PDA

View Full Version : ProBikeKit shipping

LegendRider
09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
I've been buying from ProBikeKit for years - mostly tires. Despite numerous stories of quick shipping, it's always been slow for me. Not slow enough to stop doing business with them, but a little annoying.

I ordered a single tire on August 17 which just arrived today. Strangely it was shipped from Sweden AND it was opened by customs. Any ideas why the shipment originated in Sweden? It's certainly not a low-cost environment!

bikeridah
09-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I had a similar experience. Took 4 weeks to deliver shoes which originated in the UK. Next time, I'll pay the extra for expedited shipping.

buldogge
09-16-2013, 02:29 PM
So weird...I just had the same exact experience...same order date, everything.

This is the first time I have ever had slow service from the UK. A package from Ribble was lost once...but...they promptly replaced the items.

The Malmo, Sweden thing is really odd...if they added a Euro distribution point/drop-ship distributor...why way north like that???

No biggie on this particular order...but...still very odd.

-Mark

I've been buying from ProBikeKit for years - mostly tires. Despite numerous stories of quick shipping, it's always been slow for me. Not slow enough to stop doing business with them, but a little annoying.

I ordered a single tire on August 17 which just arrived today. Strangely it was shipped from Sweden AND it was opened by customs. Any ideas why the shipment originated in Sweden? It's certainly not a low-cost environment!

moose8
09-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I bought a cassette August 29th and it arrived Sept 13th. The shipping box was beat up and also seems to have gone via Sweden but the contents were fine.

laupsi
09-16-2013, 02:32 PM
use your LBS, it's worth the additional cost

bluto
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Reasons #132, and #127 respectively to use LBS.

BumbleBeeDave
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
. . . and got the "order despatched (sic)" email yesterday. I've had things take over a week to get to me via regular shiping from them before, but never any problems with condition of the package or merchandise. But I'm on the east coast, so shorter distance.

Many times I've gotten stuff from them in 2-3 days. But just to be safe I never wait till the last minute to order tires.

Perhaps your orders were shipped on the Costa Concordia? .. . :rolleyes:

BBD

christian
09-16-2013, 03:06 PM
City of Parks!

zmudshark
09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
My understanding is PBK changed ownership awhile ago.

MerckxMad
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM
I ordered a chain a month ago, and just received it.

buldogge
09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
zmud is right... Apparently, PBK is owned by 'The Hut' group and capitalized by 'River Island', a UK fashion brand...since the beginning of 2013.

Doesn't explain the latest shipping...and I've ordered a couple other times in 2013 with no issues.

???

-Mark

pakora
09-16-2013, 03:34 PM
The last time I got something from them it hadn't arrived by the maximum time they ask you to wait before filing a claim (6 or 8 weeks?) and the day that I did I received a plastic bag from the USPS with my two saddles and the invoice.

Wasn't their fault I think :P

One of the other English ones blew me away recently - ordered on a Sunday evening, delivered on Tuesday morning. With free shipping, and one of the products (a chain) upgraded to a way more expensive version because they were out of the one I ordered.

That gave me the willies a bit, in the sense that heh this is what we're melting ice caps for.

zoid
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Probike Kit and Wiggle are out for myself.

Probikekit changed ownership awhile ago and i find that their shipping is long and not the best.

Wiggle has switched to DHL and the import fees alone from DHL still leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I have yet to try chainreaction

rice rocket
09-16-2013, 03:51 PM
PBK prices have been dismal since the ownership changed hands. Maybe still worth it for some tires, which they sneak out of the factory somehow, but the cheap drivetrain parts are long gone.

buldogge
09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
+100, definitely true...unless there is a sale (TdF time) and a decent discount code (seem to need larger orders now, $250+) PBK can't/won't compete with Shinybikes and Ribble on component prices.

