PDA

View Full Version : New Supergroup (OT, Tom Waits content)

oliver1850
09-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Wow, just got an email from my "buddy" Tom Waits that he's playing the Bridge School benefit October 26 & 27, backed up by David Hidalgo and Les Claypool, "and more". Waits hasn't toured in 5 years, so get on it South Bay people.

Louis
09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I thought this was going to be about a new DA-Record combo...

pbarry
09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Yowza. Be there Bay Area peeps.

mnoble485
09-24-2013, 07:15 AM
I love me some Tom Waits big time! My wife ,however, is not a lover of the gravel voice. Kind of like Scotch.

Mike

David Kirk
09-24-2013, 08:21 AM
I wish I could be there.

Dave

oldpotatoe
09-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Wow, just got an email from my "buddy" Tom Waits that he's playing the Bridge School benefit October 26 & 27, backed up by David Hidalgo and Les Claypool, "and more". Waits hasn't toured in 5 years, so get on it South Bay people.

I thought it was the new 14 speed, wireless, electronic Campag drivetrain with Italian made Formula hydraulic disc brakes on a new 600 gram wunderbike...

bicimechanic
09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Mule Variations is on in the shop right now. Seems right on a chill morning with the windows open.

tmf
09-24-2013, 09:43 AM
I wish I was close enough to go to this. Tom Waits with Les on bass will be great.

If you like Tom Waits, I recommend watching the movie "Down By Law" if you haven't seen it yet.

djg21
09-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Tom Waits is my hero! I wish he'd come back and play on the east coast. I met him once when I was in high school. I was visiting an uncle who worked at the Bottom Line in NYC, and the two of us were walking through Washington Square Park. This guy I didn't recognize yelled my uncle's name in his trademark gruff voice. At the time, I had no clue who Tom Waits was. When my uncle and I got back to his apartment, he played Heartattack & Vine. This was over 30 years ago. I've been hooked ever since.

David Hildago also is a phenom. Los Lobos is really fun to see, and they are touring the east coast this winter.

Shoeman
09-24-2013, 12:09 PM
i thought it was the new 14 speed, wireless, electronic campag drivetrain with italian made formula hydraulic disc brakes on a new 600 gram wunderbike...

lol!!!!!!!

oliver1850
09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Tom Waits is my hero! I wish he'd come back and play on the east coast. I met him once when I was in high school. I was visiting an uncle who worked at the Bottom Line in NYC, and the two of us were walking through Washington Square Park. This guy I didn't recognize yelled my uncle's name in his trademark gruff voice. At the time, I had no clue who Tom Waits was. When my uncle and I got back to his apartment, he played Heartattack & Vine. This was over 30 years ago. I've been hooked ever since.

David Hildago also is a phenom. Los Lobos is really fun to see, and they are touring the east coast this winter.

I remember the first time I really listened to him. It was at a CanAm race, Elkhart Lake I think. I was hanging around with some guys on a team from Michigan that were playing "Nighthawks at the Diner", probably on 8 track tape. Some funny stuff on there. Quite a few style changes since those days. "Bone Machine" is probably my favorite, but they all get regular listening at my place.

I've been a Los Lobos fan since the first album on Slash, but I may have missed a couple of the later ones. Must do a little catching up.

bcroslin
09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
two straight hours of Tommy the Cat?

OldCrank
09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Send him east!

Pasties and a g-string
Beer and a shot
Portland through a shot glass
And a Buffalo squeeze

Ray
09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Only saw him once, in 1977 opening for Randy Newman. He was incredible, totally stole the show from Newman (who was also damn fine - this was before all of the "Short People" fame), and I like the stuff he started doing about the time of "Rain Dogs" way more than the already excellent material that came before that. I'd love to see him again, so for sure, if you get the chance.

BTW, he's also a non-starter for my wife, so it would not be a family affair if he came around here...

-Ray

maunahaole
09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Bridge School benefit is a big deal with major gravitas to pull top acts. Go if you can.

zmudshark
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Better than a new Campy group. Hope it's available somewhere.

PaulE
09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
My wife and I flew from Newark to Atlanta to see TW on July 5, 2008. She is not a fan but was a trooper. I got that email too, but it is a bridge school too far this time. PS you can download a podcast of the Atlanta concert from NPR if you're so inclined.