PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brake hoods on 11 speed Campy

Veloo
09-17-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm new to Campy. So new it hasn't arrived yet.
I ordered a set of 11 speed G3 Hudz to replace the OEM brake hoods on the new Athena 11 speed.
Will I be able to replace the hoods if the brakes are already installed on the bars or is it much easier and recommended to remove and replace from "behind"?

On Ultegra 6600 and 6700 I was able to replace from the front with just an extra bit of effort.

Thanks

cdn_bacon
09-17-2013, 07:32 AM
they should slide on while the levers are attached. Just take caution lifting them over the horn. if you have a spray bottler with rubbing alcohol it'll help slide them off then the alcohol evaporates.

oldpotatoe
09-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm new to Campy. So new it hasn't arrived yet.
I ordered a set of 11 speed G3 Hudz to replace the OEM brake hoods on the new Athena 11 speed.
Will I be able to replace the hoods if the brakes are already installed on the bars or is it much easier and recommended to remove and replace from "behind"?

On Ultegra 6600 and 6700 I was able to replace from the front with just an extra bit of effort.

Thanks

MUCH easier with the levers on the handlebars..spray some rubbing alcohol or simple green in them, slip over.

Ti designs do you agree or is this too simple?

ntb1001
09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I tried the gum coloured Hudz on my Athena 11...then switched back...( didn't like the exposed black part of the lever in between the aluminum of the lever and the hood.)
I defiantly recommend leaving the levers on the bar...I use a long thin screwdriver to slide under the hood to assist in removing the hood....haven't had to use any kind of spray.

Lovetoclimb
09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Avoid HUDZ and buy stock Campy replacement models. They have a few color options and the fit and finish is much better IMO. Mounting them is much harder, but that is evidence of the tighter tolerances. I tore one in the past, so be careful not to pull too hard.

kokies
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNcZ6ibkb-4