PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Dura Ace 7850SL questions

dekindy
09-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Determined that my 7850SL road tubeless front wheel has fallen prey to the sealant caused corrosion issue. No longer is airtight, air is leaking out of rim interior surface, but is still structurally sound so could run a tube. LBS is ordering an aluminum repair product from McMaster Carr that is supposed to be appropriate for the application to restore airtight feature so I could continue to run tubeless. That would be up to 600 psi pressure, flexible and vibration proof, etc.

Even if this works, LBS informs me that wear indicators indicate it is near the end of it's useful life. Rear rim is supposed to wear faster than front? Taking rear in to have it evaluated.

Has anyone had any experience obtaining replacement rims and rebuilding this wheelset? Anyone rebuilt with an Ultegra rim? Any builder that you can recommend? Cost?

Are the 7850SL hubs compatible with any rim as long as 16/20 combination spoke combination?

Any rim recommendation for a 200lb rider? Would rather rebuild as is but if the cost is prohibitive through Shimano will seek alternative. Prefer tubeless.

LegendRider
09-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I had the corrosion problem with a pair of C24TL wheels, but my 7850SL wheels are fine. I figured the anodization on the SLs protected the rim from the ammonia in the Stan's sealant. I'm disappointed you've had a problem.

Keep us posted if you find a way to rebuild the wheels. I spoke with Shimano Tech Support at the US Nat'l Champs in Chattanooga this spring and they said the wheels cannot be rebuilt (I was asking because I'm getting close to wearing out the rims).

PLEASE ENTER COMMENTS ABOUT THE SUPERIORITY OF HANDBUILTS HERE:

kramnnim
09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
How long does it take to wear them out?

blantonator
09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Determined that my 7850SL road tubeless front wheel has fallen prey to the sealant caused corrosion issue. No longer is airtight, air is leaking out of rim interior surface, but is still structurally sound so could run a tube. LBS is ordering an aluminum repair product from McMaster Carr that is supposed to be appropriate for the application to restore airtight feature so I could continue to run tubeless. That would be up to 600 psi pressure, flexible and vibration proof, etc.

Even if this works, LBS informs me that wear indicators indicate it is near the end of it's useful life. Rear rim is supposed to wear faster than front? Taking rear in to have it evaluated.

Has anyone had any experience obtaining replacement rims and rebuilding this wheelset? Anyone rebuilt with an Ultegra rim? Any builder that you can recommend? Cost?

Are the 7850SL hubs compatible with any rim as long as 16/20 combination spoke combination?

Any rim recommendation for a 200lb rider? Would rather rebuild as is but if the cost is prohibitive through Shimano will seek alternative. Prefer tubeless.

Mine corroded as well :( I'm just running tubes right now, but I think a layer of Stan's tape would pretty much solve the issue and would pass on the aluminum repair. As far as I know, the dura-ace rims(7850) are totally unattainable and the ultegra rims wont work.

LegendRider
09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
How long does it take to wear them out?

I have a reasonable amount of life left according to the wear indicators, but the brake track is slightly convex. I've been riding them as my primary wheels since the first came out - don't recall the year, but I bought the first pair my LBS sold - definitely in excess of 10k miles.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Have LBS ask shimano about an Ultegra rim but I doubt it. Replacing the rim is pretty straight forward...tape the 2 together, type thing. Should be the same $ as building a wheel, ain't that hard.

BUT like most wheelsouttaboxes, probably gotta get an exact rim...rims and spokes and hubs are matched and frequently don't convey thru product levels.

dekindy
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a reasonable amount of life left according to the wear indicators, but the brake track is slightly convex. I've been riding them as my primary wheels since the first came out - don't recall the year, but I bought the first pair my LBS shop - definitely in excess of 10k miles.

This about describes mine. LBS has examined the front only; says rear wears faster so I will have it evaluated also.

LBS says that the front may have another season left.

Mine have been in service since March 2009 and I estimate 16,000 miles so maybe 16-20,000 miles in the conditions that I ride. 200 pound rider in mostly flat central Indiana train with an occasional ride in the southern Indiana hills where 15%+ grades are common. I am not a daredevil so tend to feather rear brake on any downhill that is not completely smooth and in any other way unsafe while most riding companions pass me by so others in my area may get more miles.

