PDA

View Full Version : I want a Couer d'Acier

saab2000
01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Yup, candy apple red. Panels. F3 Fork, painted to match.

57 CM, level top tube. :beer:

Sounds neato, huh? Just gotta get some cash together for this. And thin the herd here at home a bit more to justify it. It's the only Serotta I can afford, but should be cool if I can swing it. I like steel bikes.

This thing is no more expensive than other comparable steel bikes from other 'name' manufacturers.

BTW, how much is that candy apple red option on the frame?

TimD
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I've seen the CdA in candy apple red, and it is sweet. Go for it...

TimD

SoCalSteve
01-05-2006, 10:56 AM
You can build and paint any bike...

And, it gives you the prices as well.

I think all you need is the Java app.

Steve

Dr. Doofus
01-05-2006, 10:56 AM
me too

57 x 56.5

16.6cm setback

5.5cm trail

red with two white panels

black decals

lets rob a bank

together

now we need cash

more than ever

lets rob a bank

together

now

geezohwiz
01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Saab,

Use the java applet on the Serotta web site to calculate the price of your preferred paint scheme (http://www.serotta.com/pages/paintit.html, click on the "Serotta Custom Paint Shop" button)...looks like $250 for the Panel paint scheme and an additional $200 for Candy Apple Red.

Tailwinds
01-05-2006, 11:01 AM

Sounds neato, huh? Just gotta get some cash together for this. And thin the herd here at home a bit more to justify it. It's the only Serotta I can afford, but should be cool if I can swing it. I like steel bikes.

This thing is no more expensive than other comparable steel bikes from other 'name' manufacturers.

It does sound neato! The candy apple red w/panels will be sweet. A steel fork would be sweeter on it than a carbon fork, though, i.m.h.o.

Will you be getting carbon or steel seatstays on the CdA?

Ahneida Ride
01-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Pay your LBS with Federal Reserve Notes.
You just may get a "discount".

saab2000
01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
The big question is whether or not I can afford it. I really need to get rid of some of my stuff. I am sending my mountain bike away today. That will ease the crowding and provide some cash.

It is easy to pump the price up with that paint.......... But I think I am gonna try to do this. I've been hanging around here too long to not at least attempt to own a Serotta.

saab2000
01-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Pay your LBS with Federal Reserve Notes.
You just may get a "discount".

Credit? What's that? Seriously, my credit card is hardly ever used. I have no money, but I ain't in a dime of debt either. A bit old fashioned, but that philosophy has served me well so far. Don't buy what you can't afford.

saab2000
01-05-2006, 11:18 AM
If I do this, I will for sure be getting the steel stays. I have no need for the carbon. The carbon fork is not my first choice, but they don't make a steel one and supposedly the F3 is pretty sweet. But if there were a steel fork option I'd be doin' it.

72gmc
01-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Credit? What's that? Seriously, my credit card is hardly ever used. I have no money, but I ain't in a dime of debt either. A bit old fashioned, but that philosophy has served me well so far. Don't buy what you can't afford.

That's an excellent money philosophy. I was playing with the CDA on the color selector toy the other day... for some reason I was gravitating toward an ice blue frame with white panels, then that cranberry-red color for the fork. Looks pleasingly old-school to me for some reason. The CDA I'm saving for has a steel rear triangle and some of a steel fork as well.

Argos
01-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I think a Steel Fork is pretty damn classy. I especially like the straight bladed jobs.

Tailwinds
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
The big question is whether or not I can afford it. I really need to get rid of some of my stuff. I am sending my mountain bike away today. That will ease the crowding and provide some cash.

Looks like I'll be contributing a little to your bike fund if your Look fork has enough steerer tube... cool how we can support each other's habits here. We're all in this together, huh. :beer:

Now if someone will buy my Polar power meter. Heck, I might even sell my Trek Fuel 90 to support my road bike habit.

67-59
01-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Saab2000 -- this may be a bit off topic, but I had to respond to that comment. It is very possible (and indeed financially smart) to use credit liberally, while still not going into debt. For years, I have used my card to pay for everything I can -- gas, groceries, utility bills, etc. There are two reasons for this: First, you get the financial benefit of the "float." That is, the bank pays for your purchases now, and then you pay the bank later. In the meantime, you can invest your money, and collect any interest or gains. Second, nowadays banks lure people to their cards by providing other "freebies." The most well known is frequent flyer miles (which may be less relevant to you because I understand you're a pilot). But even if you fly for free, you can use the miles for other things. A few months back, I got 4 free nights at the Grand Hyatt in NYC, all for some frequent flyer miles I accumulated while buying things I needed anyway.