-Mark

PBK prices have been dismal since the ownership changed hands. Maybe still worth it for some tires, which they sneak out of the factory somehow, but the cheap drivetrain parts are long gone.

zmudshark
09-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Ribble & ShinyBikes for me. Shinybikes uses 3 day express shipping, comes via the Post Office, so no UPS/FDX/DHL rip off brokerage fees. Ribble has free shipping deals from time to time. Never an issue with either of them.

marinoni62
09-16-2013, 04:25 PM
I recently gotten an email from Ribble that they lowered that minimum purchase to $100 or so. Makes shopping so much more fun.

jmoore
09-16-2013, 05:14 PM
The Uvex helmet I bought from PBK shipped in two days and was returned as "undeliverable address" a month later. They reshipped to the exact same address the next day and it arrived three weeks later. So 7 weeks from UK -> Dallas.

That was my last order with PBK.

zmudshark
09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Jason, the important thing is, did you ever find some pimping orange shoes?

Rubeboy
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I just had the same thing happen with PBK.
Ordered on 8/21 and the items just arrived today.
They used to deliver to me within a week ( in Ca. ).
This is the second order in a row with PBK that has been less than ideal.
Last time customer service was a joke and they dropped the ball, this time poor and confusing communication.
Time to move on to another store.

chengher87
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM
But that also doesn't mean that I'll stop ordering from them (some prices you just can't beat). You definitely shouldn't order anything overseas that you need on a timely basis. I order stuff that I may need in the future and if I don't need them right away, they are there for a rainy day and I got them at a good price. Go LBS or go to Nashbar (good prices, still iffy shipping sometimes) for a quick fix if you need it.

You should have tapered expectations. Customs can be a complicated barrier to overcome with the current situation of the world. I don't mind things being a little late, IF they follow protocol and prevent more illegal contraband shipping overseas.

wasfast
09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I've pretty much given up on PBK this year after checking for multiple items that A) weren't any lower price, or B) no longer carried by them. I, like many others, has had great success with them prior.

Chain Reaction has done an excellent job to date and has had very good prices on things I've ordered. Inventory also seems good.

There was a story about CR I read recently. They are surprisingly a very large outfit.

Llewellyn
09-16-2013, 08:58 PM
I've pretty much given up on PBK this year after checking for multiple items that A) weren't any lower price, or B) no longer carried by them. I, like many others, has had great success with them prior.

Chain Reaction has done an excellent job to date and has had very good prices on things I've ordered. Inventory also seems good.

This has been my experience as well. Lots of things not in stock, pricing no longer competitive etc - so I don't bother any more.

Much better outfits out there these days

jischr
09-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I ordered a pair of tires and tubes with free shipping on the 15th. PBK came back with a post order delivery date of Oct 4th. They arrived today via Sweden. Two weeks is much more palatable the stated three weeks. But I won't order again unless I can get it in a week and not pay an obscene shipping cost.

bironi
09-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Similar experience very recently with tires. They were over the 30 day delivery claim period, but showed up shortly thereafter with Swedish post mark. Package and product were fine. Things have changed due to ownership change I assume. I never had slow service previously. I'll have to try one of the other sources recommended here.

Keith A
09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
So who bought them? In the past, I was always surprised how quickly I got my packages from across the pond. But it sounds like this isn't the situation anymore.

Edit: To answer my own question, it was "The Hut".

oldpotatoe
09-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I just had the same thing happen with PBK.
Ordered on 8/21 and the items just arrived today.
They used to deliver to me within a week ( in Ca. ).
This is the second order in a row with PBK that has been less than ideal.
Last time customer service was a joke and they dropped the ball, this time poor and confusing communication.
Time to move on to another store.

any bike shops in oakland? Just asking...

fogrider
09-28-2013, 11:00 PM

yeah, the flea market.

Rubeboy
09-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Yes! Two great ones are within a mile of my house that I go to all the time for purchases and I have talked them up on this forum in the past. Why do you ask?
Are you in need of a good shop with tactful owners/mechanics?

BryanE
09-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Two weeks to get a saddle to me last month.
Adequate time.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Yes! Two great ones are within a mile of my house that I go to all the time for purchases and I have talked them up on this forum in the past. Why do you ask?
Are you in need of a good shop with tactful owners/mechanics?

