PDA

View Full Version : Ok to Race Cyclocross on a Fixed Gear Without Brakes?

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Is it USA Cycling legal to cyclocross race a fixed gear bike without brakes? I checked the rules on the usacycling.org website and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you for looking.

Cat3roadracer
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
This not legal. Two brakes needed for mass start events.

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
This not legal. Two brakes needed for mass start events.

That was sort of my thought. Guess I can toss 'em on.

fiamme red
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
No. Scroll down to the top of page 31:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/rules/2013-USAC-Rulebook-Chapter1.pdf

"For road, cyclo-cross and MTB races, only a bicycle with a freewheel and one working brake on each wheel shall be used, except as allowed elsewhere in these rules."

Mark McM
09-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Besides, how would you do a dismount if the pedals were always spinning?

ColonelJLloyd
09-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Have you ridden a CX course alone on your fixed gear yet?

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Besides, how would you do a dismount if the pedals were always spinning?

I would take my feet off the pedals. Same way everyone dismounts.

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Have you ridden a CX course alone on your fixed gear yet?

Yes I have. We have one here in town, Saratoga Springs.

eBAUMANN
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Ive seen it done...pretty hilarious but totally possible depending on the course.

Might be against the rules but sometimes the rules are ignored ever so slightly for SS fields...especially at non-USAC races.

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Ive seen it done...pretty hilarious but totally possible depending on the course.

Might be against the rules but sometimes the rules are ignored ever so slightly for SS fields...especially at non-USAC races.

So perhaps someone could race a fixed gear but it has to have brakes.

redir
09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
It would probably be a lot of fun to have a race like that but only if everyone else had the same equipment. You would be fine with just a front brake but then rules are rules. I've don TT's with just a front brake and no one said anything.

pakora
09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
non-USAC it don't make no never mind, at least around here (PACX). The way I've seen it is don't mention it until after the race, to brag (or make excuses).

I've done it and seen it done in the SS races, though only with brakes.

I'd be pretty bummed at a brakeless bike on a course with me but I don't know that I'd even notice, since I'd be doing my own thing.

eippo1
09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Actually, go to a cross race and watch how people dismount. You'd have to be lightning fast to do that on a fixed gear. Plus I'd be more than a bit worried about pedal strike at least for rocky and rooty NE courses. If you have a flip flop hub, I'd flip it.

Mark McM
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM

So ... with your feet off the pedals, you're able to hop off your bike into a full run at 15 mph without losing any momentum?

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
So ... with your feet off the pedals, you're able to hop off your bike into a full run at 15 mph without losing any momentum?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. How does someone "dismount" a bike and not take their feet off the pedals?

Mark McM
09-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. How does someone "dismount" a bike and not take their feet off the pedals?

Watch this "How-To" video for cyclocross dismounts:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/cyclocross/cyclocross-how-to-video-how-to-dismount_137831

Notice that the rider stands on the left pedal (while coasting) while he swings his right leg back and over the rear wheel, and then forward between the frame and left leg. This allows him to hop off the bike with his legs already in position to go directly into a run at speed. How would you do that if the cranks continued to turn?

eBAUMANN
09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
How would you do that if the cranks continued to turn?
With precise timing and ninja-like reflexes.

Racing CX brakeless/fixed is not done because its easy, or fast. Its done because its hard, a challenge, and it would score you endless beer hand-ups and adoration from the crowd.

And lets be honest, thats half of what SSCX is all about ;)

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Watch this "How-To" video for cyclocross dismounts:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/cyclocross/cyclocross-how-to-video-how-to-dismount_137831

Notice that the rider stands on the left pedal (while coasting) while he swings his right leg back and over the rear wheel, and then forward between the frame and left leg. This allows him to hop off the bike with his legs already in position to go directly into a run at speed. How would you do that if the cranks continued to turn?

How do turning cranks affect a dismount? Hop off your bike, start running, let the cranks spin.

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 04:03 PM
With precise timing and ninja-like reflexes.

Racing CX brakeless/fixed is not done because its easy, or fast. Its done because its hard, a challenge, and it would score you endless beer hand-ups and adoration from the crowd.

And lets be honest, thats half of what SSCX is all about ;)

Thank you! I agree 100%. :beer:

alessandro
09-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Apparently fixed dismounts can be done. I had no idea. Sheldon Brown on fixed CX:

If you want to race fixed gear cross, make sure you are comfortable with all sorts of flying dismounts and lots of off camber skidding stuff. Prepare to be utterly uncompetitive, but a crowd favorite.

4Rings6Stars
09-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Just let me know which race you decide to enter, I want to come and watch...:eek:

How do turning cranks affect a dismount? Hop off your bike, start running, let the cranks spin.

Watch some videos or better yet, a cyclocross race, and then try to do what they are doing on your fixed gear. You will then understand that it is incredibly difficult to do a dismount on a fixed gear while keeping any kind of speed.

SteveFrench
09-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Just let me know which race you decide to enter, I want to come and watch...:eek:

Watch some videos or better yet, a cyclocross race, and then try to do what they are doing on your fixed gear. You will then understand that it is incredibly difficult to do a dismount on a fixed gear while keeping any kind of speed.

Jeez I thought I have been racing cx for years but I guess my memory is incorrect. Thank you for your assistance.

4Rings6Stars
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Jeez I thought I have been racing cx for years but I guess my memory is incorrect. Thank you for your assistance.

