PDA

View Full Version : CK 11sp conversion

kgreene10
09-18-2013, 11:13 AM
I've got a wonderful set of HED Belguims laced to CK R45 hubs. They are 10sp and I want to start moving over to 11sp. Please don't make this a discussion of whether 11sp is worth it, etc.

Unfortunately, the CK 11sp conversion kit is $258 plus the cost of a redish.
I bet I'm not the only one who thinks that's a bit pricey after having bought the really expensive CK hub in the first place. So, anyone know a cheaper way, short of selling the CK hub and rebuilding with somwthing less expensive?

EDS
09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I've got a wonderful set of HED Belguims laced to CK R45 hubs. They are 10sp and I want to start moving over to 11sp. Please don't make this a discussion of whether 11sp is worth it, etc.

Unfortunately, the CK 11sp conversion kit is $258 plus the cost of a redish.
I bet I'm not the only one who thinks that's a bit pricey after having bought the really expensive CK hub in the first place. So, anyone know a cheaper way, short of selling the CK hub and rebuilding with somwthing less expensive?

Can you get a campy freehub? That may also require a redish though. Then you could use that with a campy 11 speed cassette.

Lennard Zinn has a piece on velonews about how all the 11 speed road cassettes are interchangeable as far working with an 11 speed road group.

vqdriver
09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
well, the wheels you've got there are quite nice and desirable. i bet you could simply sell them and take that money to buy yourself an 11sp wheelset in comparable condition, be it king, dt, whatever, and the difference would be less than the cost of the conversion kit and redish.

vqdriver
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Can you get a campy freehub? That may also require a redish though. Then you could use that with a campy 11 speed cassette.

Lennard Zinn has a piece on velonews about how all the 11 speed road cassettes are interchangeable as far working with an 11 speed road group.

i ran my DA9000 with a campy cassette without issue.

jpw
09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
i ran my DA9000 with a campy cassette without issue.

why would one want to do that?

kgreene10
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM

That's a really interesting idea that hasn't occurred to me. Except that it just occurred to me that the R45 Campy hub is somehow different from the Shimano one I have. I'll look into it, but I seem to remember that the Campy version took an extra year or something because it was a pretty different design.

vqdriver
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM

didn't 'want' to really. but i didn't have an 11sp shimano compatible wheelset whereas i do have a nice 11sp campy compatible wheelset just sitting in the garage. others had done it with success so i took a flyer and it worked fine.
just a cost saving measure to be honest.

Gummee
09-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Embro had problems too (http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/online/disc-road-part-2)

I have a buddy with a buddy that has a machine shop in his garage. I think I'm going to see what it'd cost me to machine off the mm or so difference in the freehub bodies to go 11sp on all 10+ sets of wheels.

M

10-4
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
All you need is PHB761 (axle) and PHB762 (driveshell). With the King R45 hub tools you can pull your current bearings rather than buying new ones.

PHB764 is a complete conversion kit, and even then the retail on that is $229

oldpotatoe
09-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Cuz it's cheaper to swap the 10s shimano FH body to a Campagnolo compatible FH body, then use a Campagnolo 11s cogset, which will shift just fine with shimano/sram 11s 'systems'.

10-4
09-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Cuz it's cheaper to swap the 10s shimano FH body to a Campagnolo compatible FH body, then use a Campagnolo 11s cogset, which will shift just fine with shimano/sram 11s 'systems'.

Seems like the parts are the same price, to the dollar. Campy axle (PHB753) and Campy freehub body (PHB750) are $79 each. Same for the Shimano/SRAM 11sp counterparts.

Will the current 10-sp Shimano bearings he has work with an 11-sp Campy freehub and axle? I haven't tried that.