PDA

View Full Version : $3,400 for a power meter?

fiamme red
01-05-2006, 12:25 PM
SRM Dura AceŽ Professional PowerMeter (http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=37093&S=37093,37110)

Is this so superior to other power meters that the cost is justified?

BdaGhisallo
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
In a word, yes. The srm system is superior to the alternatives in the bicycle powermeter sector. They were the first and are still the best, imo.

You see loads of pros using them, most of them unsponsored. Those you see using powertaps are, invariably, being paid to do so.

Now whether the expense of the DAce srm model is justified over the regular srm cranks... well that's a choice we all have to make individually.

Samster
01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
only if i could get it in blue. those red and yellow swooshie stripes are tacky.

-sam

fiamme red
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
In a word, yes. The srm system is superior to the alternatives in the bicycle powermeter sector. They were the first and are still the best, imo.

You see loads of pros using them, most of them unsponsored. Those you see using powertaps are, invariably, being paid to do so.

Now whether the expense of the DAce srm model is justified over the regular srm cranks... well that's a choice we all have to make individually.Do you mean that SRM is much more accurate than PowerTap, or has much better downloading capacity? Or both?

Rover-Rich
01-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey my LBS told me that the problem with the SRM is that the system is not sealed and there are issues with the system needing to be recalibrated often. They also said that rain, road water etc can screw up the calibration. Is this BS? BTW I just bought a used Powertap wheel and love training with power vs HR and speed.

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
the DA10 SRM is one of those cycling things that really wasn't meant for the consumer

but

because there are consumers who want the stuff they see in pictures

and

because there are consumers who will plunk down 3 grand for a crank, or 5 grand for wheels, or 7 grand for a frame

these things can be bought

Too Tall
01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Rover-rich. That is straight up BS. They have no basis. Browse the wattage forum and you will NOT find complaints of that nature.

I've used SRM for 4 yrs. Other than a battery needing replacement I've had zero problems. It does not need recalibration frequently and is a fantastic unit with excellent customer support.

There is a newish player. The updated ERGOMO has been improved to the point where it is reliable and thus once again a good choice. I'd choose this over PT if price were an issue.

I've got GREAT respect for powertap. It also works, however it will need to be fiddled with to keep it happy and is prone to getting wet if you do not keep the seals in good shape and fittings properly tightened. We own both, I'm speaking from experience.

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I've got GREAT respect for powertap. It also works, however it will need to be fiddled with to keep it happy and is prone to getting wet if you do not keep the seals in good shape and fittings properly tightened. We own both, I'm speaking from experience.

oodf's has never needed recalibration

every day dfoo does the "coast/go to watt mode/hold select for two seconds thing...the word "watt" blinks, the torque is always zero...doof presses select again and gets on with it

either that or the owners manual is wack and these ain't the steps for checking the calibration..or maybe doof just got a good one

but yeah

one drop of water and its toast

BdaGhisallo
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I would agree that a lot of the "problems" you have heard about SRMs are BS. I have had an srm since 1998, using three different powermeters and two different powercontrols in that time. I have never had a problem with the main system. I have had the odd pc download cable give up, but I think that was down more to my mishandling the cable and the pins in the plug.

I have never had issues with weather getting into either unit and I consider it one of the best investments I have ever made in the cycling realm. I have been reading the Wattage list on Topica since its inception, and I would not want to count how many folks have had weather and water issues with the Powertap. It is a good system but it has had teething issues, and to their credit, Powertap is working them out and being honest with their customers. The SRM system has been around since 1988. Those issues with weatherproofing and system roubustness were solved a long time ago. As for the Polar unit - forget it. From all the complaints with inaccuracy and reading variability, and all the stories of setup difficulty I have heard about it, I can only conclude that it is a crap product that should have never come to market. Polar should stick to HRMs.

If you want to measure power, the SRM is it. It doesn't get any better. Sure it is very expensive but, as with many things, you get what you pay for.

For years I have been trying to convince my lbs owner to give up on the sigma power computer and the tacx power trainer and the powertap he was using and flogging, and he would never heed my advice to simply get an SRM and forget the rest. I was talking to him today - he said he just ordered two srm systems for himself!!!!

Now I am not a huge athlete and, for sure, I don't need an SRM for what I do, but it is nice to be able to monitor exactly what I have done when I ride. No guessing about how much better or worse I am this week vs last week and so on. I can tell how many calories I've burned and so on. It's a great tool.

huey
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I have used a power tap pro for 2 years with no issues at all. I have replaced the batteries, that's all. Weather has never been an issue with mine at all. I know that the first genereation had problems with getting wet, and the need to dry out. I believe that this was resolved when the Pro model was introduced. I have over 5k trouble free miles on mine and would reccomend it to anyone.

On a side note I rode a bike with the SRM D/A 10 and it was amazing. I at this stage of my life cannot justify the $2,300 price difference.

