PDA

View Full Version : Well known member not returning my emails after goods purchased.............

jonjones13
09-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Bought some kit off a WELL known member on here. No kit received and he's not returning my emails...

What should I do - name & shame??

William
09-13-2013, 05:56 AM
I suppose it's possible that things may have popped up in this members life. How long has it been since you've had contact? You might also want to bring this up with a mod* to see if you can get some help in getting this resolved?

William

*Mods can just try to facilitate communication between parties. No guarantee expressed or implied.

Dave B
09-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Any info on tracking numbers or anything? How long has it been?

Hope things get resolved asap.

bargainguy
09-13-2013, 07:56 AM
If it's been say a week with a no response, I'd get moving.

Pay with regular paypal? Initiate a dispute. That'll get his attention.

As to name and shame, I don't consider it inappropriate as it might be helpful to others here considering purchases from the same seller. The usual disclaimers: Ask your doctor or pharmacist, your mileage may vary, etc.

josephr
09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Personally, I prefer a fair amount of communication, but have found others aren't that big on it so it doesn't bother me when they don't. Also, on here you're dealing with other bike dudes, not professional retailers, so, like me, we've got families and careers that I will always put ahead of bike stuff. If it takes me a few days to get to the post office on my lunch break, then so be it, but I'll at least let you know.

Also, they may not have a tracking number to give...if I'm shipping something on my own dime and its cheaper to go parcel post over priority, its going parcel post.

I'd go with the mod route before naming....also, there's a buyers/sellers feedback thread pinned at the top of the classifieds. Just make sure you're not over-expecting before you get mad about it.
Joe

thwart
09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Sez here you live in Wales.

Take that into account in terms of delivery time...

... that said, lack of communication is bad form.

fuzzalow
09-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Yes sometimes thing happen which cause delay. But there is no excuse - none - for going radio silent.

This is especially bad if this forum member has been active or logged into the forum but not returning your PMs or e-mails. Most everybody has access to e-mail via various front-ends so the MSFT crash is a bad/lame excuse in the modern cloud-computing world.

I'm an optimist and think things will work out OK. I would not want to give up participation on the forum in being a pariah because of screwing another member out of some money.

Tony T
09-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Bought some kit off a WELL known member on here. No kit received and he's not returning my emails...

What should I do - name & shame??

How long have you been waiting for kit and email response?

downtube
09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
So lets think of the other side of things. Maybe this seller took his family on a vacation for a week. And maybe this person only has a desk top PC. So when this person is away from home they have no contact. If this person is a long time board member I dont think they would ruin their reputation on your purchase. I say just take a deep breath and give it another week.
chuck

vqdriver
09-13-2013, 06:57 PM
it's easy enough to look at their profile page to see their last activity and recent posts.

if someone hasn't even been on the board then i generally assume life has intruded on their forum habit. it happens to all of us so i'll just sit tight. it's worked out so far.

but if they've been on the board but ignoring attempts to communicate, i'd be irked.

----- they don't happen to be in colorado do they?

rain dogs
09-13-2013, 07:00 PM
I might suggest a few more pertinent details if you'd like the opinion of the forum. I know that some people get very nervous if they don't hear anything in 24 hours, some 24 days.

I'd say those are both excessive, but who is being excessive is distinct in each case.

How long have you been waiting? It'd be a detail I'd be interested in knowing before I gave advice on "naming and shaming"

Ken Robb
09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes sometimes thing happen which cause delay. But there is no excuse - none - for going radio silent.

How about a heart attack? Getting hit by a truck?

akelman
09-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Alien abduction? Flooded out of one's home? Bieber fever?

J.Greene
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
You can view when someone last signed in from the profile page.

pinkshogun
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
spontaneous combustion is rampant in the cycling community

fuzzalow
09-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Alien abduction? Flooded out of one's home? Bieber fever?

Gosh, you got me with those ones fellas, those are some pretty good reasons. Better him than me.

rinconryder
09-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree that radio silence is poor form but if it is a well known member I suspect they will come through. I had a similar thing happen to me and while frustrating the seller came through in the end after no contact for a week. They might just live in boulder or somewhere in CO and be in a $hit storm right now which would explain things.

Tony T
09-13-2013, 10:23 PM
FWIW, the OP hasn't responded in this thread in over 17 hrs :)

pbarry
09-13-2013, 10:35 PM
FWIW, the OP hasn't responded in this thread in over 17 hrs :)

Right. And in my experience, the OP doesn't return PM's when it suits him. Rarely do they post on anything but the classifieds.. Figure this was a frame being sent from the U.S. that will take 2-3 weeks or more to get to the U.K. Just chill.

jonjones13
09-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Nope, not a frame, a few headsets were bought about 2months ago now, seller is not responsing to PMs on here nor to direct emails. He is VERY well know on here and has sold a load of stuff before, so is a legit guy, but need the headsets to sell on as I've got debts which need paid.

