PDA

View Full Version : Yoga DVDs

CT Rider
01-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Need your input to find a good Yoga DVD to help me deal with some stress and help me gain some flexibility.

I went to my doctor last week for my normal twice a year "quick-check-up". I knew I was in trouble by the look on his face when he took my blood pressure. In 6 months my blood pressure jumed from 120/80 to 155/110. My Cholesterol level jumped from 181 to 244! He ordered me to immediately stop my bike workouts and put me on bp and cholesterol meds. Seems like stress in my life caught up with me, in mid-July my wife and I lost our first baby at 27 weeks (perfect pregnancy, no real explanation), my wife's job was eliminated and my company had a massive layoff, leaving me as 1 of only 4 software engineers left (and a bleak outollk for the future of the compnay). And all this happened in one week!

The bp meds have got my blood pressure back down to a safe level so I can resume exercise. I'd like to try some Yoga to help reduce/cope with my on-going stress. Any recomendations?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

TriJim
01-04-2006, 06:33 AM
CT -- Sorry to hear about your stressors. I'd like to recommend Yoga for Cyclists from VeloGear. Link. (http://store.velogear.com/yoforcy.html) It doesn't use confusing language and directs you into the poses with words and demonstration. Plus, the two main sessions include good stretches for cycling-related muscle tension. Good luck.

CT Rider
01-04-2006, 06:59 AM
I'd like to recommend Yoga for Cyclists from VeloGear

TriJim,

This is the one which popped up when I did a Google search. When I read the description:

This full-featured DVD contains two 28-minute sessions of poses with detailed instruction, including brief instruction in breathing and meditation.

Since you seem to have used this DVD will the "brief instruction in breathing and mediation" be enough to help lower the stress level? I believe the yoga aspects applied to ccycling on this DVD would be what I'm looking for, I'm just concerned that the DVD might not provide as much "stress relief" as I need.

Dr. Doofus
01-04-2006, 07:08 AM
yoga cannot be learned from a book or dvd

dumb the books

ask the brooks

Ray
01-04-2006, 07:32 AM
yoga cannot be learned from a book or dvd

dumb the books

ask the brooks
Gotta agree. A DVD like that might be ok for someone who's already practicing yoga to teach them some new poses and sequences that are specifically appropriate for cyclists. But for someone just starting out, I wouldn't start with a DVD. Find a good class, and if meditation and stress reduction are your goals, I wouldn't start with a health club yoga class. Go to a good yoga center - maybe Douglas ("the Brooks") could recommend one in your area?

-Ray

dbrk
01-04-2006, 08:00 AM
If you are near Redding or Darien, CT then you could do no better than Bernadette Birney. She's bright, fun, and well-trained. She teaches here:
Godstow Retreat Center
30 Putnam Park Road (aka CT-107)
Redding, CT 06898
Phone: 203-938-2330
http://www.godstow.org/index.html

And here,

Elements Yoga
354 Heights Road
Darien, Connecticut, 06820
Phone: 203.655. YOGA
www.elementsyoga.com

Bernadette Birney
bnbirney@optonline.net
203-220-9024
And she gives privates and can likely set you up with a routine that works well for you.

"Yoga" can be stretching (because that's how the word is used nowadays) but if you want some of the benefits that would aid in relieving stress and addressing the whole of your self, then you need a teacher, not a DVD. It's a bit like going to get a prescription or going to see a doctor. It depends on what you need, but self-dosing as effective as it might be for a body has little to do with healing the person. End of sermon.

dbrk

Bud
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I, too am sorry to hear about your stress. I hope you can manageit and get back on the bike soon. The thread is of interest to me because I'd like to try yoga as well. I thought about the DVD thing, but everything I've heard from friends, etc. is what has already been echoed here: take a class from an instructor.

Perhaps I can make this a resolution for the new year. There are plenty of good instructors here in my area, so I should just bite the bullett and sign up for a class.

Take care, CT. :)

ti_boi
01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
As for learning Yoga...I like a teacher that knows 'Iyengar'.

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

http://www.iynaus.org/News/Announcements/national.aspx

The poses are held for a long time and the emphasis is on precision. Stay away from speed yoga...or hot house Yoga...that stuff won't help you to relax. A guided meditation at the end is exactly what you need....

Rodney Yee has some decent DVDs. They help get you focus and guide you through the movements. I like his pace.

-Enjoy-

CT Rider
01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Wow, I never really gave any thought that learning yoga basics from a DVD wasn't really a good idea. As always input from you guys opened my mind and my eyes.

If you are near Redding or Darien, CT then you could do no better than Bernadette Birney.

Unfortunately I am quite far away from this area, easily 50+ miles one way into the most traffic conjested area of the state. I'll look locally to find classes & a good instructor. Our local YMCA is probably a good place to start, it is pretty big and I know it has won a few awards for it's course offerings.

Hysbrian
01-04-2006, 01:39 PM
If you are in the other direction there are lots of good places in the New Haven, Branford, Guilford area. Lots of small/private classes

TriJim
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
"Yoga for Cyclists" starts with the disclaimer that it is not a substitute for formal Yoga training with an instructor. However, I find it is an efficient way to invest "at home" exercise time just like the guided workout in a Spinervals DVD can improve a trainer session.

Besides two sessions of cycling-specific poses, YfC discusses the fundamentals of Yoga breathing and stress reduction. The video includes biking footage and the narration describes the biking activity or "problem area" that a particular stretch or balance is meant to counter.

Also, Saturday 28 Jan is Yoga Day USA. Many fitness centers will offer demonstrations and free classes on this day. You might see if there is a demonstration or free class in your area.

While we're at it, let me also recommend Performance Stretching for MultiSport (http://www.bodyzen.com/htmlsite/equipments.html#) from BodyZen. Lee Zohlman guides you through a 40-minute sport-specific stretch routine that will improve your flexibility.

Again, good luck in reaching your health and fitness goals.