PDA

View Full Version : FedEx to France?

kenth
01-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm ready to sign up for a Velo Vacations trip to France this summer, but the thought of hauling my bike through a few airports and train stations is a bit daunting, and I'm sure, not cheap. I can rent a bike, but I'd sure prefer my Serotta. Has anyone successfully shipped a bike overseas, via FedEx or similar? I do that routinely now on domestic trips - it's cheaper than the airline fees and a lot more convenient, but overseas seems to be a lot more expensive.

Thanks,
Kent

ergott
01-04-2006, 09:38 AM
If you know the dimensions and weight then get a quote online. I bet it is way too expensive. Anyone try USPS? If it fits their max dimensions, they are way cheaper overseas.

JasonF
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I have purchased several bikes from Europe, all shipped via Fedex. Each package arrived relatively unscathed, and I'm sure you would do a much better packing job since you know it's your own bike.

You can get quotes for their freight service online, or better yet, call a customer service rep and explain your situation. The on-line quoted fees for express freight service (1-2 business days) was in the neighborhood of $250. The actual charge was about half that when the fee hit my credit card.

I know some people have had mixed experiences with Fedex, but I have had nothing but good luck with them. Case in point, I sent a bonus check to a business partner a couple of weeks ago from my office in Princeton NJ to our other office in midtown Manhattan. The NYC office is in the MetLife building, which has strict security due to its proximity to Grand Central Station. To make a long story short, the envelope got mixed up in security and I rattled enough cages so that 3 Fedex employees dropped everything to track down the package's location in the bowels of an office building. Great service, if you ask me.

davep
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I looked into this when I went to France a couple years ago. I don't remember the cost but it was pretty expensive, and even more expensive to send it back. I think total cost was somewhere north of $500. And you have to deal with customs on both ends, possibly pay duty unless you get a customs broker that can explain that you are not importing the bike.

Airlines do not charge for bikes on international flights, although you may get charged (probably will) if you have a domestic leg.

Serotta PETE
01-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Kenth, when I went to italy I took my bike. You are allowed two bags and the soft shell bag with bike and what ever else I could fit in it was one on my bags. There is no cost - (unlike non international flights.)

You check the luggage and if you plan it right on flights, you just go thru customs once in Europe and once on return to US>

Good luck.

If you choose to rent a bike you should take your pedals and if seat

sg8357
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I tried to UPS/Store some evening clothes to a hotel in France,
UPS/Store pooched the customs docs, so no delivery. UPS
then wanted to charge $140 to ship them back to the
US. UPS/Stores are not UPS, UPS does not take responsibility
for UPS/Store shipments, even though UPS was the one who told
the UPS/Store employee how to do the customs paperwork.
The hotel was sympathetic and let us eat dinner in casual clothes.

<http://www.gerardboyer.com/>
As M. Michelin says, worth a detour.

Foreign Flag carriers do not charge for a bike usually, US carriers
usually do, I have had Delta forget to charge sometimes.
AustrianAir carried the bikes unboxed for no charge, arrived undamaged.

Scott G.