PDA

View Full Version : 10 things people never say in restaurants

plattyjo
09-24-2013, 11:16 AM
as noted by a bike mechanic (http://thesecretbikemechanic.blogspot.com/2012/10/10-things-people-never-say-in.html).

Joachim
09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes and on the flip side I had a bike shop told me yesterday they can't get me a demo to try out, but I can buy/preorder the bike and its the "fastest, most comfortable, best carbon bike they have ever ridden". Awesome..please take my 6k.

Ie...Order one of the most expensive meals on the menu, it may be under cooked or even bad tasting, but you can't send it back. Just eat it and pretend you like it.

For every good one, there are 4 bad ones.

Chefrider
09-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Ahhhh, but you can resell carbon; best you can do with your meal is give your dog an unbelievable dinner!! Or choose a trusted restaurant. Cheers

Aaron O
09-24-2013, 01:10 PM
The analogy doesn't work for me...I'm an LBS guy, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect me to cater to their egos. I have project X I want done...tell me what it costs for X. Most of the time I'm looking for an obscure vintage part they won't have...if I ask them to "cook the bike for me with a special ingredient", I expect them to give me a price and reasonably good service...or say no thanks. I don't expect to be attacked for asking.

From a guy on very good terms with his LBS, who value my business and don't find it insulting if I bring in a part.

plattyjo
09-24-2013, 02:15 PM
The analogy doesn't work for me...I'm an LBS guy, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect me to cater to their egos. I have project X I want done...tell me what it costs for X. Most of the time I'm looking for an obscure vintage part they won't have...if I ask them to "cook the bike for me with a special ingredient", I expect them to give me a price and reasonably good service...or say no thanks. I don't expect to be attacked for asking.

From a guy on very good terms with his LBS, who value my business and don't find it insulting if I bring in a part.

I read into his post as people who shop online then bring in the parts to be installed in the LBS - even if the parts are available in the store itself.

christian
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Even if they do, so what? Building bicycles is a fine service that smart bike shops charge appropriately for.

Just last Tuesday, I brought my MTB in to my LBS:

"Please change all the cables and housing and give it a tune-up and while you're at it, please install this bar I bought on the Paceline forum, and this stem which I bought used from your mechanic, and these grips which I bought new from ESI online, and install this bashguard which is from my parts bin but obviously was bought from BBG some time long ago. Also, do you have any of those K-Edge Garmin holders. Ok, I'll get one of those too."

"Ok, it'll be $70 for the tune-up, plus the cables and $40 for the K-Edge. Come back at 4pm and it'll be ready."

I think it was $~160 all in. Maybe they charged me a couple bucks to swap the bars/stem. But in any case, I don't think they'd improve their business model by refusing to install my grips...

Grant McLean
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM
In reality, I think some bike shops see themselves as 5 star restaurants,
when they are more like a circle k, self serve convience store.

-g

1centaur
09-24-2013, 02:38 PM
It is more convenient to shop online even if the price is the same, which it usually is not. A shop that cannot survive that truth will not survive.

As for the article, retailers whining about retail is one reason people shop online.

plattyjo
09-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Since I don't work at an LBS, I can only guess it must be hard to find that balance of "how much should we stock" so that customers who do want instant gratification can get the part (or folks who come in and might impulse buy) vs. "let's carry only the basics/clothes/bikes" and emphasize service instead. There are definitely a lot of articles floating around (I remember seeing one about "showrooming") about how shops struggle to evolve as cycling gets more popular and online business will remain a firm competitor.

avalonracing
09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
In reality, I think some bike shops see themselves as 5 star restaurants,
when they are more like a circle k, self serve convience store.

-g

Well put.

gavingould
09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
i think the argument somewhat is that a lot of people buy parts online to save a few bucks (even though the shop has in stock or can easily order the parts) and then gripe about what the LBS charges to install them, or expect free install and for the mechanic to teach them how to do it for free.

so you bought a bike for $75 from Target or Walmart, and it's not working very well? or a complete bike from somewhere online? the flunkie who assembled it knows nothing about bikes. that's why your fork is backwards, the brake pads don't contact the rim, the gears don't shift, all bearing surfaces are dry, and the crankarm fell off the first time you tried riding it.

there's a difference between...
a good customer (one who listens to your advice about what might be good for them with product & maintenance, purchases items and services, maybe brings friends who do the same)
and a bad customer (one who 'showrooms' you and buys online after getting your expertise and advice, always asks for a discount, stops by every other day to have you look at something on their bike because it'll just take a minute, treats the shop's floor pump as their own, brings in their friends who do the same, etc)

if you take care of a good customer, they'll take care of you.
i don't think the problem is that people buy online... it's that they don't understand that labor is where the shop makes money to stay open.

vqdriver
09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
it's just a tongue in cheek analogy to some bike shop behavior. i wouldn't take it too seriously.

