PDA

View Full Version : Six Years of Serotta Perfection

jlwdm
09-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I purchased my first custom bike, a Serotta Nove, six years ago this month. I was fortunate to be in Scottsdale so I was fit by Paraic, the year before he went to Serotta. He is now back in Scottsdale running his company Cyclologic. Paraic is the ultimate fit professional and is constantly upping his knowledge of fit. Saddle fit has become a really big component - not just for comfort but for power. He has just been presenting at Eurobike and Interbike.

Paraic worked with Kelly Bedford at Serotta to create the perfect bike for me. I have a short torso and longer legs and had never had a great fit on a stock bike. Because of this I would ride for a year or two and then quit for a few years - off and on.

Having a bike that fit changed me as a cyclist. I ride more, I have more fun and I have ridden pretty consistently for the last 6 years.

When I ordered the Serotta I had not spent any time on bike forums. I think this was good in many ways. I let the professionals do their jobs and although I spent a lot of money it has been more than worth it. Even after spending a lot of time on this forum and other bike forums, I have never had a thought of getting ride of the Serotta - or lusting for a "better" bike. I enjoy it every time I ride it.

On the other hand because of the influence of this and other bike forums I have two other road bikes. I purchased Kelly Bedford's personal CSI, the last one made, to keep in AZ while we were selling our house there. Since I did not get to AZ much it has hardly any miles. Now that the CSI is in Texas I will try to put some miles on this bike. It has a silver 11spd Athena/Centaur group with some new HED Ardennes FR, but I have some H Plus Son Archetype polished silver rims to build up to go with the all silver group.

Then I won a raffle on this forum for a custom Spectrum Ti. I had it designed for fenders and have it in Seattle, but I have not been to Seattle much and the bike has 50 miles on it in four years. I was there this weekend and got in no miles for the second time this year.

The last two years and nine months I have had little balance in my life as you can see from the lack of miles on the CSI and the Spectrum. After working for years with partners I started working by myself the first of 2011, although I have added a part-time person this year. The personal responsibility has forced me to work more, but it has also been a time to make a tremendous amount of money. When business is good it is a time to work hard.

It is easy not to ride when business is going well, but I always feel better when I ride. I usually ride less in the summer because of the heat, but last summer I rode 64 straight days averaging 35 miles a day. This summer not so good. I have been getting in a few rides lately, but I have a bad habit of working as soon as I get out of bed in the morning. I got in a short ride this morning and will probably get in another one tonight. My riding requires a lot of night and early morning riding.

So this is hopefully the start of more balance in my life, back on the bike that makes me never think about a new bike. I also find that I solve a lot of work and life issues out on the bike.

So here is to riding lots and having a bike that fits.

Below is a current photo of my Nove. It started life with Record 10 and Ksyrium ES wheels, but now has SR/Record 11 and Zipp 202s. The upgrades were a function of the bike forums also.

Jeff

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m617/6ridge9/Nove/Nove.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/6ridge9/media/Nove/Nove.jpg.html)

VirtualElvis
09-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Nice story and bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

572cv
09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Good on you for the report and the reflections. I love riding my Serotta(s), which I had fitted too, even though they weren't made for me personally. It is somehow serendipitous, but the confidence of riding my bikes, and the fun, and the joy, just doesn't go away. I have a basic Ti Fierte which I had modified with couplers for traveling. It isn't Serotta's high end, but I marvel at how good it really is, on every trip....this year in the French Alps. I enjoyed your musings.

oliver1850
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Damn! Can't find anything to argue about, except your bike might be too tall for me. I often think it would be interesting to have a professional fitting, but it might negate the whole collection and send me into a tailspin.

Thanks for the positive report.