02:13 PM
The aggregate campaign cost is approximately $100M while the AC72 boat cost is $8-10M. Making the boats smaller is probably not the answer.

MattTuck
09-25-2013, 03:09 PM
it's on!

My experience with watching pirated cycling streams pays off. (http://www.hahabar.com/20130924/v--649314-5241e95a73b881.58386105.html)

LOL.

DRZRM
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM
God bless Matt,

Awesome!!

it's on!

My experience with watching pirated cycling streams pays off. (http://www.hahabar.com/20130924/v--649314-5241e95a73b881.58386105.html)

LOL.

#campyuserftw
09-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Christopher Cross eating a Twinkie, it's on! They are flying...:banana:

KidWok
09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Amazing!

Tai

#campyuserftw
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Stuck at work. Watching it on iPhone. It's clocking...BUT it seems USA is kicking butt!!!

Please confirm.

MattTuck
09-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Spoiler alert. though we probably don't need one again since the thread has one.

Oracle takes it!

#campyuserftw
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Was not close! Who-hah!!! :banana:

rnhood
09-25-2013, 03:46 PM
A short yet outstanding day at the races. Huge complements to Team Oracle, and to Larry Ellison! They did a great job.

Elefantino
09-25-2013, 06:48 PM
In three or four years here's hoping we can see 12-meters again.

(Sigh.)

gasman
09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
In three or four years here's hoping we can see 12-meters again.

(Sigh.)

Not me, I also like F1. Watching the 12 meters race in light winds was like watching grass grow. Heck sailing in light winds is like watching grass grow.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Not me, I also like F1. Watching the 12 meters race in light winds was like watching grass grow. Heck sailing in light winds is like watching grass grow.

Mee too..I think it was amazing..like watching the Gold race at Reno or MotoGP or F1..unlimited is 'unlimited'.

Such a huge turnaround..was the Emirates' boat damaged when they almost 'turned turtle'?

Seems like it all changed after that.

wallymann
09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/sports/oracle-completes-voyage-to-history-to-win-americas-cup.html

Modifications were made to multiple aspects of its AC72, from the hydrofoils to the wing sail that was its primary power source. And unlike Team New Zealand, Oracle sailed with a new measurement certificate — reflecting changes to its boat’s configuration — for every race as it searched relentlessly for incremental improvements.

Russell Coutts, the most successful skipper in the Cup’s modern history and Oracle’s chief executive, shared some details, looking as relieved as he did delighted.

“The major changes in my view were the balance of the boat, where obviously the load sharing between the foils is critical, so we adjusted that quite a lot,” said Coutts, an engineer by education.

“We changed that loading by manipulating the wing shapes and flaps. So we didn’t actually change anything in a physical sense. We just changed the setting, so we more bottom-loaded the wing and more off-loaded that, and that created a different loading for the foils. And that was probably the biggest change we made.

“And then there were a bunch of little changes that just reduced the drag a few kilos here and a few kilograms there, and all the sudden you have an edge.”

mee three...AC72s are a zillion times better sport than classic 12-meter stuff. yawn. i'd *almost* rather watch texas hold 'em instead.

firerescuefin
09-26-2013, 08:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9cPSF1x_4

sg8357
09-26-2013, 08:38 AM
The next Americas Cup has been announced, Ellison vs. Musk vs. Branson.

One race only, first guy around the Moon that lands back in San Francisco Bay wins. Got to be cheaper than AC-72s.

Lanterne Rouge
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM
It has been an incredible regatta.

I'm miffed (I'm British so miffed is an acceptable mood to be in) as I wanted ETNZ to win. I don't think this is the end of it either. The Americas Cup has always be plagued by legal wranglings.

It's difficult for me to get my head around ETNZ being so dominant in the first half and then OTUSA being equally as dominant in the second half of the regatta. I don't think R. Coutts is accuate with the "incremental improvements", it flipped in one day.

Anyway I think it is good for sailing that it was so exciting.

enr1co
09-26-2013, 09:43 AM
The next Americas Cup has been announced, Ellison vs. Musk vs. Branson.

One race only, first guy around the Moon that lands back in San Francisco Bay wins. Got to be cheaper than AC-72s.

Good one!:D

bluesea
09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
My take.

Spectacular racing of course, but look at Team New Zealand--pretty much an all New Zealand crew. They sailed for God and Country so to speak, and that is something I respect more than anything Team Oracle has accomplished.

Louis
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
but look at Team New Zealand--pretty much an all New Zealand crew. They sailed for God and Country so to speak, and that is something I respect more than anything Team Oracle has accomplished.

The mercenary aspect of Oracle does detract from the accomplishment. But relatively speaking, big-time sailing just isn't that important in the US. The same thing would happen if you were to have a NZ vs US rugby match. The All Blacks would destroy us, unless we could recruit guys from elsewhere.

As it turns out, what may well have won the Cup for Oracle is all the effort they put into refining the boat, and that was lots of R&D type of effort, something the US is good at doing.

Rob1519
09-26-2013, 04:21 PM
it has been an incredible regatta.

I'm miffed (i'm british so miffed is an acceptable mood to be in) as i wanted etnz to win. I don't think this is the end of it either. The americas cup has always be plagued by legal wranglings.

It's difficult for me to get my head around etnz being so dominant in the first half and then otusa being equally as dominant in the second half of the regatta. I don't think r. Coutts is accuate with the "incremental improvements", it flipped in one day.

Anyway i think it is good for sailing that it was so exciting.

epo?

enr1co
09-26-2013, 05:07 PM
It has been an incredible regatta.

I'm miffed (I'm British so miffed is an acceptable mood to be in) as I wanted ETNZ to win. I don't think this is the end of it either. The Americas Cup has always be plagued by legal wranglings.

It's difficult for me to get my head around ETNZ being so dominant in the first half and then OTUSA being equally as dominant in the second half of the regatta. I don't think R. Coutts is accuate with the "incremental improvements", it flipped in one day.

Anyway I think it is good for sailing that it was so exciting.

On local news radio KCBS today, they were interviewing some naval engineer and team who worked into the night tweeking the rudders using super computer modeling to reduce drag/ increase speed after the first few races. Nice to be backed by oracle and unlimited resources :rolleyes:
Imho, there should be a rule that you cant mods the boat entered once the competition starts.

I was rooting for NZ also as I dont really care for oracle and slick Larry. :butt: ...and no, its not being un-patriotic as many have concurred, Team USA isnt truly "a Team USA".