PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down a Ti seatpost?

thegunner
09-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I know - this is pure blasphemy, but i'm 99% likely the new owner of a moots post in a 380 flavor. thing is, i only need 280. is there any harm to cutting down a ti seatpost?

if not - any suggestions on the best way to go about it? will a hacksaw even work? or should i use a pipe cutter?

tuscanyswe
09-14-2013, 02:45 PM
No harm that i could detect or ever heard about. i have done so a few times.
Might want to c if someone wants to trade you a short tho?

Im using a really long one on my compact, theres no harm in having an extra inch or 2 in the tube either. Not really a big weight saving either.

slinkywizard
09-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Blasphemy indeed...:no: But otherwise it will be fine structurally...a sharp hacksaw should do the trick...

avalonracing
09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
A Dremel will work. It will spark like mad though.
Or you could keep the extra 10 centimeters, put less stress on the top of your frame's seat tube and keep the resale value of the post. Of course you'd have to go through the nightmare of knowing that your bike is an ounce heavier than it could be.

bargainguy
09-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I suppose there's some slim chance that if you leave the seatpost as is, and don't properly lube & remove every year or so, might run into the whole dissimilar metal bonding thing more than if you had cut.

Assuming you do regular maintenance, I wouldn't worry about the extra length in the slightest.

thegunner
09-14-2013, 06:04 PM
false alarm! it's a 340 :p

cnighbor1
09-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Just grow up!! (A bit) than you will need the extra length

Pete Mckeon
09-14-2013, 07:02 PM
if measured to what you want, and still has a "min" limit as stated (length below insertion point.0 and a :) smile. FINE. ANOTHER OPTION MIGHT BE TO EXCHANGE WITH SOMEONE OR MOTTS/DEALER

Peter P.
09-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Use a new hacksaw blade and you should be fine. Blades come with anywhere from 14 to 32 teeth per inch. Pick a selection of the higher tooth counts; titanium is too hard for lower tpi's. Don't use a tubing cutter; it flares the edge of the cut.

As a cheap guide for the blade, secure a pair of hose clamps on each side of the cut line.