PDA

View Full Version : wheel conversion...

spokelacer
09-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I have been considering converting a great 90's tandem from 26" to 700c. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Oh, for your consideration: Ibis Cousin It. 26", more than enough room and would include a new 700c fork.
I already know about possible rim brake problems on the rear(front is a disk).

christian
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
That'd end up with a high bb for a tandem. Why would you want to do this?

spokelacer
09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
The tandem is an older MTB. Beautifully hand made(or I would just sell it and buy a dedicated road tandem)
The fork on it now was a cheap dirt jumper sold to me by MTB tandems, if I upgrade it, it will drop the front end 40mm or more. That is a good thing.

This tandem is of the older geometries that had long chain stays and gentle handling. The 700c's might soften the ride and speed it up just a bit. Not to mention give me more options in the tire category(it is only on the road these days).
In a perfect world I would convert to 650b but there are only 2 or 3 narrow options.
If I am being stupid feel free to say it. At this point it is mostly research. Right now, the rear rides a bit low(due to the 1.25" tires) and the front is very high due to the silly fork. Yes, I will buy a new fork(probably a Wound Up but I am open to suggestions) but then I have to consider size and that means possible time for a rim size change.