PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shifter Rebuild?

ariw
09-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I have 2 road bikes, one with 6-8 year old Record 10, and the other with 2.5 year old Centaur. The Record levers don't shift anywhere near as well as the the Centaur ones, and on top of that, I think that I like the taller hoods as well. I thought that I read that there are springs and ratchets that can be replaced in the shifter to bring the good old days back. Does anyone offer that rebuild as a mail in service? I wouldn't mind sending them in if the price was reasonable. As an alternative, are there newer Record shifters with the tall hoods that would work with a 10sp drivetrain?

TIA,
-Ari

sales guy
09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I just did an overhaul n a Record 10 set today funny enough.

They just need overhauled and they will be great again. The set I just did was 10 years old. No damage inside.

As for using the new version body, you can swap out bodies and or get the new ones and switch the drive gear ring to a 10. I did it for a friend. It's a pain in the ass though to do everything cause Campy and suppliers are out of the rings quite often.

Unless someone has another answer, just overhaul them.

druptight
09-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I think Old Potatoe will overhaul them for you via mail, but I'd check with him to be sure.

cmg
09-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Brandford bike is your friend. http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm Plenty of parts, have fun. Here is the youtube video on disassembly. youtube has reassembly as well. the G spring sets the tension in the shifter, be sure to move lower smaller lever back to the starting point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0ttU_Jm0Y go have a crazy saturday night..:)

oldpotatoe
09-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I think Old Potatoe will overhaul them for you via mail, but I'd check with him to be sure.

Do it all the time and unlike 'some' other MO outfits, won't try to replace things that are ok. Email if you'd like go send them to me, one day turn around.

As for new shape UT shifters, nothing to wear out or break, like those from 2008 and older.

Btw, IME, not any harder to take apart new ones than old, easiest with hood off.