PDA

View Full Version : Infection

Lewis Moon
09-21-2013, 09:00 AM
When I came back to cycling I did with the intention of "keeping it real, simple and cheap". I started out on a Dumpster Diva Nishiki International that I had to wrest back from the rust monster. I rode that for 3 or so months, going from huffing on a three mile spin to feeling decent doing ~ 15 miles...but it handled like the Queen Mary. So I moved up to a '93 Waterford Paramount that I bought as an unknown frame off the 'bay and had re-coated. I rode that, meanwhile scrapping the second hand, rebuilt Shimano drivetrain for second hand, rebuilt Campy 10. Nothing cost over $100. I was pretty proud of my frugal, dust bin racer.
But I became enamoured with 'cross bikes. A kind lister here sold me a 2006 Poprad which I LOVED but struggled with getting the brakes right. You see, I wasn't really riding it like a 'cross bike, and as a road bike, it wasn't perfect. So I bought a rebadged Salsa Primero.
Now, I'm getting ready for my first race in 20+ years. I'm doing intervals and hill specific training 2-3 days a week. I'm buying expensive kit. I have a Garmin. I have "race wheels". I think I might buy a custom Stoemper. I don't blink at the prospect of having to buy a whole new shifter when one of my Campys go south.
It's a freakin' disease, I tell you. And I got it good.

4Rings6Stars
09-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm right there with you...

I rebuilt an old Free Spirit 10 speed that I found in a trash pile in 2008 and used that to ride around my college campus.

5 years later... Merckx MXL, IF Planet X, Desalvo disc monstercross, Raleigh Team Cross, Soma Double Cross Disc, WTB Phoenix ti... and the newest addition, a Serotta Concours ti arriving at my doorstep any day.

I remember agonizing about having to spend $20 on a new tire for that first bike and using hockey tape as handlebar tape. Today I am trying to decide if I want to order a new 11 speed group for the Serotta or if I can make do with the Centaur 10 group I have hanging around in a box...

Although I might be regressing, because now after the recent thread in the classifieds I want a freaking Walmart fat bike, haha.

gomango
09-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm right there with you...

I rebuilt an old Free Spirit 10 speed that I found in a trash pile in 2008 and used that to ride around my college campus.

5 years later... Merckx MXL, IF Planet X, Desalvo disc monstercross, Raleigh Team Cross, Soma Double Cross Disc, WTB Phoenix ti... and the newest addition, a Serotta Concours ti arriving at my doorstep any day.

I remember agonizing about having to spend $20 on a new tire for that first bike and using hockey tape as handlebar tape. Today I am trying to decide if I want to order a new 11 speed group for the Serotta or if I can make do with the Centaur 10 group I have hanging around in a box...

Although I might be regressing, because now after the recent thread in the classifieds I want a freaking Walmart fat bike, haha.

Same story here.

Most people have no idea how many bicycles I have here.......

BTW I just asked my wife if she needed anything at Walmart, as I am running a little errand over there in half an hour. :)

bobswire
09-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I admit I'm infected and try to infect others with this disease.
A neighbor was getting ready to throw this bike out to the metal heap at the junk yard. I rescued it , took it all apart,cleaned, lubed and added some paint/new tires/parts then gave it away to an unsuspecting fool who will most likely catch our infection. I like finding junkers that can be made ride able then give them away to a street person or someone in need. This is probably the 4th or 5th one I done.
Before
http://i42.tinypic.com/3tvf6.jpg

After

http://i41.tinypic.com/vgigj6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/6ycv89.jpg

Lewis Moon
09-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Nice. Way to go, typhoid Bob.

roguedog
09-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Nice job, Bob! Looks great.

Maybe that's how we take over the world... For all the folks who annoy us or bug us on the roads, secretly drop off a bike on their doorstep and let the conversion/assimilation begin.

I LIKE it..

josephr
09-21-2013, 09:51 AM
I admit I'm infected and try to infect others with this disease.
A neighbor was getting ready to throw this bike out to the metal heap at the junk yard. I rescued it , took it all apart,cleaned, lubed and added some paint/new tires/parts then gave it away to an unsuspecting fool who will most likely catch our infection. I like finding junkers that can be made ride able then give them away to a street person or someone in need. This is probably the 4th or 5th one I done.

good job and great way to get more folks into riding!
Joe

rwsaunders
09-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I caught the bug long distance from Dave Thompson.