PDA

View Full Version : Kuota

sirroada
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Anyone on this forum ever ridden a Kuota Khan? I have a legend Ti that I love but I am looking for a full carbon frame and can't get the wife to approve the meivici so I am looking for more affordable options. I am intrigued by the looks of the Kuota but I know nothing about the company or the Kuota Khan. Someone feel free to enlighten me.

SoCalSteve
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with it..

Great deals to be found on Colnago C-50's. Try GVH or CBike.

Remember, its a "Jerk" approved bike.

Steve

bostondrunk
01-04-2006, 01:16 AM
What Steve said, as well as Calfee Tetra Pro.

Serpico
01-04-2006, 02:35 AM

I am intrigued by the looks of the Kuota but I know nothing about the company or the Kuota Khan. Someone feel free to enlighten me.

yeah, I was just going to mention this--everyone seems to like the unique look (I'm an exception, I just think it's weird loooking), but aside from that I've never heard much

I think there's better frames you can get for the same dough, just imho bro

good luck :)

Max77
01-04-2006, 05:14 AM
I have seen mixed reviews on it.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/kuota/road-bike/PRD_320951_5668crx.aspx

I know Kenny Souza won the Furnace Creek 508 last year riding one, but that doesn't mean anything. It was loaned to Kenny for the race, and he probably could have won it on anything he was given. However, the Kuota setup Kenny was riding I understand cost about $15,000. So I don't know if you would get your wife's approval on that one either.

Two years ago I was going to buy Legend Ti, until I rode a Tetra Pro. The Legend Ti was a great ride, but the Tetra Pro had everything I was looking for in a bike. Since, I've been using it to ride double centuries. If things go well this season it will see its first triple century, and the Furnace Creek 508 Race.

Good Luck on your search for full-carbon bike.

From a satisfied full-carbon rider.

William
01-04-2006, 06:10 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7315&highlight=kuota

William

loctite
01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
We just picked up Kuota in our store. Nice riding bikes well made for a Chinese made mass produced frame. The design is good and the geo.is sensible. The bikes are light and seem to be durable, all though time will tell. The price is right which makes them great for second or race bikes. I would recommend the bike.

weisan
01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Consider Crumpton (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/contact.html) on your short list as well.

Dr. Doofus
01-04-2006, 07:48 AM
why the plastic?

get an 8:30 or a CIII

ClutchCargo
01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
has reviews of three of their models, which might be helpful:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1670

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2304

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3001

OldDog
01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Used Calfee TP, 52cm, for sale.

Will have up on classifieds with full details and pics in a few days, weekend at latest. Not mine, posting for a buddy.

oldguy00
01-04-2006, 09:41 AM
why the plastic?

get an 8:30 or a CIII

Why the heavy steel? Why not buy plastic that is lighter, just as stiff, rides smoother, etc.?

Dr. Doofus
01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Why the heavy steel? Why not buy plastic that is lighter, just as stiff, rides smoother, etc.?

hmmm...metal made by the serotta crew or by dario

or

assembly line carbon made by highly drilled slave labor?

doof won't even respond to the weight question

we've been there

Frustration
02-14-2006, 09:35 PM
weather Carbon fiber or Old Tin Can, I want performance.

I don't give a damn if a bike is hand made by virgin monks that hand carry each tube 5000 miles, massage it with peanut oil and heather, then weld it using a combination of sunlight and God's Love or is simply jacked together by a tweaking Ethiopian. If it works and lasts, it works.

I loved the Ottrot, Love the Nove and the Khan is a damn nice bike (if it will fit you).

Although sentimental "I know the welder" crap probably comes in handy some time, I wouldn't imagine it helps much on the road.

vaxn8r
02-14-2006, 09:55 PM
hmmm...metal made by the serotta crew or by dario

or

assembly line carbon made by highly drilled slave labor?

doof won't even respond to the weight question

we've been there
I guess I missed the part of Sirroada's post where he was considering AL or steel. Oh, I guess that's because he was looking for a CF bike.

This is the second time today I've read CF referred to in the pejorative as "plastic". Why do the steel guys always feel so threatened by someone else choosing CF?

These are the type of inflammatory posts that cause bad feelings. Ride what you like but respect others choices. ATMO

fmbp
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Granted, this may be an anomaly, but here is my experience with Kuota bicycles. I was on a group ride this past weekend, and a crash occurred. Three riders went down in the middle of a group of ~6 or 7 as the result of a wide, deep crack in the pavement which ran parallel the direction in which we were travelling.

The first bike in the crash, a Trek 2300, whose wheel went straight down into the crack, escaped with a (probably) wrecked front wheel, one messed up shifter, and maybe bent handlebars.

The Kuota was, I believe, next in the paceline. It wasn't a Khan, but was another of their all carbon models. The rider said that he had just taken delivery of the bike the day before and this was his first ride on the bike. The frame ended up in two pieces, it had completely broken off at the headtube. I am not sure exactly how this happened, or the forces on the bike that caused it to break. All I know was that the rider was pretty upset, and understandably so.