Brad

Fixed
01-05-2006, 02:58 PM
bro if you build it, they will come
cheers :beer:

fiamme red
01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
One big advantage of PowerTap, is that it's easy to move from one bike to another. Definitely not easy with SRM.

itsalldark
01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Never had a problem with my SRM and it is two seasons old. As far as the color of the stripes on the cranks---there are a number of choices, your local shop will know all about them if they are up to speed. You also get to choose the color of the head as well. Don't let color get in the way!

Too Tall
01-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Actually it is not hard to move the SRM. I keep a second complete harness installed on my backup race bike....just yank cranks...torque and done...5 mins. I use square taper. A distinct advantage with this system and ERGOMO is that you can change the wheels and not lose the meter.

jeffg
01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Rover-rich. That is straight up BS. They have no basis. Browse the wattage forum and you will NOT find complaints of that nature.

I've used SRM for 4 yrs. Other than a battery needing replacement I've had zero problems. It does not need recalibration frequently and is a fantastic unit with excellent customer support.

There is a newish player. The updated ERGOMO has been improved to the point where it is reliable and thus once again a good choice. I'd choose this over PT if price were an issue.

Too Tall:

Good to hear about the new Ergomo. Since it is a German product, I should see what the prices are here. The downside to the Ergomo is that I would have togive up my Phil BB (Campy) and I doubt they make one the would fit on a pmp crank. On the bright side, if you are a compact rider this is a better option than the new FSA SRM which costs as much as the DA 10 version.

I am really getting hooked on riding with power and HR on the trainer (Cardgirus claims +/- 2% for the model I have) and I would love to graph some of these rides in the mountains and use it for training with NP, TSS, etc.

jerk
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
the jerk has had srm, powertap and ergomo.

ergomo is hands down the easiest to install, maintain and work with. it is also the least finicky and the most resistent to the elements. srm is a close second and looks much much more pro if you are into that type of thing.

jerk

fstrthnu
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
SRM is for Pimps.
Ergomo is for Players.
Power Tap is a Co$tly Mistake.
Fstrthnu :rolleyes:

jerk
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Too Tall:

Good to hear about the new Ergomo. Since it is a German product, I should see what the prices are here. The downside to the Ergomo is that I would have togive up my Phil BB (Campy) and I doubt they make one the would fit on a pmp crank. On the bright side, if you are a compact rider this is a better option than the new FSA SRM which costs as much as the DA 10 version.

I am really getting hooked on riding with power and HR on the trainer (Cardgirus claims +/- 2% for the model I have) and I would love to graph some of these rides in the mountains and use it for training with NP, TSS, etc.

campy square taper is what's currently available. it'll be available in octalink and isis soon. so yes, you can keep your pmp crank.

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
SRM is for Pimps.
Ergomo is for Players.
Power Tap is a Co$tly Mistake.
Fstrthnu :rolleyes:

yo

doof had srm when you was sittin in US History and checkin out cheerleaders

(ok..so it was used)

but doof ain't no pimp

doof ain't no playa

doof sez powertap on a 700 dollar bike is for MP hatas

yo

fstrthnu
01-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Dear Dr. Doofus,

I wasn't checking out cheerleaders... They were checking Me out.

Word.

IMHO Bro... IMHO

Fstrthnu :cool:

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Dear Dr. Doofus,

I wasn't checking out cheerleaders... They were checking Me out.

Word.

IMHO Bro... IMHO

Fstrthnu :cool:

like this?

http://www.adventurocity.com/images/cn/cnkwl001.php

hatas gotta hate, bro

fstrthnu
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Doof... You are nuckin futs!

I approve!!!!!!!!

:)

Fstrthnu

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 05:18 PM
much love from the 803, homie

jeffg
01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
campy square taper is what's currently available. it'll be available in octalink and isis soon. so yes, you can keep your pmp crank.

That's great news. I had thought the taper for the PMP BB was slightly different than the standard Campy (or at least PMP claims it is).

Go Ergomo :banana:

Hysbrian
01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
yo

doof sez powertap on a 700 dollar bike is for MP hatas

yo

Word home slice

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Word home slice

hate on the doof's fly ride

you get beat down

doof rolls the two wheel like deez boyz in tha student lot at Tha Rock:

primer+white '86 Rabbit

two rims

two spares

leather steering wheel

holes in the seats

vanity plate:

TYCOONZ

Too Tall
01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Jeffg - PM me I'll set you up with a spreadsheet to figure TSS from ride data...snot hard ;)
Odof - Jail Break 06'. It's just around the corner arrroooo.

Len J
01-06-2006, 08:03 AM

How readily availible is this product?

How long have you been using it.......it's a pretty new product isn't it?

Is the download cable USB?...it appears to be serial only.

It looks like exactly what I'm looking for.......but I don't want to spend the money on something not ready for the market.

Thanks.

Len

fiamme red
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Here's some excellent and very thorough info on training with power and the various systems:

http://www.midweekclub.com/powerFAQ.htm