PDA

View Full Version : Wired vs ANT+ PowerTap

Lewis Moon
09-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Other than wires and age, are there any problems that will crop up in a wired PowerTap? Is there an ANT+ conversion? Can I only run the PowerTap head unit (I have a garmin 500). These are coming WAY down in price and I thought I'd take a look.

I presently own a PowerCal and really like the power data when training.

EDS
09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
You do have to use the powertap headunit, so no GPS unless you run the Garmin separately. I believe there was a wireless conversion kit offered at one point but it has not been available for a long time.

My wired powertap was solid for a long time, with minimum maintenance, but eventually had issued with the hub engaging (springs died so prawls would not engage) and cost to service did not seem worthwhile.

Lewis Moon
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
You do have to use the powertap headunit, so no GPS unless you run the Garmin separately. I believe there was a wireless conversion kit offered at one point but it has not been available for a long time.

My wired powertap was solid for a long time, with minimum maintenance, but eventually had issued with the hub engaging (springs died so prawls would not engage) and cost to service did not seem worthwhile.

So, otherwise, no issues with the actual power meter?

EDS
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
So, otherwise, no issues with the actual power meter?

No, it worked fine (though I like to think it severely underestimated my power) and it saw its fair share of rain, snow, etc. I did damage it in a crash once and had to get it fixed. That said, it has survived other crashes (all typical race pile-ups) without issue.

Lewis Moon
09-18-2013, 10:37 AM
No, it worked fine (though I like to think it severely underestimated my power) and it saw its fair share of rain, snow, etc. I did damage it in a crash once and had to get it fixed. That said, it has survived other crashes (all typical race pile-ups) without issue.

They always do....