Fortunately I have a set of Velocity Deep V's built on White Industries H2 hubs that will serve me well.

Found replacement rims at Petra Cycles in UK but with shipping it is around $455 shipped for a set. If Shimano will not sell replacement rims in USA I might be done with Shimano period.

rnhood
09-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I've got two sets of the 7850 C24 wheels (non tubeless) and, the dimples wore flat at about 15,000 miles on my first pair. I now have about 18,000 on these and still ride them. The second pair has about 9,000 miles to date. Worn flat dimples is not an indicator of imminent failure, just that closer attention needs to be paid to the rim.

Having said this, I will likely be getting a pair of the new 9000 series soon and will retire the first set of wheels. Probably go with the C35's this time.

My advice is to run 25 tires on your existing wheels with latex tubes. Ride and performance is pretty much the same as tubeless.

Keith A
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I run Shimano gear and have really like my 7850-SL wheels, but it's pretty disappointing to hear that you can't buy replacement rims. So I guess the point of having the rim wear marks is so you can know when to throw them in the trash :mad:

eippo1
09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I run Shimano gear and have really like my 7850-SL wheels, but it's pretty disappointing to hear that you can buy replacement rims. So I guess the point of having the rim wear marks is so you can know when to throw them in the trash :mad:

I went through this with my LBS where I work part time and found that Shimano simply does not make the rim apart from the full wheel. They just don't have them available. So yeah, once done get a new pair. It is too bad because the hubs are magnificent.
I just opted to get an Ultegra front wheel to go along with the Dura Ace rear and threw them on my cross bike.

Keith A
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
So are there any other options for replacement rims? It would be a shame to have such nice set of hubs and just let them sit on a shelve.

dekindy
09-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Google search found these.

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-spares-wh-7850-sl-clincher-dura-ace-rim-16h-p-18539.html?currency=USD&osCsid=b78454b1a97a84c19d00c293b2ac7b7c

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-spares-wh-7850-sl-rear-clincher-rim-20h-p-18490.html

$85 shipping. VAT appears in cart but is removed during checkout. Legit?

nicrump
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
i'm well over 30k mi on my 7850 SLs...

what dimples? is this some documented wear indicator?

SpeedyChix
09-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Google search found these.

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-spares-wh-7850-sl-clincher-dura-ace-rim-16h-p-18539.html?currency=USD&osCsid=b78454b1a97a84c19d00c293b2ac7b7c

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-spares-wh-7850-sl-rear-clincher-rim-20h-p-18490.html

$85 shipping. VAT appears in cart but is removed during checkout. Legit?

I've ordered Shimano spokes from Petra. Picked up a used C35 tubular wheelset that had a couple of pretty rough spokes in them. Took awhile to arrive but they were in the Shimano hangtag/bag. Imagine that the rims would be legit as well.

dekindy
09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
i'm well over 30k mi on my 7850 SLs...

what dimples? is this some documented wear indicator?

Holes that are opposite the stem and on both sides of rim. Hole disappears then worn out theoretically. Braking surface also becomes concave with wear. LBS could feel it or you can hold a straight edge across the braking surface.

nicrump
09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
just checked, still have dimples. but I also use sram branded swiss blocks and keep them fresh and clean.

just read a notice on the shimano site, they say their dura ace blocks will wear the rims faster.

nicrump
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Holes that are opposite the stem and on both sides of rim. Hole disappears then worn out theoretically. Braking surface also becomes concave with wear. LBS could feel it or you can hold a straight edge across the braking surface.

i am the LBS... ;-)

dekindy
09-23-2013, 01:03 PM
i am the LBS... ;-)

I meant my LBS could feel it but I could not. Did not have a straight edge handy so that I could visually see how bad.

nicrump
09-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I meant my LBS could feel it but I could not. Did not have a straight edge handy so that I could visually see how bad.

sorry i misread as advice.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2013, 08:43 AM
I went through this with my LBS where I work part time and found that Shimano simply does not make the rim apart from the full wheel. They just don't have them available. So yeah, once done get a new pair. It is too bad because the hubs are magnificent.
I just opted to get an Ultegra front wheel to go along with the Dura Ace rear and threw them on my cross bike.

Or go find a wheelbuilder who can design a wheelset, even around shimano hubs, where you won't have to make the obsolete hubs into pen holders in 15,000-20,000 miles..or 4-5 years.