PDA

View Full Version : No more red and white frames from Richard Sachs!

4Rings6Stars
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I am excited to see what they have come up with!

http://www.richardsachs.com/site/2013/09/12/my-new-house/

My New House

I’m closing a file that’s been open for more than three decades. The red and white thing, a paint scheme arrived at almost by accident when I had to match bicycles I was making for my racing team – match them to clothing supplied to us by Le Coq Sportif – a pattern that has had more tonal variations, ink color revisions, decal size and placement combinations, but has remained essentially red and white since 1982, is now part of my past.

I looked at what I had and considered the project done. It was perfect and mature. Mature in the sense that I could not imagining changing another detail and still feel content, or that I could go forward with a finer design. The current version has remained unchanged since 2009 and I had nothing left I wanted to give to it.

So what could be next? In the time it takes to hit ctrl alt del, my intention became clear. I wanted a wholesale departure from my past so that I could cross a line on one day and step into my future on the next. There was only one place I would trust for such a leap: House Industries.

I contacted Rich Roat, expressed a desire for a complete makeover of my identity program, and asked if he and his staff would guide me. The hash marks were simple: bury the red and white thing, lose as many connections to the “look” that I had worked with and around all these years, and emerge with something uniquely House Industries For Richard Sachs.

After some twenty months, House and I are walking up to that line and getting ready to cross it together. Rich, Bondé, Andy, and Ken have completed the re-skin. The Richard Sachs Cyclocross Team will start the season this week and debut the creations that House Industries has designed. Graphics. Fonts. Colors. Racing kits. Accessories. Maybe even stickers. Well, maybe not stickers.

It was 1982 when I began my racing sponsorship program, and the red and white thing came from that. I’ve managed teams every season since. That won’t change, but everything else you see will.

redir
09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Maybe he should make carbon frames only too! Yeah this will be interesting. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the 'New Coke.'

Ken Robb
09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Let's hope the folks in line for a Sachs like the new look. Having said that I have seen a few Sachs bikes that were not the standard red/white. Maybe the new look is for his team bikes and individual customers can order whatever they like within reason.

Nooch
09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Let's hope the folks in line for a Sachs like the new look. Having said that I have seen a few Sachs bikes that were not the standard red/white. Maybe the new look is for his team bikes and individual customers can order whatever they like within reason.

I'm expecting a different logo treatment... colors I'm sure would still be customer's choice...

charliedid
09-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Love it.

witcombusa
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
What's this Red/White thing he speaks of?

Mine's just RED w/yellow decals...

avalonracing
09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I think this could be a cool development. As much as you guys drool over the look of a "proper Sachs" they do nothing for me. I appreciate the craftsmanship and I like a traditional looking bike but the red and white? Boring. A yellow logo on top of that? Wow, it's like my nightmare. I know, you don't have to buy one Robb... And I didn't. (For the record red, white and blue bikes also chap my ass, sorry Matt, I know you love your Kirk).

Now for Mr. Negative to be more positive. I doubt there is anyone cooler than House Industries to help with this re-branding. In my previous life as a photographer (who would work with designers) I would look at their catalogs of fonts and read them like a book. Their design aesthetic and attention to detail is superb and might just be the perfect pairing for the new Sachs.

I know there is a closed waiting list for his bikes so it isn't even an issue of buying one but I am very interested to see what they come up with.

#campyuserftw
09-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Neon is the new black. Bring back 90's neon. Bring back multi-colored panels. Look to Pegoretti for a way to dress steel with liquid art.

:cool:

EDS
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I am excited to see what they have come up with!

http://www.richardsachs.com/site/2013/09/12/my-new-house/

Seems Richard is refering to the team bikes only, correct?

hummus_aquinas
09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I feel like hi-vis is something reserved for OS carbon-tubed bikes. I hope he doesn't lean towards new-age typography style ala Baum...woof.

christian
09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
As long as it's not Gulf blue/orange, I'm good with this.

54ny77
09-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I predict it will incorporate some styling cues from Ceelo Green.

http://0.tqn.com/d/randb/1/0/7/a/-/-/CeeLo.jpg

MattTuck
09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
(For the record red, white and blue bikes also chap my ass, sorry Matt, I know you love your Kirk).

No offense taken. The paint on the Kirk was inspired by the first road bike I lusted after, which I saw on the campus of Cornell University, heading up Campus Rd, near Willard Strait in 2001.

So, that paint scheme was almost 12 years in the making.

That said, if/when I get my next custom, I'll bring you in to consult on the design. :banana::banana:

What do you suggest?

zennmotion
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
No offense taken. The paint on the Kirk was inspired by the first road bike I lusted after, which I saw on the campus of Cornell University, heading up Campus Rd, near Willard Strait in 2001.

That said, if/when I get my next custom, I'll bring you in to consult on the design. :banana::banana:

What do you suggest?

Sitting on the steps of the Strait, it's not the bikes I'm looking at. :cool: And, as far as I know, Glenn Swan's bikes are invariably monochromatic, and no other (local built) bike is worthy of that kind of attention.

