PDA

View Full Version : How to best secure a fork when installing a star nut

Llewellyn
09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
What's a safe way to keep the fork secure while you bang the star nut in the steerer tube. I'm assuming that there's going to be a fair amount of downward force as you hit the nut into the steerer so I don't want to risk damaging the fork.

10-4
09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
What's a safe way to keep the fork secure while you bang the star nut in the steerer tube. I'm assuming that there's going to be a fair amount of downward force as you hit the nut into the steerer so I don't want to risk damaging the fork.

Use one of those plastic frame savers that come with the fork. I toss that in the dropouts, then I have a nice thick rubber mat I put the frame saver on.

I have no idea how many star nuts I've installed like this, 100+ maybe? Never an issue.

echelon_john
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Ideal is a tube block around the steerer, clamped into a bench vise. Spreads the vise's force evenly and holds the tube.

ryker
09-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I have done a ton if these. I hold the fork with one hand and hammer with the other. Works great provided you're not clumsy.

EricEstlund
09-13-2013, 09:34 AM
What ryker said- just hold it. I don't like the idea of hammering onto the drop outs, even if they have a spacer.

echelon_john
09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Both freehand and clamped are also a lot easier with this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/!4ItUbPM92djaMfZFAQByqg!/Park-Tool-TNS-4-Star-Nut-Setter?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CO3o-szMyLkCFSbNOgod5V4AAA

Done plenty without, but this just makes it quicker and easier.

ryker
09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
^ Yes I use this tool with the handheld method. Inferior tools make it harder. The Cyclus tool would be fine too.

10-4
09-13-2013, 09:34 PM
What ryker said- just hold it. I don't like the idea of hammering onto the drop outs, even if they have a spacer.

With the spacer installed the force is going into the dropout, not the tips of the dropout. Which is exactly where the force goes when your front wheel hits a bump on the road.

Just don't be a gorilla with the hammer and it'll work like a charm.