PDA

View Full Version : Enve seatpost experiences?

jpw
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
If you have an Enve post would you care to express your considered opinion of its virtues?

blantonator
09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
If you have an Enve post would you care to express your considered opinion of its virtues?

I got one to match the fork on my spooky. It looks good and is pretty simple, but weight vs price, a Thomson is better. I did have it tilt forward once, but tightening up the bolt solved the problem. It also doesn't creak unlike every Thomson I've ever run. Did i mention it also looks the business.

jpw
09-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I got one to match the fork on my spooky. It looks good and is pretty simple, but weight vs price, a Thomson is better. I did have it tilt forward once, but tightening up the bolt solved the problem. It also doesn't creak unlike every Thomson I've ever run. Did i mention it also looks the business.

Thanks.

The clamp looks easier to work with than my PMP, which can be a fiddly thing to get right (but it does hold the rails nicely). Is the clamp hardware stainless steel do you know?

cfox
09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

I've hemmed and hawed about trying one, but my Thomson is so mindlessly good there is no reason to switch. Also, my Thomsons used to always click if I hit a pothole or seam in the road. I always tightened the rail clamp to 5nm, because it seemed plenty tight and the seat never slipped. One day I actually read the manual and saw that Thomson says to tighten it to 6.7nm. That seemed awful tight, but I tried it and haven't heard a single click or creak since.

DRZRM
09-18-2013, 12:33 PM
I generally avoid carbon seatposts...and stems, but I went with Enve seat and stem on my IF road bike as the frame came with the stem in my size. As a big guy (220 6'3") it has worked exactly as advertised. No slipping, no creaking, it all feels very solid. I periodically think about a switch to a Moots (my favorite seat post by far, old or new) but the matching stems are always pretty costly. If anyone wanted to swap a an Enve post/stem for a Moots set (120 or 130 stem) I'd be receptive (actually, I have a spare Moots post, so I'd really only have to swap the stem) but I'm actually quite happy with my current setup...I just worry about failure a bit.

zap
09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a 31.6 setback post on my Crumpton.

I like the clean simply lines and the fact that one can easily adjust saddle angle. Read the install instructions and use a torque wrench and tighten to Enve specs.

The post is also quite light when cut down to proper length.

The Enve is a top tier post.

CunegoFan
09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Great except for the absolutely hideous logo on it.

Joachim
09-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Great except for the absolutely hideous logo on it.

And there is a way around that..here is mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/8030182212/in/set-72157631636487072

gospastic
09-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I really don't like the clamping mechanism. It is hard to get the saddle perfectly centered left-to-right. I also don't like that the clamp says 8Nm on it. Feels like I'm going to crush the rails as I get that high. The bolt also starts to stick out the other end as I reach 8NM.

jpw
09-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I really don't like the clamping mechanism. It is hard to get the saddle perfectly centered left-to-right. I also don't like that the clamp says 8Nm on it. Feels like I'm going to crush the rails as I get that high. The bolt also starts to stick out the other end as I reach 8NM.

is that because the horizontal tightening bolt enters the clamping mechanism from one side, rather than it being of a symmetrical designs? my PMP tightening bolts are vertical and between the saddle rails. thanks.

cfox
09-18-2013, 01:39 PM

I think enve reccomends 12nm now! They were getting a lot of slippage complaints at 8nm. 12nm is a lot; I wonder at what torque you risk crushing seat rails?

jpw
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I think enve reccomends 12nm now! They were getting a lot of slippage complaints at 8nm. 12nm is a lot; I wonder at what torque you risk crushing seat rails?

my rails are hollow. 12nm would be too much i think.

kgreene10
09-18-2013, 01:45 PM
I recently startd using an Enve post with a carbon railed saddle. No issues so far.

uno-speedo
09-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I was afraid of over tightening too, and the nose of the saddle slipped a couple of times, but now I've cranked it down tighter and no problems since. I survived Paris-Roubaix too with no issues.

They have an installation video guide should you need it on their website.

zap
09-18-2013, 02:17 PM

As posted earlier, 8nm is not enough. It's more like 10-12nm.

No problems at 10nm (per my torque wrench) with my AX Lightness carbon saddle with carbon rails. AX Lightness instructions state up to 12nm.

There are some variables when it comes to saddle rail dims so that's why the bolt may stick out more with some saddles with thinner rails. You can always cut down the bolt a thread or two. There are also two saddle clamp assemblies-one regular and one for oversized saddle rails.

ptourkin
09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I recently startd using an Enve post with a carbon railed saddle. No issues so far.

Me too. Love it.

godfrey1112000
09-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Me too. Love it.

No problem no noise

Handle bars and sTem are very nice also

Liharvy
09-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Just swapped out my Thompson Elite for an Enve. Love the design and looks great.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
"Thomson is so mindlessly good."

Plus one, what bikes I don't have a Deda on, I have a Thomson (post and stem). Just works, but the aesthetics are a bit "industrial" for the likes of my rideable painting Master X Light, Mondonico etc.