PDA

View Full Version : 2013 World Championships - Florence, Italy. Game on!

#campyuserftw
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Team Time Trial - Sunday 9/22

TT - Tuesday 9/24 Women, Wednesday 9/25 Men

Road Race - Saturday 9/28 Women, Sunday 9/29 Men

Universal Sports Channel

Who you got???

:beer:

firerescuefin
09-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Fabian or Sagan....Money on Sagan

echappist
09-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Phil Gil ftw, Sagan and Piti Valverde. Normally the people who did the Vuelta should fare better, but i have the feeling that this year's Vuelta drained the GC contenders. Outside picks are Evans, Rui Costa, Ryder, and Dan Martin. Had Martin not crashed out, i'd have had him FTW, but you can't be sure how good his form will be. His cousin Nico Roche might be able to do something, too.

MattTuck
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Is the mascot still Pinocchio?

Shortsocks
09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Well.
Its in the Air. There are goods to a lot of people winning.

Sagan: That guy would be GREAT with a Rainbow Jersey. He would get SO much airplay crossing finish lines. And how cool would it be to see the WC doing wheelies across the finish line?

Fabian: That guy is a hard working SOB. Id like to see him crush because the Mrs's thinks hes a dreamboat, which would mean she MAY pay more attention while watching cycling with me...Well. She wouldnt have to keep asking which one Fabian is. Its the guy with the Rainbow Stripes. :butt:

Valverde: Hes such a cool guy. Just a nice chap. Prob not a chance in hell. But regardless.

Who else are the Favorites?

MattTuck
09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
In the words of Trey Anastasio, "Wash your face and drive me to Firenze"

http://toscana2013.cyber.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Gara-in-linea-uomini-elite.png

echappist
09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Valverde: Hes such a cool guy. Just a nice chap. Prob not a chance in hell. But regardless.

Who else are the Favorites?

piti valverde, the unrepentant ex-doper, as a nice chap?

Shortsocks
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
piti valverde, the unrepentant ex-doper, as a nice chap?

Not getting into the doping conversation at the moment. Eating soup. I wait for the doping banter for when I eat chili. Thanks anyway. :banana:

thegunner
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
i'd eat my pants if van avermaet won. i could see him finishing to sagan though, as per usual.

MattTuck
09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Video of Fiesole Climb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0NrGjVIzE)

Average gradient of 6% according to that video. Not sure that is steep enough to favor the climbers.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Cancellara in the road race. He's on incredible form right now and that climb doesn't seem too long or formidable.

echappist
09-18-2013, 12:19 AM
i'd eat my pants if van avermaet won. i could see him finishing to sagan though, as per usual.

potentially you could have all the A- riders ride away and the main favorites behind in a chase group. In which case, why not GvA if he were to end up in a group with Roche, Peter Velits, Fuglsang, S Sanchez, and Mollema?

soulspinner
09-18-2013, 04:51 AM
cancellara in the road race. He's on incredible form right now and that climb doesn't seem too long or formidable.

+1

cfox
09-18-2013, 05:19 AM
No way Cancellara wins, too hilly. Valverde finally wins one.

MattTuck
09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Course looks more like LBL (Which Cancellara and Sagan skipped this year) than Milan-San Remo (which Cancellara has won, and Sagan finished 2nd).

Although, I don't know enough about that Fiesole climb, so I'm open to be convinced. The video suggests 6% average, I don't know if that means several short steep ramps that might be similar to the bergs that Cancellara does well on, or a more sustained steady climb where lightness may play more of a factor. I unfortunately did not see enough of the vuelta to see how light Fabian is, but I will be pulling for him.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=ZLWRpf4vtjG8DM&tbnid=drpVqjmipk29_M:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steephill.tv%2Fclassics%2Fmil an-san-remo%2F&ei=RKI5Uvr8DvPl4AOpmoDYCg&psig=AFQjCNGgLzbGNpoNDP_YRqILudEia2t_NQ&ust=1379595204267871

http://inrng.com/medias/images/liegebastogneliegeprofile.png

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Tour-of-Flanders-Ronde-van-Vlaanderen-2013-profile.jpg

cfox
09-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Course looks more like LBL (Which Cancellara and Sagan skipped this year) than Milan-San Remo (which Cancellara has won, and Sagan finished 2nd).

this is correct... who cares that the Fiesole is "only" 6% for 4.5 km, they have to climb it 10 times! 45km of climbing 6% (avg.) to finish the race. For comparison, the Poggio at the end of San Remo is 4km at 3.7%, and they only climb it once. If they had to climb the Poggio 10 times at the end of San Remo, Fabian would've never won it.