Aaron O
09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Even if they do, so what? Building bicycles is a fine service that smart bike shops charge appropriately for.

Just last Tuesday, I brought my MTB in to my LBS:

"Please change all the cables and housing and give it a tune-up and while you're at it, please install this bar I bought on the Paceline forum, and this stem which I bought used from your mechanic, and these grips which I bought new from ESI online, and install this bashguard which is from my parts bin but obviously was bought from BBG some time long ago. Also, do you have any of those K-Edge Garmin holders. Ok, I'll get one of those too."

"Ok, it'll be $70 for the tune-up, plus the cables and $40 for the K-Edge. Come back at 4pm and it'll be ready."

I think it was $~160 all in. Maybe they charged me a couple bucks to swap the bars/stem. But in any case, I don't think they'd improve their business model by refusing to install my grips...

+1 - if they have to raise prices to compensate for the parts model shift...that's understandable, but the parts shift is happening, and if they're already charging more to compensate, I'm not going to double ding myself on the labor AND parts.

Louis
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
If bike shops think that a few snarky comments like that will prevent their parts business model from collapsing in the face of competition from web-based stores they might as well take their work stands to the shore, install them on the beach, and command the tide to stop coming in.

http://www.phlmetropolis.com/Canute.jpg

jmpsmash
09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
A restaurant will kindly refuse outside ingredients as well as a tour of the kitchen and cooking advise solicitation.

So can the LBS.

ColonelJLloyd
09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
A restaurant will kindly refuse outside ingredients as well as a tour of the kitchen and cooking advise solicitation.

So can the LBS.

True, but I think the point is that no one asks for such in a restaurant, whereas it is commonplace for LBS walk-ins.

gavingould
09-24-2013, 03:35 PM
outside parts is a relatively new paradigm and the shops will have to adjust, end of story.... likewise LBS customers need to be aware that if they aren't buying parts there, something's gotta keep the lights on!
so you either charge for advice, labor, or if you're smart and your customers are too, both.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I read into his post as people who shop online then bring in the parts to be installed in the LBS - even if the parts are available in the store itself.

Happens all the time...best margin is service...the 'smart' bike shop doesn't get sweated up about these things. Better if they buy the stuff from you but...

AND if it is the wrong size or breaks..oh well....

'One' bike shop flat refuses to install stuff not bought at the bike shop, and sometimes not work on the bike not bought there. Dumb, IMHO, since there are scads of LBS' in the republic, go elsewhere, where sometimes the work will be OK and sometimes it will be horrible.

nighthawk
09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
A bike shop I used to go to in Gainseville had a price list posted on the wall that had one cost for them to do something, a higher price if the customer wanted to watch, and an even higher price if the customer wanted to learn. I always assumed it was a joke, but in hindsight, it seems like a fair deal. This was back before the Internet ruined America, so I'm not sure the shop was dealing with too many customer supplied parts. Also, I definitely traded vegetables from the farm I was working on for bike parts. Things just ain't like they used to be.

chiteach78
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm relatively certain that my local (and seemingly thriving) shop does the majority of its business on service and internet purchased buildups....they were happy to build up my Legend Ti with loving care, complimented my part choices, and told me to bring it back in a few miles for a retune on the cable stretch. Next day happily trimmed the carbon seatpost for me as I didn't have the tool...they've built up two bikes for me and I happily paid two bills both times. They stand behind their work and largely did it right. If I was interested in the inventory they carried I'd happily buy from them, even at a bit of a premium. If anyone asked I'd recommend them heartily.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them sell a bike, but their shop is always hopping and they sponsor a couple rides a week. Welcome to the new economy. Those who think that the young(ish) web shopper has no loyalty are dead wrong...But often local business treats me like it's my job to make them happy. Those who offer true competent personable service and are willing to meet me where I am, ALWAYS get my return business...and I value their time as much as I value mine. If I wanted them to teach me how to do what they do in addition to doing it I'd expect a lot more billable hours.

In the end, like every business, it's evolve or die, but if you aren't offering what the market wants, don't be surprised when the doors close for the last time.

jmpsmash
09-24-2013, 09:25 PM
True, but I think the point is that no one asks for such in a restaurant, whereas it is commonplace for LBS walk-ins.

And i think the reason is that LBS is not a restaurant. If they want to be a restaurant, then refuse service like a restaurant do.

Gummee
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Despite making $ fixing flats, I'd much rather teach someone how to do it.

