PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Wheels (hollentour)

shinomaster
01-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Effin rawks! Spiderlake was correct. This film, a German documentary, is the best Cycling movie or video I have ever seen. it makes most WCP productions videos look like college film student work (crap). It was also nice not to have to listen to Phil and Paul.
The cinematography, sound , color and clarity of the movie is perfect. No blurry or fuzzy images. It is beautiful, and a shame it is not in theatres. It inspired me to sell my soul to cycling all over again. One thing absent from the film was any emphasis on bikes...making it obvious that this is secondary to the the athletes who push themselves through ridiculous conditions. It really made me a born again cycling fan. I have never wanted Erik Zabel to win a stage as badly! Lance looked awsome.
Looking at these svelt racers also made me feel like a blimp, even though I weigh 144lbs. I need to go ride tomorrow. :banana:

Serpico
01-06-2006, 02:06 AM
nice review, I'm buying it--need something to inspire me during the winter :o

William
01-06-2006, 04:57 AM
I've been keeping my eye open locally but haven't seen any copies pop up yet.

Hell on wheels (http://www.hellonwheelsthemovie.com/)
In the mean time, check out the photo page. ;)

William

shaq-d
01-17-2006, 07:38 AM
just bringing this up 'cuz i've recently bought and watched 2 recent movies.. the Quest (giro) and Overcoming (csc tdf).

i think the quest is just average for a movie; phil liggett's narration makes it more of a race movie than an interesting documentary. for a race movie i'd rather pay the money for the giro itself than for simoni-oriented the Quest, which was a very short movie to boot. i've since sold it on ebay...

overcoming, however, is an excellent movie, just great. you get to see what riis and the boys are really like. sastre and basso... very cool. basso is just what you'd expect basso to be. sastre is an interesting character; julich seems like a hincapie-like boringness. anyway it's great. u really get to know the peeps. also get answered the question, for certain, on whether team csc and discovery were working together on one of the stages, which at the time everyone was speculating about. get overcoming! :banana:

sd

manet
01-17-2006, 08:02 AM
net flic fliks flicks so i'm told

iml
01-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Here's a plug for "Off Road to Athens." I think this is more of a roadie board - not that there's anything wrong with that - but check it out. A fine piece of cinema and an insightful look at the American MTB racers during the run-up to the 2004 Olympics. The extra footage regarding the Filip Meirhaege scandal is priceless.

coylifut
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM
and had it in hand in a couple of days. I was surprised to see that these giants of cycling have the same insecurities about their abilities that us local yokels have.