PDA

View Full Version : Help quiet the vocies

Dave B
01-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Ok, I am about to ask a question that may garner a variety of responses, but I need help.

I have had the opportunity and a (patient and loving wife) to own several types of road bikes. Everything form mass produced cannondales, treks, to a quality built serotta.

I cannot seem to settle on a bike. Now I know as cyclists we tend to own several or trade othen different bikes.

I had the opportunity of owning a Madone with full Dura-ace 10 and all the bells and whistles when they came out in 2004.

I currently own a Fierte Ti wth full record, and many more luxurious options.

I want to so badly go back to the madone for several fun and stupid reasons.

SO my question is this.

What benefits and cons am I already in, owning a ti bike versus a carbon bike?

I know this is the serotta forum, but could actually use help on this. I imagine it is a grass is always greener issue.

flydhest
01-05-2006, 12:21 PM
do you have to give up the Fierte to get the Madone?

JohnS
01-05-2006, 12:34 PM
The Fierte is a stock bike. Does it fit you? If not, all the "full Record and many more luxurious options", as you put it, aren't going to help.

Sandy
01-05-2006, 12:40 PM
My take on this is quite simple. No matter the answers to your question, I think that you should go back to the Madone for a simple reason- "I want to so badly go back to the Madone for several fun and stupid reasons." If that is what you want to do, then why would you not? Isn't fun (and other reasons) the name of the game?

The Madone is a wonderful bike, made by a company with a great hsitory with carbon bikes. There are undoubtedly advantages of carbon and advantages of titanium, and you could get a zillion opinions of which is best. It can be very confusing.

Go with your emotion and passion. Ride the one that you really want to ride- the Trek (assuming that the cost is not a major concern).

Simple Simpleton Serotta Sandy

Dave B
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes the Fierte fits fine, yes I would have to sell/trade for a madone frame or entire bike.

I guess the down side is that I have put on the most miles I have ever done on the serotta, and it says somethign to be a part of something special like the Serotta company.

Who knows. The vices will have to keep screaming! :)

Samster
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Get both... keep both... ride both... one at a time, though. ;)

good luck...
-sam

(yeah, i have more than one bike... and it's good...)

Dave B
01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Let's hope the lottery comes through then!

Tailwinds
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Follow your heart. I know it might sound crass, but think about this: life really IS short. I know this.

Dave B
01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
ok, so anyone want to buy a fierti ti size 56???? :crap:

Sandy
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Follow your heart. I know it might sound crass, but think about this: life really IS short. I know this.

Yep!! You got it!!

Sandy

Dave B
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I totally agree, but what if your heart is torn?

Tailwinds
01-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I know about those voices, Mr. President, I really do.

It sounds like they are winning. ;)

e-RICHIE
I totally agree, but what if your heart is torn?

leave the madone;
take the madonna.
http://www.rathergood.com/bill/

Samster
... yes I would have to sell/trade for a madone frame or entire bike.

oh... i didn't get that part... that's a toughie.

having been in similar positions in my past, i'll say that if a particular model is calling your name, it's fun to heed the call. but i find that after a few months of ownership, i:

a) miss what i gave up (unless it really sucked)

b) am no longer sure why i wanted the new bike so badly to begin with.

but like relationships, some of us date a lot of bikes... and then just keep on dating a lot of bikes...

hey, it's not a person... no feelings involved except your own. if you've got the resources, play the field and enjoy....

--sam

ps... but i don't care what they say about carbon... i think ti is better ;)

Sandy
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Say, Mr. President, couldn't you simply order one from Trek, pay for it with Government funds, and say it is needed for homeland security? I would be glad to provide any necessary assistance.

Mr. Abramoff

andy mac
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
just occasionally i am practical.

i have owned trek carbon frames in the past and now own a nude serotta ti frame. the trek frames were super easy to scratch etc when cleaning, traveling, putting on bike racks, even leaning on things etc.

touch wood, as i never went down big-time on either, but i imagine the trek would be toast, at least visually and the ti would just have some 'character'. maybe like an old pair of 501's.

bombs away,

any.

Dave B
01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
If I told my bike that she wasn;t a person I do not think I would have to make the choice if she would leave me or not.

I keep coming back to the thought of:
"Will this new bike (or date as you so well put) make me happy. The funny thing is I have probably answered my own question already (keeping the serotta) but I desperatly want to sort out the urge to always find somethi new."

