PDA

View Full Version : Big George in '06? - Interesting Article

spiderlake
01-04-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3697

Does Hincapie have a chance of winning the TdF?? Great article from Pez.

oldguy00
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM

I would love to see hime focus on GC placement. It would be very interesting to see how high he can place. He's never gonna win Paris-Roubaix, he doesn't have that kind of sprint to win the big ones IMHO. He should take a run at the tour. Probably earn himself a lot more money through endorsements too, even if he doesn't win.

Roy E. Munson
01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
He's never gonna win Paris-Roubaix, he doesn't have that kind of sprint to win the big ones IMHO.

Huh?

oldguy00
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
He's never gonna win Paris-Roubaix, he doesn't have that kind of sprint to win the big ones IMHO.

Huh?

Come on Roy, you know he ain't gonna win it!

Argos
01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
I'd say his riding isn't his biggest obstacle [in P-R], neither is it his head. George's biggest obstacle is named Boonen, Tom Boonen.

I wish him the absolute best no matter what his schedule is this year though. I like George.

Dr. Doofus
01-04-2006, 09:49 AM

sure

everybody has a chance

but really?

no

sspielman
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I admire George for achieving "star" status in some circles....and earning a "star" salary while being a very good domestique. It is his best role and an admirable one.

Roy E. Munson
01-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Come on Roy, you know he ain't gonna win it!

I agree, but it's not because he doesn't have the sprint.

harlond
01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I agree, but it's not because he doesn't have the sprint.
Well, then, why can't he win it? If he can sprint some, as George can, and time trial well (for the late solo escape), as George can, and be in the hunt late in the race, as George as done for about 6 straight years, why can't he win Paris-Roubaix? If the answer is no killer instinct or no tactical savvy, I can see that, though after last year, I wonder if he hasn't got that turned around.

oldguy00
01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, then, why can't he win it? If he can sprint some, as George can, and time trial well (for the late solo escape), as George can, and be in the hunt late in the race, as George as done for about 6 straight years, why can't he win Paris-Roubaix? If the answer is no killer instinct or no tactical savvy, I can see that, though after last year, I wonder if he hasn't got that turned around.

I -think- he was implying that he doesn't have the -team-.
But even if he did have the team, I don't think he has the speed/acceleration of the other top sprinters.

Argos
01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
In regards to the Spring Classics, I'd say they've [disco] improved a fair amount.

I know it's "if's, coulda's and woulda's" but Roger had a broken thumb, and in those races, Lady Luck is a big player, too. Half your team can be wiped out in one spill, even if they are doing something right.

I think Devoler will be interesting to watch in the next few years, too. Boy's got cojones'.

As for the Tour, it'll be different if GH is a marked man, though I do not think he'll be too worrying, at first to the known contenders, unless they find after 2 weeks he's there.

I'd like to see him do nearly the same prep that got him into shape for this year, with a little more work on pace changing during climbs. If he's allowed to keep his nose out of the wind half as much as Lance was, I think we'll be impressed.

Win? long shot. Great show? I hope.

harlond
01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
I -think- he was implying that he doesn't have the -team-.
But even if he did have the team, I don't think he has the speed/acceleration of the other top sprinters.
Paris-Roubaix hardly ends in a field sprint every year. Or a sprint at all. And the list of winners doesn't appear to me to be all sprinters. As to the team, it includes Ekimov, Hammond, both podium finishers in PR, and some others that in past editions have finished well in PR, like van Heesjwik and Hoste, so I don't understand what's wrong with his team.

I'm not trying to quibble here. It seems to me George has everything a rider needs to win this race, which is why he has so often been in contention. The fact that he hasn't won it so far, despite usually contending, seems to me like good evidence that he can win it.

Which is why I wish he would focus on it this year instead of the TdF, which I don't think he can win.

shinomaster
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
George would have one last year...if Boonen got a flat. I think it would be cool to see him podium in the tour.

shaq-d
01-04-2006, 02:01 PM
does george hincapie have the spirit (not the sprint) or the heart for it? paris-roubaix, from what i've seen, is really about willpower and having the killer instinct. i don't think georgy has it. the tdf guys, meanwhile, are full of killers in guys like vino; and i would rank basso and ullrich as having more killer instinct too...

sd

Frustration
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
I think he lacks that last 2% of top end speed too, but it's all Bull***** speculation, as we've never seen him really go at it with the true fast men because he's always had to fit his targets around peaking in July.

Shame really, as I think it would have been great to see him on a Mapei / quick step or other teams that were more his style.

At the end of the day though he's made a hell of a living towing Lance around and then "doing what he could" at other times. I would love to see him as a true GC contender, but I think his mountain win was a lot like Eros Poli's... BIG man, well liked and not the best climber, but had a nice race on a day that had the gift of perfect timing. Postal wouldn't chase him and nobody else was going to foolishly burn energy attacking Lance, so George got a gift...

cw05
01-07-2006, 06:36 AM
I was at PR last year and almost got in a fight with a bunch of Belgians in a tent as we all crowded around a TV to watch the closing km's. They were all chanting "Boo-Neen" to which I would respond "Hin-ca-pie". Needless to say they were not amused. In my opinion, after Backstedt and Michelson were dropped, Flecha and Hincapie should have started taking turns attacking Boonen. Everyone knew they couldn't possibly beat the previous years winner on the Champs D'Elysees in a straight up sprint, so why even entertain the idea of all entering the velodrome in a group. Hincapies strategic instincts have improved alot, but still have a ways to go before he contends for the yellow.

cw05
01-07-2006, 06:37 AM
nm

Ray
01-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I was at PR last year and almost got in a fight with a bunch of Belgians in a tent as we all crowded around a TV to watch the closing km's. They were all chanting "Boo-Neen" to which I would respond "Hin-ca-pie". Needless to say they were not amused. In my opinion, after Backstedt and Michelson were dropped, Flecha and Hincapie should have started taking turns attacking Boonen. Everyone knew they couldn't possibly beat the previous years winner on the Champs D'Ellyses in a straight up sprint, so why even entertain the idea of all entering the velodrome in a group. Hincapies strategic instincts have improved alot, but still have a ways to go before he contends for the yellow.
I think it was pretty clear that George and Flecha were at the limit riding with Boonen once it was down to the three of them. The pace was so insanely high that nobody COULD attack. I think I saw one or both of them quoted to his effect after the race. I think George mentioned that he did try to attack a couple of times but could only raise the pace one or two mph and Boonen easily followed. He may have had strategic problems once they got close to and into the velodrome, but I don't think there was much they could have done before that.

-Ray