The third bike in the crash, I'm not sure of the make, but he kept on riding, so he and the bike must have been fine.

Take this for what it's worth (maybe not much). Have fun with the new bike when you get it.

sjbraun
02-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Friend just took delivery on a Quattro Assi xxx2 from Wm Lewis Imports. Very nice looking frame. It rides well (or so he claims,) and can be purchased for $1200 which includes frame. fork, headset,seatpost and shipping.

02-15-2006, 04:47 AM
I rode a kuota khan for a couple hundred miles while on vaca and I was generally underwhelmed.

It felt very dead not very snappy. I felt as if I was riding in syrup it did not make any difference the harder I pushed it just went it's speed.

As a reference I ride a Nove and guru crono so as the "rust" riders say i am on plastic.

have a look at guru they do full custom on every model and they are in a similar price point to kuota.
K

Dr. Doofus
02-15-2006, 06:56 AM
I guess I missed the part of Sirroada's post where he was considering AL or steel. Oh, I guess that's because he was looking for a CF bike.

This is the second time today I've read CF referred to in the pejorative as "plastic". Why do the steel guys always feel so threatened by someone else choosing CF?

These are the type of inflammatory posts that cause bad feelings. Ride what you like but respect others choices. ATMO

vax

not hating on anybody's bike

maybe someone just wants carbon -- ok, fine. the point was that at that price point, one can get a better built frame made out of a different material...and even at that price point, there are better carbon frames from different builders...that don't have the "boutique" schtick

funny thing is -- and here doof is, perhaps, getting inflammatory, that several people posted in december/jan about good carbon frames under two grand...doof pm'd em all about getting a carbon fuji (which is a perfectly decent bike..doof is the vague acquiantance of some guys who get paid to ride the things, and have no complaints about em) from his LBS on a screaming deal...no takers...so maybe its just all about having a carbon bike from a cool name...who knows....

Frustration
02-15-2006, 09:24 AM
And having a steel bike from someone Named Dario is about what again? :rolleyes:

Dr. Doofus
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
And having a steel bike from someone Named Dario is about what again? :rolleyes:

about build quality...peg, sachs, serotta, kirk, goodrich (and others)...ain't about the name, and if its about the name for you you're a philistine and an idiot. its about craftsmanship and something called genius.

Grant McLean
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Vax-man,

I just find it strange that people "choose" a frame material before a builder,
or a test ride.
Often people don't "consider" their options, they've already made assumptions,
and it might be beneficial to back up a bit, and ask themselves what do they
really want in the end, not up front. I "dismissed" the Cannondale six13
for a while, thinking on paper it wasn't "my bag", but I rode one, and ended
up bringing one home for keeps.

-g

vaxn8r
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Grant, I don't know that that is so strange...picking a material before a builder.

My next bike was going to be ti. I was leaning to Serotta or Spectrum but was entertaining other thoughts including Merlin, IF, Davidson. When my preowned Legend came up for sale I was ready to pounce because here it was, one of my top choices and it fit perfectly and the price was right. The bike prior to that it was going to be CF. Same thought process and I ended up with Calfee. It could easily have been Parlee and outside shot it could have been a Time or Colnago though I truly wanted to stay American. The fact that Craig's been in the business so long, his bike design has withstood the test of time and fashion gimmicks for almost 2 decades... I dont' know why he isn't more revered/respected in the CF business.

My next bike...not near future, will be steel. I have a handful of builders I'd consider with the current leader Vanilla vs Spectrum. But when the time comes it could change to Sachs or Della Santa or Davidson. If tig welding didn't bother my aesthetic sense for steel I'd put Co-Motion, IF, Steelman or Serotta higher on the list.

Grant McLean
02-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Grant, I don't know that that is so strange...picking a material before a builder.

My next bike was going to be ti. I was leaning to Serotta or Spectrum but was entertaining other thoughts including Merlin, IF, Davidson. When my preowned Legend came up for sale I was ready to pounce because here it was, one of my top choices and it fit perfectly and the price was right. The bike prior to that it was going to be CF. Same thought process and I ended up with Calfee. It could easily have been Parlee and outside shot it could have been a Time or Colnago though I truly wanted to stay American. The fact that Craig's been in the business so long, his bike design has withstood the test of time and fashion gimmicks for almost 2 decades... I dont' know why he isn't more revered/respected in the CF business.

My next bike...not near future, will be steel. I have a handful of builders I'd consider with the current leader Vanilla vs Spectrum. But when the time comes it could change to Sachs or Della Santa or Davidson. If tig welding didn't bother my aesthetic sense for steel I'd put Co-Motion, IF, Steelman or Serotta higher on the list.

Vax,

Those are nice lists, and it basically explains what I was trying to say.
The top builders are so asociated with their material, it's hard to
seperate the two.

-g

sirroada
02-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the imput people. I didn't mean to start a material war. I currently have an aluminum bike (trek 2300) and a titanium (serotta legend) bike. I have never liked the ride of steel so the next logical option is carbon fiber for me. Variety is the spice of life!