PDA

View Full Version : OT: The long wait to hear back after an interview

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry folks, just need to vent and this is a "safe place". I had an interview last week for a position that excites me on every level...the money is right, it's an opportunity to learn some new skill sets, I LOVED the folks I interviewed with and I really like the company and what I saw of their culture. The commute would be a BEAR until we move from Philly...but it would also push us to leave the city and, as much as I love many aspects of living in town, many others are becoming unbearable. I know in my bones that this is a great fit.

The hard part is the waiting. I know we're only on the fifth business day, but every minute drags. I check email constantly for feedback. It's interfering with my concentration and performance in my current position. It feels like that space between the time you first tell a woman you love her and her answer...you've put yourself out there, and you hope they feel the same way about you. I've been casually interviewing for the past year and nothing has excited me as much as this opportunity, and all I can do is hope they feel the same way about me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

DreaminJohn
09-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I've been there before.

Good thoughts your way. Truly.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks...I'm like a knotted up slinky. I know it's a great fit, but you never know if they have an internal candidate they want and are just interviewing as a formality...or if someone who is grossly over qualified will look better on paper.

echelon_john
09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Time moves at much different speeds depending whether you're the interviewer or the interviewee.

Good luck!

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Time moves at much different speeds depending whether you're the interviewer or the interviewee.

Good luck!

So true - and thanks. It wouldn't be so bad, except I liked them so much. They asked smart, insightful questions and are the kind of people I want to work with. They get it. I've been extremely picky because I have a job that I like and it gives me the luxury of being able to be honest and say no; often in interviews I feel more like I'm interviewing them because I just don't really care that much either way. This one I care about.

Pars
09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Best of luck Aaron! Hope they don't keep you waiting too long.

satchmo
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Aaron, recruiter here. This is very normal. You mentioned this job offers a chance to learn new skills. Based on what you know about your skills and the skills needed for the job, how close a match are you?

If there are major components that you lack, that could lead to more time. The company could have other interviews lined up, the higher up management could be saying "must have exact skill set match!", or people could be out of town.

Get your thank you email out and make sure you tell/sell them on the technical match, not just the standard nice guy stuff.

Best of luck.

jischr
09-13-2013, 10:52 AM
My experience with big companies has been 2-4 weeks for the second interview, another 2 weeks for the offer. Smaller owner/operator companies are half that.

bargainguy
09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Radical strategy: Give up all expectations of this, or anything else, and leave the universe to decide its own outcomes, as it will anyway - pretty much out of your hands at this point. You've made your effort, now just sit back and relax.

Chris
09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
You tell a woman you love her first? You are a HUGE risk taker.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Good karma sent your way. Wish you well, and you land the position. Have you followed up with your points of contact from the interview with an email? You don't wanna stalk them, but hey, yes, broadcast your keen interest to them! Companies wanna know 'this dude really wants this position'.

Lastly, nothing like intervals to change one's locus. :cool:

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Aaron, recruiter here. This is very normal. You mentioned this job offers a chance to learn new skills. Based on what you know about your skills and the skills needed for the job, how close a match are you?

If there are major components that you lack, that could lead to more time. The company could have other interviews lined up, the higher up management could be saying "must have exact skill set match!", or people could be out of town.

Get your thank you email out and make sure you tell/sell them on the technical match, not just the standard nice guy stuff.

Best of luck.
It's a great fit...it's more just a chance to apply needed skills to a different kind of work. The learning opportunity isn't truly a new skill set, just a different business to apply skills to.

Got the thank yous out on Monday - individual letters to all three who spoke with me. I know we're not out of standard time frames, it's that standard times are TORTURE! I think no news is often good news - they say no quickly.

Aaron O
09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Update...second interview coming on Tuesday...the fourth attorney I will have spoken with...and he's calling from the Netherlands. I think we're getting near the end zone!

Thanks so much for all of the well wishes...the last week and a half have been hell!

dogdriver
09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Best of luck, and sympathy for your angst. Yep, I purchased our first answering machine (for the home landline telephone, I'm old) to make sure that I didn't miss "the call". Word was that mail on Monday was bad, a phone call on the previous Friday was good... went on a hike Friday morning since I couldn't stand to sit around staring at the phone. Got back to a blinking light and the "good" message...

I feel for you guys in job search these days. I doubt that I could navigate the maze of online networking, resumes, and applications that seem to be necessary to hook up with the right people...

soulspinner
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Update...second interview coming on Tuesday...the fourth attorney I will have spoken with...and he's calling from the Netherlands. I think we're getting near the end zone!

Thanks so much for all of the well wishes...the last week and a half have been hell!

You got this..........:hello:

christian
09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
I doubt that I could navigate the maze of online networking, resumes, and applications that seem to be necessary to hook up with the right people...Same as it ever was. Your friends don't get you jobs, but their friends do.

Aaron O
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM
You got this..........:hello:
From your lips to...