The only key -- and this is what trips up most people -- is buying only the things you'd buy if you had to pay cash, and paying the balance in full each month (to avoid finance charges). I have done this for probably 20 years now, and never paid a late fee or finance charge. And while the bank interest is admittedly low, 20 years x 1 month float x several thousand $$ purchases per month adds up over time. The free flights, hotels, etc. are just some nice icing on the cake.

Food for thought.

Back on topic -- steel is real. Enjoy the CDA.

davids
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
What 67-59 said! I have a Fidelity 529 MasterCard that earns me about $1000/year towards my daughter's higher ed.

According to Serotta, the Panel paint job is $250, the Candy Apple Red is $200, and the painted fork is $110. Oh, and the F3 is $575 and the CDA is $1,595. So, it's $2,730 to Serotta, and it'll look something like this:

Samster
01-05-2006, 01:13 PM

Call me if you'd like a loan at loan-shark rates... ;)

-sam

PS does this mean your merckx is history?

Serotta PETE
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I really like the ride of the CDA. I have only ridden one with F2 and it was great. Go on and get it....IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT, I am the same size as you and would welcome it to NC>

PETE :beer:

oldguy00
01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Saab2000 -- this may be a bit off topic, but I had to respond to that comment. It is very possible (and indeed financially smart) to use credit liberally, while still not going into debt. For years, I have used my card to pay for everything I can -- gas, groceries, utility bills, etc. There are two reasons for this: First, you get the financial benefit of the "float." That is, the bank pays for your purchases now, and then you pay the bank later. In the meantime, you can invest your money, and collect any interest or gains. Second, nowadays banks lure people to their cards by providing other "freebies." The most well known is frequent flyer miles (which may be less relevant to you because I understand you're a pilot). But even if you fly for free, you can use the miles for other things. A few months back, I got 4 free nights at the Grand Hyatt in NYC, all for some frequent flyer miles I accumulated while buying things I needed anyway.

The only key -- and this is what trips up most people -- is buying only the things you'd buy if you had to pay cash, and paying the balance in full each month (to avoid finance charges). I have done this for probably 20 years now, and never paid a late fee or finance charge. And while the bank interest is admittedly low, 20 years x 1 month float x several thousand $$ purchases per month adds up over time. The free flights, hotels, etc. are just some nice icing on the cake.

Food for thought.

Back on topic -- steel is real. Enjoy the CDA.

This is exactly what I do too. Up to 200k AC airmiles, enough for 8 round trips anywhere in North America. :)

oldguy00
01-05-2006, 01:42 PM
For the money, I'd rather get a new Merckx MX Leader, but thats just me!

Bradford
01-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Damn, that Candy Apple Red is hot. I say buy it.

Fixed
01-05-2006, 02:16 PM
bro I'd like to get one too someday, a lot of the bro's here ride 57's .i'd like mine all the way with the steel fork and please hold the carbon cheeers :beer:

saab2000
01-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the answers! Yeah, it would be a sweet bike. I am gonna try to do it. But it is spendy. The bare frame is a good price. The extras like the color can be dispensed of without compromising the bike at all. Good thing.

I have all the components I would need, except maybe the front der. Depends on whether or not this would replace the Merckx, which it might.

Regarding the credit, those are good ideas, but I can't afford to pay a $2500 credit card bill off in full at the end of the month. I know all the tricks as far as what you can do with credit card points. The airline miles mean nothing to me, as I fly anywhere I want for free, or next to free. I don't spend enough to accrue many points.

When it comes to the credit thing, I am a bit skeptical of their motives. I have a credit card with a reasonable limit, but I only charge a few hundred dollars per month. It is from a good company which will not sell my identity, has real people on the other end of the phone line, and will give me a mortgage when I need it. Yeah, I am old fashioned, but I don't believe in the credit card companies' benevolance. If I get a Serotta, it's gonna be paid in greenbacks.