I would be beyond shocked if Cancellara is anywhere near the front in this race. It seems to me the Spaniards finally have a course which suits them. They've got pure climbers and punchy climbers on the team which seems like a good combo.

laupsi
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
this is correct... who cares that the Fiesole is "only" 6% for 4.5 km, they have to climb it 10 times! 45km of climbing 6% (avg.) to finish the race. For comparison, the Poggio at the end of San Remo is 4km at 3.7%, and they only climb it once. If they had to climb the Poggio 10 times at the end of San Remo, Fabian would've never won it.

I would be beyond shocked if Cancellara is anywhere near the front in this race. It seems to me the Spaniards finally have a course which suits them. They've got pure climbers and punchy climbers on the team which seems like a good combo.

my sentiments exactly. 10x that climb will whittle the field down to a few likely strong climbers, not necessarily strong cyclists. I am relating this to Coors States in Philly, albeit the wall is steeper but overall it will have the same affect on the Fiesole given its length and its relative proximity to the finish.

#campyuserftw
09-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Nicolas Roche is 29 years old, lost some weight to be more competitive uphill, made his upper body tiny, still has legs made of steel, can sprint to a line, wore the red jersey at the Vuelta just days ago and took 5th overall in Spain. Roche was off by about 20 seconds last year (scroll down for complete results):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-2012/elite-men-road-race/results

He's ready. Dan Martin, who won LBL this past spring, took 4th at FW, 8th place at Suisse, took a stage at the TdF, seemed ripe for an attack at the World's as he has stated, "I want to be world champion." Martin was banged up and WD from Vuelta, but he's lining up in the Tour of Britain for a reason...

http://www.seginternational.com/individual/danmartin/news/id=102

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/nicolas-roche-confirms-career-best-5th-overall-after-magnificent-three-weeks-at-vuelta/

I'm ready.

Raffy
09-18-2013, 11:23 AM
my sentiments exactly. 10x that climb will whittle the field down to a few likely strong climbers, not necessarily strong cyclists.

Same here....10x "short" but still 6% climbs will thin down the field if I had to guess. I'd love Cancellara to win it but realistically I'm thinking Gilbert, Sagan or maybe even Nibali, though he might be beat up by the Vuelta still

firerescuefin
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM

You're way off on this....a climber will not win this course (perhaps a Froome who can lay down a move off the front/ great TTR). I will be shocked if FC is not right there. He certainly thinks this is a course suited for him. He is targeting the road race. He is leaner now than he has been all year. There was a reason he road the Vuelta....it wasn't so he could be ready for PR.

A Classics guy...Gilbert, Valverde, Sagan, Rodriguez, FC will win this. I know you mentioned the aforementioned Spanish guys.

cfox
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
You're way off on this....a climber will not win this course (perhaps a Froome who can lay down a move off the front/ great TTR). I will be shocked if FC is not right there. He certainly thinks this is a course suited for him. He is targeting the road race. He is leaner now than he has been all year. There was a reason he road the Vuelta....it wasn't so he could be ready for PR.

A Classics guy...Gilbert, Valverde, Sagan, Rodriguez, FC will win this. I know you mentioned the aforementioned Spanish guys.

I don't think a pure climber will win at all. I agree with the you with the guys in bold, but Sagan and FC are totally different animals. An LBL winner is not a Ronde winner these days. Sagan could win LBL some day, but at his weight, he cannot win it (his words). I just think 27 miles of climbing is too much for Sagan or FC. Who knows, that's why they have the race, maybe FC will make me look stupid (not difficult to do). I've been waiting for a super tough course like this since the 89 worlds, I can't wait to watch it!

firerescuefin
09-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Agreed :cool:

I don't think a pure climber will win at all. I agree with the you with the guys in bold, but Sagan and FC are totally different animals. An LBL winner is not a Ronde winner these days. Sagan could win LBL some day, but at his weight, he cannot win it (his words). I just think 27 miles of climbing is too much for Sagan or FC. Who knows, that's why they have the race, maybe FC will make me look stupid (not difficult to do). I've been waiting for a super tough course like this since the 89 worlds, I can't wait to watch it!

jpw
09-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I fancy that Nibali may have a chance. He didn't peak for the Vuelta and he has finished on the podium at MSR.