Sorry I haven't responded for 17 hrs :eek: but I don't live my life on here

bluesea
09-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Bought from classified because you need to pay debt? Buyer-seller for profit?

rwsaunders
09-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Regardless of the motivation or need, 60 days is a helluva long time to listen to crickets.

christian
09-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Nope, not a frame, a few headsets were bought about 2months ago now, seller is not responsing to PMs on here nor to direct emails. He is VERY well know on here and has sold a load of stuff before, so is a legit guy, but need the headsets to sell on as I've got debts which need paid.

Oh for f*ck's sake, mate. How many times do we have to hear this story. Yes, he sells a lot of ····e here, never ships promptly, maybe sometimes never at all, eventually refunds money, blah blah blah, same f*cking story every time. Too busy at a baseball game or at the hospital or whatever it is this time.

Why don't you just not buy from him? Caveat emptor and all that. Same song, diff'rent verse.

I wouldn't buy a bike from him on a bet.

All, that said, hope you get your head sets in time for Christmas.

tch
09-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh for f*ck's sake, mate. How many times do we have to hear this story. Yes, he sells a lot of ····e here, never ships promptly, maybe sometimes never at all, eventually refunds money, blah blah blah, same f*cking story every time. Too busy at a baseball game or at the hospital or whatever it is this time.

Why don't you just not buy from him? Caveat emptor and all that. .

So... some people know the person and others don't???
If he is so well known for this behavior, then please, by all means, don't be coy. Then we can all know not to fall into the same trap. It's only "caveat emptor" if we, in fact, have been warned.

BCS
09-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Why don't you just not buy from him? Caveat emptor and all that. Same song, diff'rent verse.

I wouldn't buy a bike from him on a bet.

All, that said, hope you get your head sets in time for Christmas.

If our "community" has a bad apple that some of us recognize, does it not behoove the moderators to ban said apple from the classifieds??

PS--I have no idea who the seller is but after reading Christian's post, I certainly would like to avoid

Joachim
09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Too busy at a baseball game or at the hospital or whatever it is this time.

I thought it was the marathon? Jeez Christian, get your facts straight :) (looking for a 56.5 top tube steel frame?).

firerescuefin
09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
X Ray, Juliet, Hotel, Alpha, X Ray

hokoman
09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
X Ray, Juliet, Hotel, Alpha, X Ray

Close. Here is the thread I think the headsets were purchased from -
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=131787&highlight=king

Tony T
09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry I haven't responded for 17 hrs :eek:

72 hours. (....still better than 60 days :))

CaliFly
09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
If he is so well known for this behavior, then please, by all means, don't be coy. Then we can all know not to fall into the same trap. It's only "caveat emptor" if we, in fact, have been warned.

This. The more you know, the less excuses you can make.

christian
09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Right, I don't really know who jonjones bought head sets from, but xjahx was selling headsets a few months ago, and I wouldn't buy anything that needed to be shipped from xjahx. In person, sure, no problem. I'm sure he's lovely.

christian
09-16-2013, 12:24 PM

There's a buyer/seller review thread in the classifieds forum.

54ny77
09-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I sold jon a frame awhile back, was a pleasure to work with. And shipping via USPS over the pond from NY was no walk in park. I got timely payment and he had patience with delivery. Good communication all around is what kept things smooth.

Sounds like the seller x-factor is not good on communication. That doesn't keep things smooth.

So for whatever that's all worth....maybe $0.02....

559Rando
09-16-2013, 01:00 PM
In the assumed seller's "Lenz Behemoth, Geekhouse Pursuit Rock City" thread, he wr0te, "Checking out for 3 months at the end of next week. I want to sell these prior." That was June 20.
And then June 24, he wrote, "Leaving in 4 days; I will not return for 2-3 months if all goes well."
That's doesn't really jive 100% with his posting history afterwards (postings in July and August), but perhaps he is all over the globe or some other form of internet sabbatical.
-Amateur Sherlock Holmes

Joachim
09-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes, Jon is super easy to deal with btw.

BCS
09-16-2013, 01:01 PM
The buyer/seller feedback for the alleged perp. has 2 of 14 negative comments. I would not rely on this system exclusively

JAGI410
09-16-2013, 01:03 PM
I bought a headset from xjahx and it arrived quick, no issues here.

slidey
09-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Just from a logical standpoint, in this day and age I doubt posting history has very much to do with geographical location.

That said, I hope John is able to get some sort of satisfactory resolution for this issue. As for the user 'xjahx', might be a swell guy in real life, but I wouldn't dare deal with him if it involved him shipping something out.

