PDA

View Full Version : Horner (without suspicion)

axel23
09-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Here's a suggestion: Whenever we discuss a race winner, let's have two separate forums. The first can be filled with suspicions, doubts, evidence and counter-evidence, missed doping controls, past convictions, etc., etc.

A second forum can be dedicated to the rider and the race on their own merits. In other words, never mind whether we think he was clean or not, it's just about the tactics, the effort, and the results.

Ok, I know this would never satisfy the trolls, but I'm going to pretend anyway.

The attached picture is of Chris at his Gran Fondo in Bend. He talked about his tactics for the Vuelta, his gearing, and his hopes for victory. The race itself was spectacular and well-covered by Todd Gogulski (and Steve Schlanger).

The penultimate stage was among the most exciting I've watched. Nibali's astonishing attacks. Chris' patience and persistence. The climb into the mist and fog. The crazed fans. The 24% grade in the hairpins. This is what great racing looks like. Kudos all around.

dave thompson
09-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Yep, old guys rule!

45K10
09-17-2013, 12:31 PM
I am with you axel23.
Great race, great guy as well.

I have meet Chris Horner a couple of times in passing. He was very approachable, easy to talk with and I heard he loves In & Out Burger.

Congrats to Horner on a great win of what I think was the best, most exciting Grand Tour this year.

MattTuck
09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I wish I had half his aerobic capacity. The guy carried another guy up a mountain on his bike. Of all the guys in the professional ranks that I'd like to go for a ride with, it would be Chris Horner.

Nooch
09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
He was very approachable, easy to talk with and I heard he loves In & Out Burger.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in & out burger.....

bobswire
09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for this thread. Most times I avoid threads on racing for the very reason you started this. I couldn't agree more with your analysis that the Vuelta worked to his strengths. It was one of the most entertaining GT's in recent years and not just because Chris won.

laupsi
09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Cheers for Mr. Horner, glad he won! That stage Saturday however was great because of one determined Italian!!!

jeffreng58
09-17-2013, 12:59 PM
He looks different in person. He looks suspect. Shady looking character.
But yeah he raced well... Too well...

tiretrax
09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Suggestion of the Eon!

mcteague
09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Horner is the only rider whose interviews I actively seek out. Don't really follow the races that much these days but Chris has always been interesting. Maybe he doped and maybe he didn't. However, his history suggests someone who did not, had bad days and good days, rarely blew everyone off the road. Just a really smart rider who understood tactics and came in far more fresh than his competition this time. Plus, super motivated to prove something this year is seems. Thought I was never going to see him win a big one in Europe before his retirement.

Now, where will he go when he hangs up his wheels? Commentator or DS?

Tim

chismog
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Of all the guys in the professional ranks that I'd like to go for a ride with, it would be Chris Horner.

Yup, this!

siegfried08
09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I wish I had half his aerobic capacity. The guy carried another guy up a mountain on his bike. Of all the guys in the professional ranks that I'd like to go for a ride with, it would be Chris Horner.

Move out to San Diego. He's always around riding. Saw him back in February up on top of Mt. Soledad. Don't know what team he was riding with, but it was fairly sizable with a SRAM support vehicle. He was dead last up the hill in the rain. But smiling!

pitcrew
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=45K10;1420276]and I heard he loves In & Out Burger.QUOTE]

I can tell you that he eats McDonald's.....I had an intereting conversation with Horner one morning while waiting in line to order some Micky D's for breakfast :banana: He was in line right behind me.

bewheels
09-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks for starting the thread. I too do not read the other threads because of how they quickly devolve.

He rode a great tactical race and had the legs to pull it off. He is one of a small handful of American grand tour winners (hand size varies according to who counts). Well done!

Pelican
09-17-2013, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see Chris Horner signed up with a squad where he can teach and train the next generation of great American racers. Whether that's alongside them on the road, or from the team car, he should definitely stay involved in American cycling.

-Hong

firerescuefin
09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Big Horner Fan....as is Hans Christian Andersen :cool:

velotel
09-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Would have posted the following here but this post hadn't been started yet. So I will now.

Anyone who's been on this forum for awhile probably already knows I could care less about doping. Outside of that, for me all of you who are immediately calling into question his performance because you have some belief that obviously he and anyone else who wins a race has doped really need to get a grip on life. You ever hear of anything called innocent until....?

I thought he was terrific. First time I've ever seen a racer so obviously enjoying himself. Smiling while doing those insane climbs! There's a guy who likes riding a bike and likes racing. More power to him. A ray of brilliant light in a world too often buried in seriousness.

And his age, awesome. Just awesome. Rewriting the rules. Didn't watch it on tv because it wasn't on here and I'm not much of a watcher but whenever I run across vids of this race, I'll click on them just to see him and the others throwing all they have at each other. That was one terrific race.

I love these so-called experts saying his bar is too wide, his helmet too big. Who cares, works for him. Lots of people think wide bars are better. Apparently true for him. If I had money to toss away on stuff I'd probably try some wider bars just to see for myself. And some narrower bars. Even try a bigger helmet 'cept I don't wear one so that's out.

Here's to Horner, may he be the first in a long line of honest and entertaining riders enjoying what they do. And here's to the others who never said quit, gentlemen all of them. Hell of a race, hell of a spectacle.

The only reason I hope like hell he's clean is because if anything turns up, all the vultures just waiting to say I told you so and start clawing away at a great sport and some amazing riders will instantly leap to life. If no doping shows up, maybe this race will drive a stake through their silly hopes of being once again wonderfully self-righteous.

For me, whether they did or they didn't, great race. Thank you gentlemen.

weisan
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
http://sherkat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/hornerasscrackin.jpg

Joe Bob
09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
:banana:

Drmojo
09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Since I am also one, I think he rules, dope or no dope

axel23
09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Cool pic. What's the story?

http://sherkat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/hornerasscrackin.jpg

gasman
09-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Cool pic. What's the story?

2008 Cascade Cycling Classic outside of Bend, Oregon. The guy he was carrying crashed about 2K from the finish- Horner saw him and gave him a lift to the finish. The guy is a national caliber cross country skier. I don't remember his name.