Sagan looked tired in Quebec, but super strong in Montreal. What's he on?

#campyuserftw
09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Agreed :cool:

[/B]

I hope it snows in Florence during the road race. One can hope.

Should be some serious fireworks over there. :banana:

Shortsocks
09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd LOVE to see Quintana win this, but the mountains need to be 7 miles longer and 10% steeper for him to have a chance.

I LOVE watching that guy ride. Such a joy to see a pure climber back in the race.

echappist
09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The 95 championship in Colombia is arguably harder, and 2009 was pretty hard as well.

Shortsocks
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
1995 was a GREAT year. Pantani, Indurain, Abraham Olano (even though he didn't do much as compared to the other two greats)...that was a tough mother of a course. Super great.

cfox
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Yes, 95 was great...with Olano demonstrating the superiority of tubulars once and for all!

zoid
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
my vote is for Cancellara in the road race as well. he seemed to be riding really strong in the vuelta beside Horner.

tv_vt
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
After seeing Sagan drop the climbers in Montreal last Sunday (17 laps, 2 climbs per lap), I can't imagine him not being up there. But he has a weak team for the Worlds - maybe that will favor the Spanish this time. By the way - what's Sagan on? He's on Youth. The wonder drug. With a supplement of Intense Motivation. He's still proving himself.

I'm sure there will be an Italian presence, too, though not sure who. Pozzato finished 5th or 6th in Montreal on that hilly course... Cunego also rode well.

Fabian, yeah, he'll be there. Course is like an Italian Flanders course. He'll come good, for sure.

#campyuserftw
09-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Roche wears green for Ireland.
He wore red in Spain.
Dan Martin or his dad will loan him yellow from his le Tour stage.
Roche needs just black and blue to make the world champion colors.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS: I think the women might have a killer road race to watch as well...

Shortsocks
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
This is a Pretty Good Team from Spain:

Spanish selection for the 2013 UCI Road World Championships:

Jonathan Castroviejo, Movistar (RR and TT)
Alberto Contador, Saxo-Tinkoff (RR)
Jose Herrada, Movistar (RR)
Egoi Martinez, Euskaltel-Euskadi (RR)
Daniel Moreno, Katusha (RR)
Joaquim Rodríguez, Katusha (RR)
Luis León Sánchez, Belkin (RR and TT)
Samuel Sánchez, Euskaltel (RR)
Alejandro Valverde, Movistar (RR)

Shortsocks
09-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Here are some more countries:

French selection for the 2013 UCI Road World Championships:

Romain Bardet, Ag2r La Mondiale (RR)
Warren Barguil, Argos-Shimano (RR)
Cyril Gautier, Europcar (RR)
Amaël Moinard, BMC Racing (RR)
Thibaut Pinot, FDJ.fr (RR)
Christophe Riblon, Ag2r La Mondiale (RR)
Anthony Roux, FDJ.fr (RR)
Arthur Vichot, FDJ.fr (RR)
Thomas Voeckler, Europcar (RR)
Sylvain Chavanel, Omega Pharma-Quick Step (ITT)
Jéremy Roy, FDJ.fr (ITT)

-------------------------------------------

German selection for the 2013 UCI Road World Championships:

Marcus Burghardt, BMC Racing (RR)
John Degenkolb, Argos-Shimano (RR)
Simon Geschke, Argos-Shimano (RR)
Paul Martens, Belkin (RR)
Dominik Nerz, BMC Racing (RR)
Fabian Wegmann, Garmin-Sharp (RR)
Tony Martin, Omega Pharma-Quick Step (TT)
Bert Grabsch, Omega Pharma-Quick Step (TT)
Patrick Gretsch, Argos-Shimano (TT)
Johannes Fröhlinger, Argos-Shimano (Alt.)
Christian Knees, Sky (Alt.)
Paul Voss, NetApp-Endura (Alt.)

echappist
09-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Roche wears green for Ireland.
He wore red in Spain.
Dan Martin or his dad will loan him yellow from his le Tour stage.
Roche needs just black and blue to make the world champion colors.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS: I think the women might have a killer road race to watch as well...

If Evie Stevens escapes, well she has a good chance.

