PDA

View Full Version : Can I save Dough?

Andreu
03-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Can anybody help with this question of tax/imports/strength of currency question if I was to buy a Serotta (Legend, for example):..I can but dream)

would I need to spend extra monies for VAT on an american purchase and do all EU products now become exempt of this tax in Spain ?
And would it be cheaper to buy in US (neglecting the fact that I have spent a bundle of dosh on flights to get there!)

(Thanks Smiley - Captain for asking)

A:):)

jpw
03-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm not familiar with the local Spanish tax regime, but i think you might have to pay Spanish VAT on the currency converted price of the frame ($/Euro) and then whatever import duty is attracted by a bicycle imported in to Spain. This would be a compound calculation of the two taxes. Add shipping and insurance and the total will still be less than buying from a Euro dealer in France or Germany or England. The $ is quite weak at the moment due to the Presidential election coming later this year. I think the Euro has appreciated by 20% in the last 6 months. Now is a good time to self-import. You could fly over and return with your frame as abuilt bike. You may be able to get past customs in this way. Don't carry receipts of purchase with you though. Post them back home before you leave. Better still, travel to the US with a really old frame and get some documentation to prove you took 'a' frame to the US. Better still, as you live in Spain, a country without a Serotta dealer, get Serotta to send you some decals and stick them on the really old frame. Or, make some decals. You have to be creative.
I know a couple of friends in England who have done similar. They succeeded.

seingalt
03-06-2004, 12:24 PM
If you want to order by telephone, some U.S. bicycle retailers can help you avoid all European taxes and get a bicycle delivered to your door by international courier.

I can email you with more info. if you like.

Andreu
03-06-2004, 12:27 PM
JPW
thanks for the information....I will have to see if I can manufacture a good reason to visit US through my job (conference etc.) so they pay for the flights!
You are not a cunning fox in a human suit by any chance.
All the best
A:beer:

csb
03-06-2004, 02:36 PM
...is entirely different than not paying tax.
i wish an orifice search on any person who
cheats the system.

regardez,
csb

Ahneida Ride
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
How much was the English Tea tax ? Now look at what that
inspired. And at what rate are we being taxed now ?

I wonder who needs the inspection.

stackie
03-06-2004, 03:56 PM
csb

But, avoiding tax is the American way! I don't suppose you actually claim all of the sales tax that you are not charged when you order mail order? I'm sure your state would like you to do so when you file your state returns.

I read recently a statistic regarding the size of the underground economy (cash pay, no receipts) and I was astounded as to the actual figure. I cannot remember the number off the top of my head. But, it truly was astounding!

I wouldn't feel one bit guilty about saving a little tax money after that read.

Jon

Needs Help
03-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by stackie
But, avoiding tax is the American way! I don't suppose you actually claim all of the sales tax that you are not charged when you order mail order? I'm sure your state would like you to do so when you file your state returns.

No, cheating on your taxes is the criminal's way. If a majority of Americans are morally bankrupt enough to believe committing state and federal crimes is OK because of the low probability of getting caught, then that's too bad. It just cheats the honest people--but of course you probably scoff at the honest people, and I'll bet you're one of the people who cries out the loudest when public services are cut, roads are crummy, and police and emergency workers are minimized. Apparently, you can afford Serottas, but you aren't willing to pay your fair share for the opportunity to live in this country--pathetic. Go move to Iraq or Afghanistan if you can't stand the rules here.

But then again, I'm sure your role models are people like Martha Stewart. Hopefully, you'll end up in the same place she's going. It's a pleasure watching people like you cry like babies when they get caught. Maybe I'll be on your jury?

Kevin
03-07-2004, 05:40 AM
While I have stayed away from this thread, I think that it time for a truce. If Andreu gets caught buying a Serotta in the manner that has been discussed on this forum, the prosecutor would love to get a hold of this thread.

Kevin

Ozz
03-07-2004, 09:13 AM
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society"

Now if there was just some cool quote about how governments should spend tax revenues wisely, and not overburden the citizens...