PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Owners Club

CT Rider
01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
How many of you Serotta owners belong to their Owner's Club?

How many have joined the Level 2 Club, which provides crash insurance?

....Just Curious.

(I plan to join Level 1, the LG Jersey sounds like a cool perk.)

Bruce K
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
All 3 of my bikes have the max protection.

It just seems like money well spent, given the cost of repairs/replacement of custom built frames.

I even renewed my older Concours for an additional 5 years.

After the cost of the bike itself and figuring the cost of the jersey, the discounts on soft goods (jerseys, hats, t-shirts, etc.), the discounted event costs (if you plan to attend), the cost of membership/insurance is quite small.

BK

Bud
01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I was thinking about joining and would like to, but $150 is no small sum to me when I have other endeavors to finance as well (skiing, travel, etc.). That said, I may try to do it this winter.

Dekonick
01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
$150 is cheap considering crash protection. I would rather have Ben & Co repair my bike than have to eat the cost of a new frame myself.

CT Rider
01-05-2006, 11:35 AM
$150 is cheap considering crash protection.

I believe $150 is for Level 1 membership which doesn't include the crash insurance. To me it looks crash insurance kicks in at $250 for the Level 2 Membership, still a pretty price though, especially if you race or ride very aggressively.

Dekonick
01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I believe $150 is for Level 1 membership which doesn't include the crash insurance. To me it looks crash insurance kicks in at $250 for the Level 2 Membership, still a pretty price though, especially if you race or ride very aggressively.

Heck it covers stupidity too...back up over your bike? covered. Forget to take bike off rack and enter garage... covered.

Yeah - $150 is lvl 1. oops!

geezohwiz
01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
...after asking much the same question on this forum. I thought about it for a while...$250 is pretty steep! But the peace of mind in knowing that it's covered for almost anything is well worth it if you're going to ride it regularly.

Bruce K
01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, shelling out an additional $250.00 on top of your new Serotta is not easy, but you really think the $250.00 is steep?

Using the idea of math to prove a point from the demographic thread:

The jersey is worth say $65.00? That brings the cost down to $185.00.

One Open House registration waived for say 2 times - another $50.00, now you are down to $135.00.

$135.00 equates to $27.00 per year for insuring your bike to limit your exposure to any kind of damage .

That presumes you don't decide to refinish your bike during those 5 years, in which case you get a discounted price on the refinishing. If you saved $100.00 on refinishing, that would make your cost per year of insurance $7.00 per year.

The "Owner's Club frame sale" or whatever you want to call it that allowed members of the Owner's Club to purchase a new frame for a discounted price last fall more than covered the Owner's Club cost for the original Serotta and the new one for any member, essentially making it free!

That doesn't even address the discounts on Serotta connected tours or other special events.

No matter how I look at it, the Owner's Club seemed well worth the price to me.

BK

CT Rider
01-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Does the Level 2 Policy really cover damages incurred in any way or is it just limited to on-cycle crashes? The wording just refers to "Crash Coverage".

Bruce K
01-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I was once told by someone at Serotta that the most common damage was "garage doors". That would lead me to think that it is any damage other than intentional (you p.o.'d your s.o.).

Maybe James or Andrew could help us out on this one.

CT Rider
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
That would lead me to think that it is any damage other than intentional (you p.o.'d your s.o.).

Me p.o. my significant other (wife)? Luckily she doesn't know and hasn't asked (yet) how much my Serotta will cost!!

Bruce,

BTW, speaking of significant others, my wife and I spent an enjoyable week last summer in Rockport. Had some good rides in the area, including Gloucester. We had a particularly good Italian meal at some local hole-in-wall pizza place in downtown Gloucester which is quite popular with the locals. (I can't remember the name!)

CT Rider
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I originally was leaning towards Level 1 Membership, but after the points made by you folks I'm lnow leaning towards Level 2.

Bruce K
01-05-2006, 12:59 PM
CT;

Glad you had a good time in the area. There is definitely lots of good cycling in the area and Rockport is nice in the summer.

There are lots of good places to eat in town. Not sure which one you went to.

We think some of the best pizza is from a place called Delaney's.

My wife grew up in West Hartford, so this is getting a little wierd.... ;)

I don't think you will regret whichever choice you make for the O.C., but if you've decided on membership in the first place, you might as well go all in.

:banana:

BK

Serotta PETE
01-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I am with Bruce K on this one. We have a large $$ investment and the insurance (besides bennies) is peace of mind. I have in on bike.

PETE

Kevin
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I am a level 2 member on my Ottrott. I never got around to doing the paperwork on the CSI or the Hors. I wonder what Serotta would do if I damaged the rear on the Hors?

Kevin

Serotta PETE
01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I am a level 2 member on my Ottrott. I never got around to doing the paperwork on the CSI or the Hors. I wonder what Serotta would do if I damaged the rear on the Hors?

Kevin

Per Sandy, "they would give you a new one"

William
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
We had a particularly good Italian meal at some local hole-in-wall pizza place in downtown Gloucester which is quite popular with the locals. (I can't remember the name!)

Well, your lucky you didn't you didn't run into Bruce and his friends. They're a friendly bunch but be careful of whiplash. ;)

William

dehoopta
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I joined at the Level II membership. I got the badge, jersey, and protection. What are the other perks? I have heard some of you talk about discounts, etc, but I don' remember this. I also haven't received any invitations to events. Do I need to do something about this?

Bruce K
01-05-2006, 09:49 PM
If you order soft goods (jerseys, socks, etc.) from Serotta and identify yourself as an Owner's Club member, I believe you get 10% off.

You should have gotten the Owner's Club notice about the frame sale. You should also have noticed that Owner's Club members got free registration to Open House (some of us donated the registration to the DPF).

I believe there was something offered to Owner's Club members in the past from Ride Noho and also from Cyclissimo Classico (help me out here Bradford).

BK

deechee
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I didn't think twice about it. I was glad I got it the moment my friend trashed my old bike (which I was planning to sell), but even more thankful the moment *I* got hit by a car. The top tube and chainstay were dented, fork cracked and my wheels were taco'd. Luckily I came out fine and was able to start running again within a few weeks.

After extreme miscommunication between dealers, Serotta and UPS/customs I got my bike about 2 months later and it looks brand new. I can't believe that they only "replaced" the broken tubes. Its stunning. I will never think twice about getting/extending Serotta coverage. On the other hand, I will NEVER deal with UPS unless someone else is paying.

Serotta did a phenomenal job on the repairs.