Hey, not trying to give you a hard time, just that it is a lot harder than you are making it sound. I have seen guys try it and it is comical... If that is what you're after, then by all means, go for it.

fiamme red
09-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Go a step further and ride a unicycle. :)

Mark McM
09-17-2013, 04:23 PM

I think you're just trolling now, but anyway ...

The fasting way to dismount is not to "hop off your bike, start running" - the fastest way is to already be running before you hop off your bike. Standing on a (stationary) pedal allows you to get your legs into position and swinging in a running motion before your last foot departs the pedal. With a fixed gear, there is little opportunity to align your legs into the running motion before your feet hit the ground, so is sub-optimum and slower than with a freewheel bike.

And, if you are coordinated enough hop off the bike into a full run at speed, be prepared for the bruising on the right side of your torso from the pedals when the crank is still spinning as you shoulder the bike.

eBAUMANN
09-17-2013, 04:33 PM
seriously guys, brakeless fixed cx = FOR FUN/CHALLENGE

all i know is i will be high-fiving/beering anyone who dares undertake such a challenge this season in NECX.

Ti Designs
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
The fasting way to dismount is not to "hop off your bike, start running" - the fastest way is to already be running before you hop off your bike. Standing on a (stationary) pedal allows you to get your legs into position and swinging in a running motion before your last foot departs the pedal. With a fixed gear, there is little opportunity to align your legs into the running motion before your feet hit the ground, so is sub-optimum and slower than with a freewheel bike.

On a fixed gear the technique is to come in a bit faster, hop the bike, lock the leg on the swing side and skid the back tire. As you dismount the pdals will start turning again, which pretty much pushes you off the bike - it's a good idea to be getting your foot off the pedal before it comes to the top. I find the fixed gear to be an advantage in cross for the 5% of the time I happen to be in just the right gear. There are two down sides I see. First, running brakeless in a field full of riders with brakes. Cross riders are tougher than most road racers so maybe they woun't mind getting run over... Remounting is the other problem - wear shin guards, you have two moving targets that like to draw blood.

ptourkin
09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
We ran a fixed race at the San Diego stop of the SoCal Prestige Series last year. The rest of the day was ABR, not USAC but the fixed event was just for fun-- and it was (to watch.) Two laps of the full course, barriers and off-camber hillsides included. It can be done.

christian
09-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Apparently fixed dismounts can be done. I had no idea. Sheldon Brown on fixed CX:

That's not Sheldon. That quote is from Tarik Saleh.

nighthawk
09-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Back to the point of legal or not....... If the rules require you have brakes on your bike... It doesn't mean you have to use them. :)

redir
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
seriously guys, brakeless fixed cx = FOR FUN/CHALLENGE

all i know is i will be high-fiving/beering anyone who dares undertake such a challenge this season in NECX.

Yeah I think that's the point. I never would have believed it till I and had the pleasure of meeting and riding with some infamous Harrisonburg Virginia fixed gear mountain bikers. Seriously these guys were on my wheel going DOWN hill. I have no idea how they could be so good but they were. They were hoping logs and I mean BIG logs and tending rock gardens like it was nothing.

It's not my thing. I tried SS MTB and thought it was stupid. I like gears :D

zennmotion
09-17-2013, 07:50 PM

I dunno, maybe. Not to give you a hard time but the only fixed cross dismount I can muster has me jumping off the back right on to the rear wheel or some awkward variation thereof, and I have also ridden fixed 5x/week to commute, 4 years track racing, and 8 years cross racing, I couldn't do cross fixed unless it were a clown show. If your avatar is correct I find you at cat 4 mid-pack in one race last year, and mid pack at the same race this year. Put a bmx spinner cog and a couple of brakes on that thing and go blow their doors off. Cross is hard enough without unnecessary equipment limitations that only add to the frustrations of the riders trying to pass you as you corner slowly and become a hazard at jump off points. I salute your independent spirit and I love converted frankenbikes done on the cheap, but invest in a couple of brakes and a freewheel.

PJN
09-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I dunno, maybe. Not to give you a hard time but the only fixed cross dismount I can muster has me jumping off the back right on to the rear wheel or some awkward variation thereof, and I have also ridden fixed 5x/week to commute, 4 years track racing, and 8 years cross racing, I couldn't do cross fixed unless it were a clown show. If your avatar is correct I find you at cat 4 mid-pack in one race last year, and mid pack at the same race this year. Put a bmx spinner cog and a couple of brakes on that thing and go blow their doors off. Cross is hard enough without unnecessary equipment limitations that only add to the frustrations of the riders trying to pass you as you corner slowly and become a hazard at jump off points. I salute your independent spirit and I love converted frankenbikes done on the cheap, but invest in a couple of brakes and a freewheel.

We have a winner.

If you "race" a fixed gear'd bike you won't be. End of story.

alessandro
09-17-2013, 08:48 PM
That's not Sheldon. That quote is from Tarik Saleh.

Yeah, yeah. Guilty as charged. Proper attribution should be given to all sources--I for one should know. But who is Saleh? Sheldon Brown is still the man.

zennmotion
09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, yeah. Guilty as charged. Proper attribution should be given to all sources--I for one should know. But who is Saleh? Sheldon Brown is still the man.

Heh. Sheldon is indeed Da Man. But I'm not sure how much cross racing cred he had. But he was Da Man fer sher.