PDA

View Full Version : Air France travel bike mini speed bump

eddief
09-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Just got back from 3 weeks in Spain. Oh my. Bought my Air France ticket many months before the trip. Ticket price when purchased included $80 for the extra bag which was the bike. Got to the airport in that frantic travel mode and then they charged me another $100 at the gate...as I completely forgot I had already paid once before. I think my Visa card company is taking care of the extra charge. Have not opened the case yet to see the results.

Otherwise, Air France was like a real airline. Uncomfortable seats, damn good food, and lots o liquor.

A great trip in Northern Spain. The rural was fine and Bilbao is a city for dreamers. Gorgeous. As Columbus would say, the world is not flat...and neither is Spain.

AngryScientist
09-23-2013, 08:01 AM
As Columbus would say, the world is not flat...and neither is Spain.

ha! excellent quote!

sounds like a great trip, any pictures to share eddie? cheers!

Benny Profane
09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm flying to Italy in November, and i'm avoiding Air france because they are laying off a bunch of people right now. Don't want to get caught over there in the middle of a slowdown or strike.

MadRocketSci
09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
hmm, i blew through Bilbao my first and only time there...got off the train, went to the art museum, got back on train to San Sebastian...is it worth another look next time in the area??? I need to make a tapas run....

eddief
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
My travel partner was there 11 years ago and thought it was a pit. As I understand it, it was a pit. And then the Guggenheim affect took hold. The river is clean, the city is spotless, the old city is a fun place to walk around.

So much space devoted to walking and plazas and vistas.

On a Saturday night in good weather, I have not seen no more a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy the energy.

Depends on what you are looking for.

hmm, i blew through Bilbao my first and only time there...got off the train, went to the art museum, got back on train to San Sebastian...is it worth another look next time in the area??? I need to make a tapas run....

Shortsocks
09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
ha! excellent quote!

sounds like a great trip, any pictures to share eddie? cheers!

Pics or it didn't happen!!!
Oh, and if you have pics of Spanish podium girls that would be much appreciated. :)

MadRocketSci
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
My travel partner was there 11 years ago and thought it was a pit. As I understand it, it was a pit. And then the Guggenheim affect took hold. The river is clean, the city is spotless, the old city is a fun place to walk around.

So much space devoted to walking and plazas and vistas.

On a Saturday night in good weather, I have no seen no more a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy the energy.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Exactly what i'd be looking for. Gasp, I was there in 1998...and thought it was just a big industrial zone with crazy modern art museum. Amazing to hear about its transformation! Now i really want to go for some Basque pintxos...

rrudoff
09-23-2013, 05:41 PM
My experience with Air France, having flown them to and from Italy numerous times in the past two years is that you should always have proof of paying the "discounted" luggage fee with you when checking in. Every time I have checked in they do not see this in their system, I show them my printed (or once smart phone) receipt, and then they say ok. That being said, I have had no problems with service in general and the food is good for an airline, though they have left bags behind during transfer more than once. If you have a full size bike bag, we travel with a Pika, you will need to pay the extra at the airport, there is no way to pay ahead of time.