PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale Cross Clinchers?

Clydesdale
09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Anyone have recommendations for a clincher set up for a 225 guy who rides up to moderate single track with rocks and roots and would like to avoid a lot a lot of pinch flats? Thanks.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Anyone have recommendations for a clincher set up for a 225 guy who rides up to moderate single track with rocks and roots and would like to avoid a lot a lot of pinch flats? Thanks.

Bigger tires and more air pressure.

pakora
09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm a clyde and I have come to believe in latex tubes. Riding the trails around here with regular tubes I'd always flat, sometimes multiple times. Only have one ride in the same place with latex so far, but I was bottoming out all the time and didn't flat at between 35 and 40psi.

No tire advice though. I used several cheaper "all conditions" tires last year and they all sucked for singletrack and racing. I'm running Vittoria XGs now which feel really supple and hook up nicely in the dry.

Clydesdale
09-23-2013, 11:46 AM
I've been on tubulars the last couple years with pretty good results but I like the simplicity of clinchers, and since I don't race, I just need something that will hold up and handle decently on a variety of terrain.

JStonebarger
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
+1 for latex. Better ride, lower rolling resistance, and not nearly as likely to pinch flat.

teleguy57
09-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I think Pakora is talking tubes for clinchers, not tubulars. My experience is similar; big fan of latex tubes in clinchers for better feel and much lower puncture/flat experience (given you install them carefully and don't pinch them under the tire bead.)

You have to pump them up before each ride, but that's part of my pre-ride routine for any tire.

josephr
09-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Maybe I'm missing something....but the only pinch flats I've had came from where I screwed up installing the tube. If you're getting pinched, I'm with Mr. Potatoe thinking more air and a wider tire for more traction on the roots.
Joe

tmf
09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Do you have a max width tire your frame will take? If you can go this big, take a look at the Bruce Gordon Rock N Road (43mm). I'm planning to put a pair of these on my cross bike after the races are done to ride trails and gravel in comfort this winter. They look like they would ride over just about anything.

BG Rock N Road review (http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2013/07/product-review-bruce-gordon-rock-n-road-tires/)

rice rocket
09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something....but the only pinch flats I've had came from where I screwed up installing the tube. If you're getting pinched, I'm with Mr. Potatoe thinking more air and a wider tire for more traction on the roots.
Joe

You're probably not riding a cross bike on rocky/rooty singletrack either.

Clydesdale
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Joe

No pinch flats, I have been on tubulars. But I like the handling and comfort of lower pressure and I have hit stuff I thought would probably be hard on a low pressure tube. Oldpotatoe knows more about cycling than I ever will and I agree on both counts, but since comfort, handling, and durability are a series of trade offs, I was just looking for some advice from bigger guys who are happy with their clincher set up. Thanks.

josephr
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
You're probably not riding a cross bike on rocky/rooty singletrack either.

Thats a whole other conversation altogether, isn't it?

Clydesdale
09-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Do you have a max width tire your frame will take? If you can go this big, take a look at the Bruce Gordon Rock N Road (43mm). I'm planning to put a pair of these on my cross bike after the races are done to ride trails and gravel in comfort this winter. They look like they would ride over just about anything.

BG Rock N Road review (http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2013/07/product-review-bruce-gordon-rock-n-road-tires/)

I put 40mm studded nokians on it in the winter and those are huge so I think the Gordons should fit. Thanks for the suggestion.