I guess new isn't always better.

I tell my 5th grade students all the time that they need to be patient and appreciate what they have.

I guess it is easier to teach then to do, huh! :rolleyes:

Dave B
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Man....Bush.....

First time I ever felt sorry for a Republican! :D

Samster
01-05-2006, 01:19 PM
The funny thing is I have probably answered my own question already (keeping the serotta) but I desperatly want to sort out the urge to always find somethi new."

yes... classic midlife crisis... no offense... i'm just getting over mine.

it gets worse before it gets better.

map out all the trek dealers in a 50 mile radius around your house and visit each one for a test ride or two. see if the urge still persists. boy, does that ever sound like lbs abuse. i did that to a porsche dealer once... felt bad for hours on end.

-sam

Dave B
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I have had a madoen once, and loved it, but when wife got pregnant I sold it. Never regretted it. Daughter was worth it.

However, I also have Lance-itis pretty bad.

coylifut
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
It would be a bummer to sell the Serotta at 50% of replacement value (isn't that what used bike go for?) and buy a new Madone at full retail. Ouch. You could justify it if the Serotta rode like crap and the Modone rode great.

Damm, why do I gotta be practical all the time.

William
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
It would be a bummer to sell the Serotta at 50% of replacement value (isn't that what used bike go for?) and buy a new Madone at full retail. Ouch. You could justify it if the Serotta rode like crap and the Modone rode great.

Damm, why do I gotta be practical all the time.

You just like a good investment. ZZZZZZa...... ;)

William

Dave B
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
YeahI hear ya, but I bought the bike with basic stuff on it and have added lots of new stuff.

New record, Ksyriums SSC SL, FSA Mega-.....oh hell here is a picture1
With all of the parts new I could probably get the money for a used madone.

nobrakes
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
If you have the space, there's no sin in having a fleet. I sold a 753 Reynolds Team Raleigh a few years ago, and still regret it. Best steel frame ever. I have a Colorado II I ordered custom 10 years ago, refuse to sell it, even though it's been relegated to fixed gear use. I ride this one a lot for early season, but use scandium Interloc and Look 585 interchangably during the season, depending on mood or route, or weather. Got a bunch of other bikes that I don't need, but can't part with. Every time I hear the voices (my wife?) telling me to flush a few bikes outa the garage, I get deaf.

Fixed
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
bro i'm as big a junkie as anybody so here is my take.... keep what you have it is a lot more bike and more rare . i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Serpico
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
you wanna trade that Fierte... for a Madone? ***

what is "lance-itis", btw? could that be the source of this ;)

Smiley
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Mr Prez , get rid of those wheels and your Fierte would ride so much better you would not even think of buying another bike. Invest your money wisely in the event that life gets longer rather then shorter. I feel that buying at almost full retail and selling at 50 % or less is a losing proposition. Serotta's are the finest built bikes in the world. Why get rid of a relatively new bike that has treated you right. Will the TREK make you any faster ? If you think so then do it. Me I will save my Federal Reserve Notes as my man Anhieda Ride says for that rainy day.

cpg
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Keep the Serotta. It's a better bike.

Curt

dirtdigger88
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Keep the Serotta. It's a better bike.

Curt

but still loose the wheels

besides- the Trek is yesterday's news- haven't you heard- Lance retired- no one wants them anymore- ;)

Jason

SoCalSteve
01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
We have a great wheelbuilder in our midst.

Just ask...

Steve

PS: His name starts with a Er and ends with a Gott

Fixed
01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
bro did i get it wrong you want trade for a madame? bro you really do have a nice wife ,now i can see that president and a madame cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
get a pegoretti

get a hot intern and call her madam or madone or mark or whetever you want

oh

and dofo didn't vote for you

he liked that other guy better

William
01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
We have a great wheelbuilder in our midst.

Just ask...

Steve

PS: His name starts with a Er and ends with a Gott

I don't know? But I know he likes Calvin & Hobbs. ;)

William

saab2000
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I voted absentee for Perot. Twice.

Get a Couer d'Acier with a level top tube. 57 cm. Get sick of it and sell it and place it in the classifieds at an eyewatering discount. After all, used bikes lose a lot of value.

I heard someone here is interested in a CDA.