PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Tire Questions

Not the Slowest
09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
I just got some new Tubular wheels and had new tires glued on. Tall seems fine, but the tires
are now very deflated about 5 days after I pumped the up. is this normal? a problem?

Thanks Rob

BCS
09-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I just got some new Tubular wheels and had new tires glued on. Tall seems fine, but the tires
are now very deflated about 5 days after I pumped the up. is this normal? a problem?

Thanks Rob

It is normal. If the tube is latex, might be flat sooner.

christian
09-22-2013, 08:20 PM
If they have latex tubes (Vittoria, FMB), yes, expected. About 40 psi per 24 hours is my experience.

carpediemracing
09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
If they have latex tubes (Vittoria, FMB), yes, expected. About 40 psi per 24 hours is my experience.

+1

I don't know the exact amount but it's enough that Vittoria makes a "tri" tire with butyl tubes - bikes are often in "parc ferme" overnight or at least for many hours and it would be no good to jump on a bike with 60 psi in the tires.

Not the Slowest
09-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Just wanted to make sure this was the way they worked.

Rob

pbarry
09-22-2013, 08:46 PM
When you ride tubulars, you are in a committed relationship. ;) One of the quirks is having to pump up your tires daily. But, there's the supple ride, fewer flats, lighter weight. Worth the extra effort. :beer:

Cat3roadracer
09-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Pump a cup of Stan's in there. You will be amazed.

Not the Slowest
09-22-2013, 09:07 PM
That's the word

pbarry
09-22-2013, 09:11 PM
How much does the fluid in a can-of-Stan's weigh? Can you repair a flat with the Stan's in the tube? Or do you need to drain it out so the patched area is dry?

cmg
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
you can put a can of flat fix after you get the first flat, otherwise don't bother.

fogrider
09-22-2013, 11:41 PM
When you ride tubulars, you are in a committed relationship. ;) One of the quirks is having to pump up your tires daily. But, there's the supple ride, fewer flats, lighter weight. Worth the extra effort. :beer:

this is not a function of tubulars, its a function of latex tubes. conti sprinters and competitions hold air really well. I know some think contis have a harsher ride, but those are running on high psi.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2013, 07:26 AM

a CUP!!

about 1/2 bottle..I think you mean the wee cup that comes with bulk stan's....about right..I use Orange seal now..better stuff, IMHO

oldpotatoe
09-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Have Vittoria Corsa Elite tubies..butyl tube, 25mm(and 23)..and less expensive, handmade still, nice tire.

carpediemracing
09-23-2013, 07:40 AM
having to pump up your tires daily

I do this with my clinchers also, where I use normal butyl tubes. Air pressure, or lack thereof, was the main cause for the punctures I saw in the 1.5 decades I worked in an LBS.

teleguy57
09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
I do this with my clinchers also, where I use normal butyl tubes. Air pressure, or lack thereof, was the main cause for the punctures I saw in the 1.5 decades I worked in an LBS.

Yup. Pumping up tires is part of the pre-ride ritual; did it even when I was riding clinchers and certainly with tubulars (on my bike 95+% of the time). Based on Old P's recommendations a while back I use half a small bottle of Stan's in each of the training tubulars now. Can't quite nudge myself to doing it with my best tires, but do carry a small Stan's as my first repair option. I needed to use it one, and that tire worked for quite a while after that -- until the tread started getting too thin.

I'll have to check out Peter's latest recommendation for the Orange sealant; first time I've heard of that brand.

christian
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Have Vittoria Corsa Elite tubies..butyl tube, 25mm(and 23)..and less expensive, handmade still, nice tire.

I am going to try these after I wear out my present Vitt Corsa CX 25s. That said, 25mm Corsa CX on my Colnago -- yum! Rides so nice.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I am going to try these after I wear out my present Vitt Corsa CX 25s. That said, 25mm Corsa CX on my Colnago -- yum! Rides so nice.

Yep, regardless of 'some' who talk about others and even considering I sell Vittoria..the CX is a really good tubie tire, on par with the Callenge, Clement, FMB, Veloflex, Dugast, and less $...etc, IMHO.

Elite 290 TPI vs 320, butyl tube..nice ride.

christian
09-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Elite 290 TPI vs 320, butyl tube..nice ride.Conti Competition 25mm is my favorite tire, though it only rides 95% as nice as a CX. I figure the Vittoria Elite is effectively the Vittoria version of the Competition...

makmadoosel
09-23-2013, 10:20 AM
one of my responsibilities as a shop apprentice when I was 12 was to make sure the owner's tubulars were always aired up. He rode every night after we closed and I pumped up the tires every day.