PDA

View Full Version : Zancanato, Unplugged.

e-RICHIE
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Zanc-issimo is ready for his close-up, Mr. DeMille:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=492325&mode=linear

zanc - this is cool shet. keep up the great work imho cheers.

e-RICHIE©™®

eddief
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
with those so gifted. I love that shet.

William
01-05-2006, 05:06 AM
...where are my shop towels? <sniff>

William ;)

team_sheepshead
01-05-2006, 09:26 AM
as the pround poppa, i've got to try to post a couple of the pics. the rest are on the RBR link above.

the first one is of the fork blades in the mandrel, which zank uses to bend them to their proper shape. apparently he bends them cold using a large lever. note the wooden gauge in the background he uses to check the proper bend.

e-RICHIE
01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
as the pround poppa, i've got to try to post a couple of the pics. the rest are on the link.

it looks like a boy...

team_sheepshead
01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
A before-and-after series. In the first photo, Zank has melted the brass brazing material with an acetylene torch to join the dropouts to fork blades. He heats the steel to about 1700 degress. If the steel or brass are hotter, tiny holes can form in the brass.

The second photo shows Zank finally getting down to some real work. :-) Using mill files, half-round files and emery cloth, Zank has carved away the brazing to smooth the area between the blade and dropout.

team_sheepshead
01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Another before-and-after set. In the first photo, Zank has melted some brass brazing material on the fork blade. In the second photo, he has sculpted the brass into an artistic-looking point.

team_sheepshead
01-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Zank attempted to tell me (who got a C in high school metalshop) how he uses silver braze to mate the fork crown to the blades. In this photo, the light-colored pinstripe is actually the brazing material. It looks like he drew it with a pencil, but Zank told me how he holds the solid rod of brazing material in one spot and draws the silver around the joints with his torch.

I have to admit that these photos give me an incredible appreciation for the work that goes into a lugged steel frame. I'll never take it for granted again.

BumbleBeeDave
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
. . . he doesn’t bend the fork blades with his bare hands?!?!

I’m VERY disappointed! ;)

BBDave

Bill Bove
01-06-2006, 03:22 AM
it looks like a boy...

He looks like a very happy baby :D :D :D