PDA

View Full Version : Ti stem?

45K10
09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
I have never ridden with a Ti stem and I was thinking of getting a Moots stem to match my wife's Physclo X but I had a couple of questions.

-Feel wise is it comparable to a good aluminum stem? better or worse?
-Is a Ti stem on a Ti bike a little too much Ti both in the way of ascetics and function?

uber
09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I personally think a Moots stem/seatpost on a Moots frame look perfect. I personally cannot feel a significant difference between Ti, aluminum, or even carbon stems on my bikes. They are all great.

sevencyclist
09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
I have ridden with alloy stems and titanium stems, and I can't feel a difference. It is more about the bling than anything else. I do feel a difference between alloy bar and carbon bar for roadbiking FWIW.

wgp
09-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Ditto on the above - no discernible diff that I can feel, but I love the look of my Moots Ti stem and seatpost on my Vamoots!

Aaron O
09-20-2013, 05:31 AM
+3 - I couldn't tell my ti stem from aluminum without looking. I can tell a carbon stem if it has carbon bars, but not otherwise.

happycampyer
09-20-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm probably the last person to ask since I'm a total sucker for Moots' craftsmanship (with 5 RSL stems on bikes currently). Moots stems, and particularly the RSL stems, are jewels of craftsmanship. Functionally, they do what a good stem does, which is, hold your handlebars securely and without flex, and to otherwise not draw attention to itself.

If you go for the stem, it's hard not to go for the matching seatpost. The clamp mechanism of the cinchpost is a marvel. At a minimum, get the ti spacers to match the finish on the steerer.

slinkywizard
09-20-2013, 07:20 AM
I have ti stems on my seven's cause I like to look...I have never noticed any drawback or particular advantages over aluminum or carbon. I got them on ebay for a good price, would I pay the currents retail price for a stem from seven? Probably not...

45K10
09-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input!

wgp
09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
+1 on Happycamper's comment on the spacers - how could I forget those too??!! A seamless integration with the stems. What did the Billy Crystal character (Ricardo Mantelban) say on SNL - "it is better to look mahvelous than ...."

tuscanyswe
09-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Im gonna join the choir saying moots stem really is the icing on the cake on their frames. Looks great and i cant feel a difference either compared to an alu one. Billīs suggestion of going with ti spacers and the seat post is ofc a great one, tho spendy :) If you go for the stem get the spacers atleast it makes a big difference imo visually. Havent ridden the RSL stem but looks wise i prefer the open road stems without the cutout and the more centered placement of the mounting screws.

But installed a no-name older ti stem in 130 mm on a bike im building for my gf the other day and its really a noodle. A big difference! For her i think it wont matter at all but i wouldent want it near my bikes.

To much Ti??? it just gets better the more you ad!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6084/6155621349_51490c6f86_b.jpg

dogdriver
09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I did mine for no reason other than pure, unadulterated, gearheaded vanity. Can't feel any difference from the Thomson on there previously. Sure like the way it looks, though, and my bike guy got me a sweet deal from Moots.

jblande
09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Been tempted a few times to put a moots stem and post on my crisp ti 29er, but the price is too high. sure do look pretty though!!

buddybikes
09-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Enve seat clamps that firefly uses are real nice. FF makes a beautiful combo if you are shopping around.