PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Creeper Trail???

josephr
09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Headed up to NC for a weekend and the wife wants to make a day trip out of the Virginia Creeper trail.

She's not a hardcore cyclst and will be doing the trip on her hybrid bike and certainly we'll be stopping a lot for pictures. Additionally, its probably advisable that this trip be more downhill than uphill. That being said...we'll probably just hang in there for the 34 trip from Damascus to Whitetop.

Sooooo....my questions-
1) Damascus to Whitetop ---- or Whitetop to Damascus?
2) What are the stops above Damascus which might be good if I can convince her to make a longer day of it?
3) The VA Creeper website lists some shuttle services...anyones to reccomend/avoid or just go with one?
4) Food/Beer reccomendations in Banner Elk area????

thanks!!!
Joe

false_Aest
09-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Uhm

Lemme get this straight: You wanna take your wife on a creeper trail?

Sounds dubious to me.

:P

josephr
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Uhm

Lemme get this straight: You wanna take your wife on a creeper trail?

Sounds dubious to me.

:P

LOL ---- yes...and now its going to be an even creepier trail with me on it. If you see a lightly used Marin Redwood posted in the classifieds that looks particularly clean..... ;)

Joe

rnhood
09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Any of the shuttles are good. The best trip is from White Top to Abbington, then you can have lunch in Abbington, tour around town if you want, then take the shuttle back. Very little climbing on this route. Its all downhill to Damascus then fairly flat to Abb. About 35 miles total.

HenryA
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you have the right attitude already in place.

I'd leave from Damascus going up to Green Cove, then back. Its only half the trail but its downhill all the way back and a good place to bail if she's had enough. And you're back for a nice lunch and/or ride some more in the other direction. Its a nice trail and I bet you'll both have a good time.