I can't tell you how many times I get asked to do something *right now* despite being backed up till next week. No. I can't do a complete tuneup on your bike this afternoon. I've got 8 other repairs to do. The customers that dropped off their bikes a week + ago are expecting them today.

M

bikemoore
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I've got to give a shout out to Steve's Bike Shop in Panama City FL for doing something that surprised the hell out of me: I wanted a carbon fork and new headset to replace an old aluminum fork on an early 90's steel frame, but didn't want to spend of lot of money....nothing over the top, just a good value fork. I assumed he would not like installing a Nashbar fork, so I let him look through what forks he was able to get and all of his available forks were at least double the price of the Nashbar fork. When I told him what fork was available on Nashbar, he closed his catalog and said "if you want, you can order that Nashbar fork, have it delivered here, and I'll install it with a new headset". I didn't expect that at all. I was so pleased that he knew there was no way he could compete with the Nashbar fork and he didn't seem to mind at all. He could make a little money on the installation and a new headset and have me walk out a very satisfied customer. Every other LBS I've dealt with gets pissy about doing something like that.

CaptStash
09-24-2013, 11:17 PM
True story: Found something in my basement that I'd squireled away for years, so I decided to bring it to my favorite LBS mechanic. I pulled in and told him I ordered this bearing online but it didn't seem to fit, could he have a look at it? I could see he was a little (just a tiny bit) annoyed, which was what I was going for. I then proceeded to pull the part out. It was a thrust bearing from a 30,000 gpm cargo pump. About twelve inches in diameter and some 20+ lbs. The look on his face when that baby hit his bench was priceless!

Sometimes you just gotta' laugh.

CaptStash....

jds108
09-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Today I went to pick up a warranty fork replacement at a LBS that I don't ever go to. It's a Cervelo fork so I had to go to a Cervelo dealer.

They did take my original fork and get Cervelo to send them a replacement, but you would have thought they were dealing with an IRS auditor or a root canal. I was treated with nothing but disinterest. I didn't buy the original fork there because I lived in a different part of the country when I bought it.

Oh well, just a reminder why I do my own wrenching. I should have just shipped the fork straight back to Cervelo. It would have been more convenient to go to the post office than drive to the Cervelo dealer. The post office may just offer a more pleasant experience as well.

Hawker
09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
True story: Found something in my basement that I'd squireled away for years, so I decided to bring it to my favorite LBS mechanic. I pulled in and told him I ordered this bearing online but it didn't seem to fit, could he have a look at it? I could see he was a little (just a tiny bit) annoyed, which was what I was going for. I then proceeded to pull the part out. It was a thrust bearing from a 30,000 gpm cargo pump. About twelve inches in diameter and some 20+ lbs. The look on his face when that baby hit his bench was priceless!

Sometimes you just gotta' laugh.

CaptStash....

:) Good one.

CNY rider
09-25-2013, 09:46 AM
My auto mechanic seems to have a healthy approach to a similar situation.
He supplies all the common parts used in repairs and bills for them, along with labor.
I wouldn't think of walking in there with new brake pads I bought online and asking him to use them for a brake job.

BUT

I have had him put suspension elements on our van, and hitch racks on both cars. I bought them online and had them delivered to his shop, with his prior approval of course. He was happy to install those at his going rate for labor, and I was happy to pay him.

makmadoosel
09-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I got a kick out of that blog post!

I've attended several workshops on preventing your service department from losing money. The mere existence of which suggests to me that relatively few shops are paying the bills with service revenue. When I started working in a shop 18 years ago, we charged $25.00 for a basic tune-up. The same shop now charges $65.00. IMHO, some shops have raised service fees (wittingly or unwittingly) to cope with lost revenue from internet competition.

jh_on_the_cape
09-25-2013, 10:22 AM
My auto mechanic allows me to bring in parts bought online. It started with my buying parts to do a brake job DIY but just never had time so he did it. He is fine with it but I understand that if the parts are not correct he will use his own and charge me. In the end I am not sure if it saves money, but it does make sure a certain quality of part is used.

Some bike shops do this, too.

In the end, some bike shops have the attitude of a snooty french restaurant. If the service is at that level, they can get away with it but still would do better being nice.

I have been amazed what a six pack of cold beer will do in terms of getting something done right away, such as swapping a headset race.

Some LBS folks are just whiny when compared with other retail. But most are pretty cool.

My auto mechanic seems to have a healthy approach to a similar situation.
He supplies all the common parts used in repairs and bills for them, along with labor.
I wouldn't think of walking in there with new brake pads I bought online and asking him to use them for a brake job.

BUT

I have had him put suspension elements on our van, and hitch racks on both cars. I bought them online and had them delivered to his shop, with his prior approval of course. He was happy to install those at his going rate for labor, and I was happy to pay him.