You mentioned, 'time for a new store'...

Oh please, just asking. I marvel at shipping threads that talk about trying to get tires and such from thousands of miles away and sometimes wonder why it takes a couple of weeks. I get the wholesale pricing gig from these places but like saying aluminum chainring bolts are 'heavier than steel', they are but steel CR bolts aren't 'heavy'.

RuleNumber5
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I wish I read through this thread before pulling a trigger on some base layers...

LegendRider
05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Has anyone ordered from ProBikeKit recently? Have shipping times improved?

buldogge
05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Shipping was a little bit better last time I ordered…still close to 3 weeks though.

On the other hand, Ribble was ordered on Monday early AM CST and arrived on Friday.

-Mark in St. Louis

Has anyone ordered from ProBikeKit recently? Have shipping times improved?

grailedmund
05-01-2014, 09:06 AM
slow experience for me as well!

OtayBW
05-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I order 4 pair of those Michelin Pro 4s they had on sale a few months ago. Great price; shipping so slow I would not repeat.

RonW87
02-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Dredging up this thread just to share the following experience ordering from PBK to ship to Toronto. PBK uses a company called EZ Clear as a broker:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
deda handlebar tape black $9.50
al pbk formula 1.0 jacket - l $78.87

ORDER SUMMARY
Sender Name : The Hut Group
Parcel Code : xxx

Admin Fee $12.00
GST/HST on Admin Fee $1.56
Duties $14.03
Customs Tax $13.32
Disbursement Fee $1.63
Total $42.54 CAD

So $42 in duties, admin, disbursement, etc. on an $88 order. I'm fine with the $14 in duties and maybe $10 more for admin. I think that's what Canada Post charges. But the rest is a bit much.

Veloo
02-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Wow. Was that using their regular shipping of $7.99 for under $80?

Dredging up this thread just to share the following experience ordering from PBK to ship to Toronto. PBK uses a company called EZ Clear as a broker:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
deda handlebar tape black $9.50
al pbk formula 1.0 jacket - l $78.87

ORDER SUMMARY
Sender Name : The Hut Group
Parcel Code : xxx

Admin Fee $12.00
GST/HST on Admin Fee $1.56
Duties $14.03
Customs Tax $13.32
Disbursement Fee $1.63
Total $42.54 CAD

So $42 in duties, admin, disbursement, etc. on an $88 order. I'm fine with the $14 in duties and maybe $10 more for admin. I think that's what Canada Post charges. But the rest is a bit much.

RonW87
02-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Wow. Was that using their regular shipping of $7.99 for under $80?

"Free" shipping. :mad:

Hindmost
02-21-2018, 04:54 PM
That's nuts! Is that a Canada only thing? How are all the extras charged and subsequently paid for?

zzy
02-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Canada Customs will always ding you for shipments over $50. It's a fact of life. That $12 brokerage fee is nasty tho. I'd refuse it and have it sent back.

I just ordered from them and it was shipped out in 8 hours. They estimate 1-2 weeks until delivery - we'll see when it arrives. I also ordered a freehub from Taiwan with the same estimate. It's a east/west race to see which gets here first.

dddd
02-21-2018, 05:18 PM
I and a friend both ordered 10s 12-30t Ultegra cassettes from PBK back in early December, as part of a chain+casette combo offer, and we added items to get free shipping.

The low combo price was an enticement to place an order with them, but turned out to be something akin to a bait-and-switch fraud.

PBK shipped the chain within two weeks in both cases in a big box, which included a shipping list that indicated both chain and cassette were included. An email sent to each of us also stated that chain and cassette had shipped!

I went to all the trouble of sending photos of the box before they admitted that there never was a cassette put in the box! A lot of wasted time with their site's communication links, and of course the agitation of having to claim a breached package.