We'll see........ That candy apple red shore is nice!!! :beer:

oldguy00
01-05-2006, 02:51 PM
The airline miles mean nothing to me, as I fly anywhere I want for free, or next to free.

I have many girl friends who are travel freaks, who would like to get to know you better....;)

davids
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Regarding the credit, those are good ideas, but I can't afford to pay a $2500 credit card bill off in full at the end of the month...

...When it comes to the credit thing, I am a bit skeptical of their motives. I have a credit card with a reasonable limit, but I only charge a few hundred dollars per month. It is from a good company which will not sell my identity, has real people on the other end of the phone line, and will give me a mortgage when I need it. Yeah, I am old fashioned, but I don't believe in the credit card companies benevolance. If I get a Serotta, it's gonna be paid in greenbacks.
Well, if you change your mind, here's the other credit card trick: Ever once in a while I get one of those "No Interest Charges until xxxx..." offers. I waited, and waited, and got one that goes through 2/07!

Now I've got an interest-free loan through next February, minimum monthly payments totalling around $30, a steadily growing savings account balance, and a new Nove. I'll pay off the card with months to spare.

Thanks Countrywide! :bike:

scrooge
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Disclaimer: I'm ignorant, and I don't want to abuse Serotta's hospitality.

But could someone tell me what is so special about this red to make it worth an extra 200 (my Candy blue was an extra 50 on my bike). Also, an extra 250 for panels? Perhaps someone could explain to me what goes into this to make it worth 450 dollars extra?
Again, no disrespect intended, and I'm sure it's beautiful, but I am a little curious.

flydhest
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
some paints are more expensive and panels involve more labor to be done right.

it's worth the money to some because they value it more than the money. for others, not worth it.

davids
01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
some paints are more expensive and panels involve more labor to be done right.

it's worth the money to some because they value it more than the money. for others, not worth it.
You oughta be an economist!

saab2000
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, if you change your mind, here's the other credit card trick: Ever once in a while I get one of those "No Interest Charges until xxxx..." offers. I waited, and waited, and got one that goes through 2/07!

Now I've got an interest-free loan through next February, minimum monthly payments totalling around $30, a steadily growing savings account balance, and a new Nove. I'll pay off the card with months to spare.

Thanks Countrywide! :bike:

I will admit that that sounds like a good deal.

saab2000
01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Disclaimer: I'm ignorant, and I don't want to abuse Serotta's hospitality.

But could someone tell me what is so special about this red to make it worth an extra 200 (my Candy blue was an extra 50 on my bike). Also, an extra 250 for panels? Perhaps someone could explain to me what goes into this to make it worth 450 dollars extra?
Again, no disrespect intended, and I'm sure it's beautiful, but I am a little curious.

I have always liked red bikes. Don't know why, I just do. Also, I saw a couple of the candy red bikes here on the website for some of their different models. They struck me as really nice. Let it be known, though, that if I ever got one of their carbon bikes I would not get it painted, just raw. As far as the panels go, that is another story.

I have a bit of a problem paying $450 for these options to be honest, especially knowing that the regular Serotta colors and paint quality is very good.

TimD
01-06-2006, 08:30 AM
According to Serotta, the Panel paint job is $250, the Candy Apple Red is $200, and the painted fork is $110. Oh, and the F3 is $575 and the CDA is $1,595. So, it's $2,730 to Serotta, and it'll look something like this:

Sorry, but $685 for a fork? That's insane - or maybe it is sourced from Porsche. Suggest you go with an unpainted Ouzo Pro and spend the leftover $350 on a better set of wheels.

TimD

saab2000
01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry, but $685 for a fork? That's insane - or maybe it is sourced from Porsche. Suggest you go with an unpainted Ouzo Pro and spend the leftover $350 on a better set of wheels.

TimD

I already have the best wheels in the world: Nucleon tubulars!!
:D

I see your point on the fork. I don't know how the F3 compares with the Ouzo Pro. I just got an Ouzo Pro for my Merckx. If it is satisfactory I would consider what you suggested.

I would love to hear comments on the F3 and how its high price makes it worth it. That is not a negative or cynical thought either. I think the old F2 was closely related to the Ouzo Pro, but now the F3 is supposed to be a completely new thing. I would love to hear from anyone in the know why the F3 is so great. What makes it worth hundreds more than an Ouzo Pro?

Sandy
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
So would I.

saab2001