Otherwise Vos will probably defend. Outsiders include the italian duo of Cantele and Guerdozo, maybe Armitstead, maybe Abbott

rustychisel
09-18-2013, 06:48 PM
mens = Valverde

weisan
09-20-2013, 06:43 AM
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/09/WATSON_00003315-008-320x213.jpg

54ny77
09-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Cancellara's new TT secret weapon revealed.

http://i.imgur.com/WZZU1YX.jpg

weisan
09-20-2013, 08:03 AM
"Everyone is talking about Via Salviati: it's hard but it's only a 90-second all-out effort. Let's see what happens in the race..."

Cancellara reveals he will marking defending world champion Philippe Gilbert very closely but does not consider fellow Classics riders Peter Sagan or Filippo Pozzato as a threat.

"I think I'll be up against Gilbert. He's only got one card to play and he's got to play it well," he said.

"Peter's raced in America and so I don’t think he'll have the distance in his legs. I'm convinced the Vuelta is the best preparation for the worlds. I did 16 stages full gas, full on."

"The Spanish riders could be good, if they ride together… I'm sure Nibali will have a great Worlds because he showed he's in super shape at the Vuelta. But it'll be very difficult for him to win. Pozzato? I don’t know what he can do. If I was him, I wouldn't even turn up."
-------------

Some harsh words for Pozzato from the Gladiator.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancellara-focused-on-the-road-race-at-florence-worlds

PQJ
09-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Contador would look great in rainbow stripes. If Fabian has ceramic bearings and the right lube in his in-bike motor, and if he's been careful with his dosing, he will probably be in the mix. Personally I'm in the ABF* camp, both for road race and tt

* anyone but Fabian.

#campyuserftw
09-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Irony. I start the thread and I find out I lost Universal Sports on my Verizon FiOS tv cable. No longer available FML. Here's the link for the races, which kick off tomorrow at 8:30am EST:

http://www.steephill.tv/road-cycling-world-championships/

http://universalsports.com/cycling/

DATE EVENT VIEWING INFO

Sept. 22 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Team Time Trial Women & Men Elite USN: TBD / Online: 8:30amET

Sept. 24 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Women’s Elite Individual Time Trial USN: TBD / Online: 9:00amET

Sept. 25 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Men’s Elite Individual Time Trial USN: TBD / Online: 7:15amET

Sept. 27 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Men Under 23 Road Race 4 USN: TBD / Online: 7:00amET

Sept. 28 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Women’s Elite Road Race USN: TBD / Online: 8:15amET

Sept. 29 UCI Road Cycling World Championships / Men’s Elite Road Race USN: TBD / Online: 8:00amET

Drmojo
09-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Spartacus!!

echappist
09-21-2013, 09:14 PM
and apparently Eurosport isn't covering this. Grr

Which means i'll have to resort to BBC, whose play-by-play commentator make Phil & Paul look like geniuses

#campyuserftw
09-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Only link that works for me, with volume off:

http://www.sportlemon.tv/20130921/vv523df2d4d3aa79.63642951-646822.html

#campyuserftw
09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
WOW!

PS: Download Google Chrome Hola! Unblocker...open YouTube...scroll down to bottom of YouTube, selected Germany as the country...and watched it on the UCI Channel, on YouTube, in high def, and in English.

echappist
09-22-2013, 10:09 AM
WOW!

PS: Download Google Chrome Hola! Unblocker...open YouTube...used Germany as the country...and watched it on the UCI Channel on YouTube in high def, and in english.
haha, grazie!

echappist
09-22-2013, 10:16 AM
wow, this is awesome. Thanks again for sharing. It also works for BBC, in case anyone's wondering

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for Eurosport Player (paid subscription), for which I usually need a VPN service.

enr1co
09-22-2013, 12:55 PM
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/09/WATSON_00003315-008-320x213.jpg

Yep, year of the odds on favorite- will also go with even money on the result looking like this pic -with maybe a couple of climbers in the final pack selection sprinting in vain.

Broid
09-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Am I the only one unclear about Cannondale's plans for Saga? Is he being groomed for a Grand Tour winner? Or is he slotted to be a Green Jersey competitor forever?Maybe a few wins here and there along the way? Is he going to compete for the GC?

firerescuefin
09-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Is he going to compete for the GC?

No.....but he will re-write the classics record books.