And later, after a couple more promised redelivery dates had long passed, I called the credit card company and asked for a full refund of the charged amount since the chain+cassette was quoted at a single price.
I just got a letter from Chase claiming "their investigation had found" that PBK had made the items available for pickup by me, and that they had never agreed to ship them!
So I was only refunded their stated value of $48 for the cassette and am stuck with the 10s chain at a not-so-good price.
BTW, it was Chase who originally suggested that I claim a refund on the entire cost of the order which was a little over $100. But Chase then later sided with PBK and apparently accepted their lies as facts, then accepted their value which was an itemized price that I had never agreed to pay.

No more PBK orders from me, that's for sure. My friend has also made a claim on his purchase as he was given the same lies about both items having been shipped when they hadn't, and subsequent delays, but with the full charge having been made to his cc before any items shipped.

hmai18
02-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Order placed Feb 6 for six pairs of Vittoria CX tires. $259 CDN total value.

Arrived Feb 20 to Vancouver, BC.

$29.83 in brokerage from this stupid HUT Group. Now that I know they're using a private broker to clear customs, I'll be avoiding them in the future.

I'm generally not in a big hurry for online orders and was fine with waiting a few weeks and rolling the dice with whether Canada Post charges duties/taxes.

Veloo
02-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Not quite an apples to apples comparison as this was a purchase from Competitive Cyclist. I've been tracking my orders lately and I've only been hit with charges about 20-30% of the time.
This came via Canada Post.
Item Value 64.83
17% Duty 11.02
13% GST 9.86
Handling Fee 9.95
Total fees 30.83

RonW87
02-22-2018, 12:23 PM
$29.83 in brokerage from this stupid HUT Group. Now that I know they're using a private broker to clear customs, I'll be avoiding them in the future.

Hut group owns PBK. EZ Clear is the broker (at least in my case). But yes, the dealbreaker is whether or not they use a private broker.

RonW87
02-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Reply to me from PBK after I complained about the brokerage fees etc.:

Sent by: Pro Bike Kit (Canada), 22 February 2018, 9:22
Hello Ron,

Thank you for getting in touch about the delivery of the order.

We recently changed our delivery methods to Canada in an effort to streamline the customs and delivery process but where unaware of the costs of this method. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

After feedback regarding this we have since reverted the delivery method back to Canada Post who will be taking care of future parcels in case you would like to place another order on the site.

Kind regards,

Edmund

ProBikeKit Customer Service Team

Veloo
02-22-2018, 01:18 PM
So it wasn't Canada Post that delivered to your door? Which carrier was it?

Hello Ron,

We recently changed our delivery methods to Canada in an effort to streamline the customs and delivery process but where unaware of the costs of this method. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

After feedback regarding this we have since reverted the delivery method back to Canada Post who will be taking care of future parcels in case you would like to place another order on the site.

Kind regards,

Edmund

hmai18
02-22-2018, 01:37 PM
CanadaPost should still be the carrier for delivery (at least it was in my case).

RonW87
02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
CanadaPost should still be the carrier for delivery (at least it was in my case).

Yes, carrier is still Canada Post.

rousseau
02-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Hello Ron,

Kind regards,

Edmund

Really cool that they've taken your feedback to heart on this.

In my experience of ordering from PBK, Ribble and Wiggle it's always been hit and miss when it comes to getting dinged at the door with customs fees. My last order from Ribble in December came to $188 with shipping, and the package showed up in my community mailbox, no extra customs fees required.

Who can truly know the inscrutable ways of Canada Post?

jemoryl
02-22-2018, 05:49 PM
My sympathies to our Canadian neighbors - the customs people in your country are a lot more strict than here in the US. Why doesn't NAFTA apply to US-Canada shipments?

Just thought I would put in a good word for Wiggle and the free shipping they provided for a wheelset I recently purchased. Immediate shipping, with tracking - it didn't seem to be Royal Mail but some sort of courier service, so I was a bit worried. In the end, it was transferred to the USPS for delivery to me, no fees or customs, with a total time of something like 6 days. The tracking was interesting in that it even cited a British Airways flight from Gatwick to JFK!

