PDA

View Full Version : Nokon cable housing

Veloo
09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I am curious about the Nokon cable housing. Any experience with these? Extra effort but some say it pays off.
On a Ti frame will any contact noise drive me nuts?

dave thompson
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I tried Nokon several years ago and discarded it because I couldn't stand the swinging of cabling when slack.

It is great in limited usage such as tight bends or cable runs such as under the bartape with 6700/7900 shifters.

John H.
09-21-2013, 01:20 PM
What do you hope to achieve with the Nokon setup?
If you have a ti bike you probably have external cables so the bends in the housing should already be good?

donevwil
09-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I installed a set about 10 years ago and used it for about 5 years. Some features may have changed, not sure, but realize that my input is based on the original design:

PROs:

- Most compression resistant system out there. Shifting improved noticeably, braking more firm. Better than any of the expensive systems I've tried.

CONs:

- Royal pain to install as one has to make triple sure that all the little links are seated into their neighbor or you'll ultimately end up with slop in the system.

- Dearilleur cable sleeve didn't fit through downtube cable adjuster so I had to cut and restart the sleeve.

- My housing pieces were anodized aluminum and after a year or so they became creaky. This was on a dry weather bike so I can only imagine it'd be worse with a winter of CX bike.

I think the design has been modified to address some of these issues. Now, I use some remaining parts on bikes with awkwardly routed cables (as mentioned by a previous poster) to turn tighter corners without adding resistance.