It FEELS right, but I don't want to get over confident or too excited until it's finished. I won't deny preparing a resignation letter and reading it to myself twice a day :cool:

I was so sure that I didn't have it by around Monday...a mix of trying to manage expectations and my standard north east neurosis.

SpokeValley
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
You need to go for a ride, a good hard one.

You'll feel much better :)

Good luck and RELAX. Looks like it's moving in the right direction...

gomango
09-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Hang in there Aaron.

Thinking positive thoughts for you in the Twin Cities. :)

zennmotion
09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I've been extremely picky because I have a job that I like and it gives me the luxury of being able to be honest and say no; often in interviews I feel more like I'm interviewing them because I just don't really care that much either way.

Careful, when I interview people, I draw a line between what I perceive as confident and cocky/entitled, and cocky means the candidate doesn't know what they don't know and is shown the door. You many not be communicating as well as, or what, you think you are. Everyone who anticipates being in the job market at some point should get some real interview feedback from a (good) professional, one of the best investments you can make in a career.

zmudshark
09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Good thoughts your way!

Aaron O
09-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks folks - fingers crossed!

Zen - having a job I like has meant that I can say no to things that I would have to say yes to otherwise. It means I can leave an interview saying this isn't for me if I feel it isn't for me. I don't think that's arrogant, it's just being picky because you're not dealing from weakness. The interview idea isn't bad at all.

bargainguy
09-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Interviews are informational both ways, so if in the course of an interview, you discover the job is not to your liking, skillset or whatever - it's perfectly fine to state as much. If anything, you're saving the employer time and resources directed toward your possible hire so they can put their energies toward other candidates.

sevencyclist
09-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Good luck with the second interview.

Aaron O
09-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Interviews are informational both ways, so if in the course of an interview, you discover the job is not to your liking, skillset or whatever - it's perfectly fine to state as much. If anything, you're saving the employer time and resources directed toward your possible hire so they can put their energies toward other candidates.

That's how I see it as well...why waste your time, and theirs, if you wouldn't accept an offer. Beyond that, why would you go into a situation you aren't thrilled about if you have something that is paying your bills? If you're out of work and need money, that's a different animal and you have to be more flexible.

jpw
09-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I once waited three weeks after an interview. Then i phoned and the conversation resulted in my appointment. Wait, but not too long.
How long is too long? Gut.

jlwdm
09-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Same as it ever was. Your friends don't get you jobs, but their friends do.

Yes, I applied for a job in 1974 when I got out of law school. Left that position after 9 years and have changed careers and lived in three different states, but I have never applied for another job. All have been offers through friends or people I have worked with.

Jeff

PQJ
09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
In my opinion, there are only 2 kinds of jobs worth having. One is a blow and the other's a hand. (Apologies if that's overly uncouth.)

With that said, wishing you all the best, and may you get the job you desire.

MattTuck
09-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Having been on the hiring side (not in HR, but interviewing people that I'd eventually hire), it is not a very prospective-employee centric process.

Most people are trying to manage their own workstreams, meet deadlines, talk with clients, get stuff done... and on top of that, meet with prospectives when schedules align. It was not uncommon for long delays because project work got in the way. I know this isn't ideal, but it is the way it works in many places.

chismog
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I would add... Enthusiasm is hard to resist (assuming you're qualified). Given two candidates with equal skills, I would always pick the person who wants the job more. They're going to be more enthusiastic and have a better attitude, every time.

Make sure you communicate that desire. If I was the employer and read your posts here, I'd be pretty stoked on hiring you. I would know you were really excited and interested in the opportunity, and for what sounds like the right reasons.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

OtayBW
09-20-2013, 05:12 PM
We interviewed and declined a candidate today. He met with 6-7 of us individually and then gave a 20 minute talk, and then the 6-7 met and gave our feedback. Interesting that the candidate was judged to be a likable and competent guy, but all independently said that he talked quite a lot and didn't really give direct answers. He spent some time living in a particular (unnamed) culture where it is not common to be so direct, so that may have had something to do with it. He also did not listen enough - e.g., the Q&A portion of his presentation was all talk and no listen.

Just goes to show you, the fundamentals are really important.

Louis
09-20-2013, 05:45 PM
He also did not listen enough - e.g., the Q&A portion of his presentation was all talk and no listen.

Often a sign of nervousness.

bargainguy
09-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Another possibility: Indecisiveness.

If the candidate can't listen/respond well or give a direct answer in an interview, I'd hate to see what would happen in a real-world situation. Probably not a lot. Your concerns are well justified.

OtayBW
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Another possibility: Indecisiveness.

If the candidate can't listen/respond well or give a direct answer in an interview, I'd hate to see what would happen in a real-world situation. Probably not a lot. Your concerns are well justified.

This guy is a pro who has been in this line of work a long time. If he was uncomfortable or couldn't connect in talking to an easy group like us (I mean, we want the guy to succeed...), he would never cut it in other, more difficult situations that he would have had to deal with if he got the job. I believe we made the right decision.

Just relating a story...