RonW87
02-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Why doesn't NAFTA apply to US-Canada shipments?

Rules of origin. Doesn't matter where goods are being shipped from. Matters where they are made.

oldguy00
02-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Pretty sure some of you (not all of you) are confusing 'import tax' vs 'duty' vs 'brokerage'.

There are no brokerage fees with Canada Post, only with the couriers (UPS, FEDEX, UPS etc). That said, Canada Post -does- have a fixed handling/inspection fee, which I think is 10-15 bucks.

For items arriving via Canada Post:

If Canada Customs decides to look at your pack, you will at very least be charged the handling/inspection fee, and import tax on the declared value of the goods. The import tax is basically your provincial sales tax.
If Canada Customs further decides that your item is subject to 'duty', you will be charged whatever the duty rate is for the type of item and country of origin. Duty rates vary quite a bit. I've rarely been charged duty on any cycling goods...

For items arriving via courier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL):

Pretty much the same as Canada Post, except:
1. brokerage fee which is likely higher than Canada Post's handling fee
2. Essentially guaranteed that your pack -will- be subject to all these charges, whereas with Canada Post, its hit or miss, I've had packs worth hundreds of dollars show up in my mailbox with no charges, not inspected, when arriving via Canada Post..

jemoryl
02-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Rules of origin. Doesn't matter where goods are being shipped from. Matters where they are made.

So if a Canadian orders a Chris King headset and some White Industries hubs from a US vendor, the customs officials will be clued in enough to waive the duty?

oldguy00
02-27-2018, 08:28 AM
So if a Canadian orders a Chris King headset and some White Industries hubs from a US vendor, the customs officials will be clued in enough to waive the duty?

First, its not only country of origin, its also what the item is. Some items are not subject to duty no matter where they are from.

In 25 years of mailorder from various countries -into- Canada, the only items I've ever been charged duty on were one frameset, and some clothing.

Clothing, tobacco and alcohol are the big/common duty targets.

zzy
02-27-2018, 02:54 PM
My East/West race was a tie - both boxes arrived today. My PBK order got here in 6 days (2 of which were weekend days). Everything is in the original OEM box and I'm psyched to try my $35 Fabric saddle.

R3awak3n
02-27-2018, 04:17 PM
My East/West race was a tie - both boxes arrived today. My PBK order got here in 6 days (2 of which were weekend days). Everything is in the original OEM box and I'm psyched to try my $35 Fabric saddle.

best saddle ever, let me know what you think :O)

RonW87
02-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Pretty sure some of you (not all of you) are confusing 'import tax' vs 'duty' vs 'brokerage'.

There are no brokerage fees with Canada Post, only with the couriers (UPS, FEDEX, UPS etc). That said, Canada Post -does- have a fixed handling/inspection fee, which I think is 10-15 bucks.

For items arriving via Canada Post:

If Canada Customs decides to look at your pack, you will at very least be charged the handling/inspection fee, and import tax on the declared value of the goods. The import tax is basically your provincial sales tax.
If Canada Customs further decides that your item is subject to 'duty', you will be charged whatever the duty rate is for the type of item and country of origin. Duty rates vary quite a bit. I've rarely been charged duty on any cycling goods...

For items arriving via courier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL):

Pretty much the same as Canada Post, except:
1. brokerage fee which is likely higher than Canada Post's handling fee
2. Essentially guaranteed that your pack -will- be subject to all these charges, whereas with Canada Post, its hit or miss, I've had packs worth hundreds of dollars show up in my mailbox with no charges, not inspected, when arriving via Canada Post..

Thanks. This is correct. My issue with PBK was the brokerage fees, not duties/tax which, as noted, you pay even when delivery is with Canada Post.

By the way, in addition to going back to the old way of delivery (presumably Royal Mail?), PBK agreed to refund the brokerage fees to me. So good on them.

hmai18
02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
PBK agreed to refund the brokerage fees to me. So good on them.

Same here after writing to customer service. If you were dinged by surprise brokerage because of EZClear, reach out to PBK.