"Checking out for 3 months at the end of next week. I want to sell these prior." That was June 20.
And then June 24, he wrote, "Leaving in 4 days; I will not return for 2-3 months if all goes well."
That's doesn't really jive 100% with his posting history afterwards (postings in July and August),

R3awak3n
09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
this forum should be using heatware (www.heatware.com)

its free and its an amazing way to rate sellers/buyers. In a forum where so much money is moved (bikes are huge purchases) I am surprised that we dont use something like heatware.

I have never had a problem here but it could happen.

559Rando
09-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Just from a logical standpoint, in this day and age I doubt posting history has very much to do with geographical location.

I actually said the guy could be "all over the globe," but you chopped my quote omit that.

Black Dog
09-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I bought a headset from xjahx and it arrived quick, no issues here.

Ditto.

jonjones13
09-18-2013, 08:36 AM
xjahx owed/s me $200 from a past sale and I decided to exchange my 'credit' for headsets which I could sell on to make back the $200.

No headsets, no word, no replies to emails :-(

93legendti
09-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Paging Ryun

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=129197&page=2

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128475

bostondrunk
09-18-2013, 08:58 AM
xjahx owed/s me $200 from a past sale and I decided to exchange my 'credit' for headsets which I could sell on to make back the $200.

No headsets, no word, no replies to emails :-(

Call his local PD and ask a detective to give him a call.

xjahx
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Keith, for alerting me to this. Jon, check you bank account and all the best.

Not quite accurate, but ok. Lesson learned: I will no longer accept deposits; either you pay in full and I ship or you do not pay at all until you have the funds.

I am out of the endless buying/selling, am enjoying what I have (4 awesome bikes), and apologize to Jon for the delay.

Back to my abode...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7333/9802042303_9d92915d70_c.jpg

jonjones13
09-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Sorry this had to go public, but I can confirm that I have had nothing but the best transactions with xjahx in the past, hence why this was strange when getting no replies etc.

The fine gentleman has refunded me the money and said I can keep the headsets should they ever arrive.

Many thanks and, for the record, I would definitely do business with xjahx again, just went south because of 'communication breakdown' this time.

Jon.

MODS PLEASE DELETE, thanks.

Shortsocks
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm happy this is concluded and DONE!!

Congrats to all parties. PACELINE is a safe place again. :hello::hello:

AngryScientist
09-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Sorry this had to go public.....

MODS PLEASE DELETE, thanks.

you shouldnt be sorry this had to go public. it's pretty obvious to me that it's the only reason you got your money back this century. strange that he wouldnt return any of your PMs or emails, but when a mod PM'd him telling him he was getting slammed in public, he comes out of the woodwork no?

threads like this are educational, no way we're going to delete it.

xjahx
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree, AngryS.

Caveat Emptor: I made about 200 bicycle related sales last year and about 300 bicycle related purchases, from $5 bolts to $5k frames. I have had in total, 2 missing items (these headsets to Jon included and a deal that worked out beautifully with Ryun), a few hurt feelings over "first place in line," but overall no disappointed buyers or sellers at the end of the day.

Reference my Flickr sets for sales that have worked for all parties: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxjahxx/sets/

I truly used to love riding the next best thing for a week or two and then making a decision to sell or keep. Now, I truly enjoy riding what I have and not making trips to FedEx or UPS to at the end of the day to break even. I have 4 remaining bikes locked in place and will simply move a few more upon returning to the mainland (Sachs team cross, IF planet-x, Dean Ti track)...

And whomever mentioned the marathon as an excuse, which I have never used, I hope that you find peace and happiness outside of an online world where you can make unfounded accusations. I shared a few photos with the forum of what was the most horrific experience in my life yet one in which I was able to work beside strangers in saving lives and loving those around me. It has forever changed me and is the largest factor behind checking out and living the four hour work week. All the best and be safe...

beeatnik
09-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Interesting to me how a guy who owns or has owned countless $5000/plus frames (jonjones) and more than likely lives a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle (in the UK, no less) was so upset over the loss of $200, that he started a thread about it and as the kids say, "burned the spot." Now, all's forgiven.

Was the issue the loss of money or the violation of trust? Anyway, both parties are so disingenuous, it makes my head spin. Why is it so hard for xjahx to admit that sometimes he could just give an eff about his Paceline transactions but his ebay sales are given a world class level of service. And JonJones, I think you might be the first dude on Paceline who regularly buys Crumptons, Mootseses, Strongs from across the Pond (saving thousands and enjoying the favorable exchange rates) and then cites hardship after the first (low dollar) bad experience.

William
09-18-2013, 05:13 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Content/Img/Smilies/lock.gif

The transaction has been completed. Story is finished. History is recorded.

William