PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds dv46t

cmbicycles
09-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Any thoughts on the above wheels. I am considering a used pair of tubulars but was curious on input from those that have ridden them. I haven't had carbon wheels yet, but am curious to try.
They have the dt240 compatible hubs I believe, so I can hopefully swap out for my 240 free hub body to run campy.
Thanks

mike p
09-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I've had the dv46 tubular's and the assault clinchers. They were both good wheels and I had no problem with either. Sort of of an all-round carbon wheel. I prefer the DA C-50 tubulars I'm on now though. They just feel stiffer out of the saddle.

Mike

Derailer
09-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I have a pair of these exact wheels running campy with a dt front hub and a powertap SL rear (for sale I might add). I liked 'em, except when they got wet or conditions were very windy. Changing tubes and tires was always pretty easy (Conti GP 4000s and Vittoria Paves), though I should note the wheels have always had velo plugs and I never tried rim tape. Though I've never needed to true the wheels, if I did, I'd probably find myself annoyed by the internal nipples.

lhuerta
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
DV46T is old carbon technology and their have been vast improvements in carbon hoops (both clincher and tubular) since these were last sold (2010). In 2011, Reynolds and several other wheel manufacturers (Enve, Easton and I think Zipp too) changed up their clincher design (and in most cases tubular design too ) with a specific focus on braking surface, resulting in an increase in rim weights across all manufacturers. In addition to different resins used to improve the braking surface, some manufacturers also switched up layup and resins in other elements of the wheel as well. Lou

kgreene10
09-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Are the improvements really that wonderful? The braking on my DV46c wheels is better than the Zipp 404 FC clinchers I tested.

HugoBear
09-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Are the improvements really that wonderful? The braking on my DV46c wheels is better than the Zipp 404 FC clinchers I tested.

I agree. I have 808 Firecrests that I love but I also really like the dv46s too. If you can get dv46s for a good price, they are worth it. I don't think other wheels are worth a much higher price.

lhuerta
09-22-2013, 06:56 PM

I don't think I was making cross manufacturer comparisons...but, I share the same experience with poor braking on Zipp Firecrest wheels (compared to Reynolds). With regard to Reynolds specifically, I have ridden extensively both the DV46C (2010) and the Reynolds Forty Six (2011) and the braking difference is night and day, especially in wet conditions. Lou

kgreene10
09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
That's really interesting and good to know. I had thought that the 2011-12 Reynolds were essentially the same as the DV line.

carpediemracing
09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I only have experience with older DV46 tubulars, back when they were the "DV46" and the future clinchers were to be labeled DV46c.

I raced on the DV46s extensively. The braking wasn't like aluminum but they stopped pretty well in the wet (Swisstop yellows). I bought DV46cs a year or two later. The wheels felt pretty similar in the wet. I used them pretty exclusively for a couple years, even on the trainer. Both were better in the wet than my machined sidewall aluminum clinchers. After a couple years on the DV46 wheels I went training in the wet on the aluminum. The first time I tried to slow down on a steep hill in the rain while on the aluminum rims I panicked because it felt like nothing happened.

The rims were sturdy. I broke a spoke in the clincher rear, a spoke in the tubular front. The rear popped at the beginning of a group ride, basically on the roll out. I rode 2.5 hours on that broken spoke rear wheel, no problem. The front broke in a race in Prospect Park. I raced the remaining hour or so no problem, and, after hanging back for most of the race to see if the wheel would collapse and it didn't, I contested the sprint. I got 6th in a sprint where I had very little idea where the finish line was. I relaced the whole wheel in both cases.

Clip of the broken spoke race (not HD):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lgRKWEdG18

I eventually decided to go to the wide rims (I wanted more aero than the 46mm V shaped rims and decided to go beyond the 66s), buying 3 sets of HED wheels early one year. The DV46Ts are under a friend and teammate (permanent loan), the DV46Cs are under another friend and teammate (paid). Both are still in use.

jghall
09-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Guess your mileage may vary. I notice virtually no difference between the older version and the newer ul's.

lhuerta
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Guess your mileage may vary. I notice virtually no difference between the older version and the newer ul's.

The brake track "older version" and the "ul's" were the same which may explain why you don't feel a difference (Th UL version used a different resin and I think carbon layup on the rim construction which yielded a slightly lighter rim). It wasn't until the 2011 models (thirty two; forty six; sixty six) that the new braking track was introduced.
Lou

fogrider
09-23-2013, 01:32 AM
I have a wheelset with the DV32T rims. note that reynolds will not warranty the rims if you don't use their blue pads (http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=blue+pads&catalogId=10052&cn1=&langId=-1&gast=blue+pads&storeId=10053&URL=CatalogSearchResultView&ddkey=http:PBSearchTermAssociationsCmd). the issue is the heat buildup, their pads are softer and dissipates heat better than others.

I'm in the san francisco bay area and there are lots of hills, and I think many riders think they want more braking power than need. if you commute in the city, then you need all the stopping power you can get. if you ride on the open road, you just need enough power to slow for the turn (that should then be enough to stop you when you see a stop sign or light coming up in the distance). so it does requires some descending skills.

And compared to aluminum rims, carbon rims are stronger for less weight... which means they spin up fast!