MattTuck
09-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Sitting on the steps of the Strait, it's not the bikes I'm looking at. :cool: And, as far as I know, Glenn Swan's bikes are invariably monochromatic, and no other (local built) bike is worthy of that kind of attention.

hehe. :banana:

It was a Trek 5200. The USPS scheme, white with blue panels, red accents. I was in college, I didn't have a deep appreciation of bikes at that point. In fact, I had only ever ridden mountain bikes. Seeing that bike made me want to get into road cycling, which I did after I graduated and got a job. The 5200 in the colors I wanted was in my bike shop (it was a last year's model by the time I had graduated). I visited that bike many times, but could not afford it... so I got a steel Lemond. Not a bad choice, all things considered.

Funny story about Cornell. I visited in the summer between my junior and senior year of high school. I liked it a lot, and noticed that many of the girls were .... ummm.... unsupported. I went back and told my buddies in high school, that it was great! 4 people from my high school applied, 3 got accepted.

I transferred in after my freshman year at RPI. :banana:

fourflys
09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Maybe the new look is for his team bikes and individual customers can order whatever they like within reason.

that's how I think I read it... it'll be cool to see the new look, but I hope I can still get the original when my turn comes up if I want...

avalonracing
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

What do you suggest?

I love colors used in the poster that you use as an image by your name... Although not on a bike.
I really do love color but most of my bikes are bushed Ti which is my first choice. I found when I was racing having bikes that were painted was a pain as you could get this cool green bike that matched your green team kit perfectly and then the following season you would switch teams (or your current team would switch sponsors) and your cool green bike with your new red and white jersey would make you look like a X-Mas decoration. Ti, white, or grey looks good and matches everything.

witcombusa
09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
that's how I think I read it... it'll be cool to see the new look, but I hope I can still get the original when my turn comes up if I want...

He didn't start with the Red/White theme till '82.....he was building on his own in late '75 I believe.

joosttx
09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Rumor has it ATMO was inspired by Jeff Koons.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8099/8546738378_84ed73de7c_z.jpg

and the new bikes are made of carbon.

fiamme red
09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
e-RICHIE must have got tired of red Twizzlers. The new bikes will be painted rainbow colors. :)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3279/2336520144_8bf7bafbd0_z.jpg

fourflys
09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
[/B]

He didn't start with the Red/White theme till '82.....he was building on his own in late '75 I believe.

I guess I should have said iconic instead of original...

FlashUNC
09-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Seems Richard is refering to the team bikes only, correct?

Richard has said that an overwhelming number of his bikes go to customers with that red/white paint scheme.

4Rings6Stars
09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Richard has said that an overwhelming number of his bikes go to customers with that red/white paint scheme.

Right - I think (and the man himself might chime in and correct me), that you could always get your frame in whatever color you wanted but most people opted for the traditional / team colors. I am sure he will still let you paint it red and white if you want.

PQJ
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Great news. Red is considered unlucky for me and best avoided, especially on my bikes. About 4 yrs left for me in the queue.

Black Dog
09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Its a colour change. :rolleyes: Not a journey to the bottom of the subconscious.

dancinkozmo
09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
in related news i hear sachs is thinking about ditching his rotary phones and adopting newfangled pushbutton technology....

MattTuck
09-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Funny you should mention rotary dial phones, I just watched this video.

http://www.wimp.com/phonebuttons/

It talks about the study that Bell Labs did on how to lay out the phone buttons for touch tone dialing.

crownjewelwl
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
the color is not the bike

rice rocket
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
the bike is not the color

dawgie
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I would recommend Celeste green except somebody else already had dibs on that color.

blessthismess
09-12-2013, 03:40 PM
I heard from an inside source that all his bikes from here on out will be white...

rwsaunders
09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
I heard from an inside source that all his bikes from here on out will be white...

I heard that Surprise Me is making a comeback...

crownjewelwl
09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
forum speculation is not the bike

#campyuserftw
09-12-2013, 04:06 PM

I got a bike
I love to take it for a ride
When my legs think back to all the cr*p up Ventoux
It's a wonder I can pedal at all
Atmo don't take my Kodachrome away

jimcav
09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
As long as it's not Gulf blue/orange, I'm good with this.

I know one guy who won't be tempted by my SV if I ever sell it!

dbrk
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I think you will see an approach that is a statement of real change, not so far from Richard's past that you don't see the connection but from what we see across the industry's standard faire. With House Industries involved the level of creativity and thought spent on the matter will bring significant rethinking. House is amazing imo.

I have more than one Sachs and three of them aren't red and white; I chose all the colors. If I hadn't had a choice of colors it wouldn't have mattered one bit to me.

MarleyMon
09-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I think you will see an approach that is a statement of real change...
I'm getting a vibe of Spring Green tubes and Line-in-the-Sand graphics.

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
. . . as long as it doesn't have "ATMO" at the end of every sentence. :rolleyes:

BBD

Climb01742
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
In related news, House Industries created the Lucky Charms logo. You should have seen the uproar on cereal forums.

jmoore
09-12-2013, 05:02 PM
In related news, House Industries created the Lucky Charms logo. You should have seen the uproar on cereal forums.

I LOL'd

/thread

Peter P.
09-12-2013, 06:15 PM
It's too bad customers who bought into Richard Sachs and were partially influenced by the paint will not be able to get what they had envisioned. I wonder if this will lead to some customers crying foul, and rightfully so.

I do however think it was a smart move to enlist the services of a design house in creating the new decals. I find many quality builders only lacking is a cheap decal finish.

witcombusa
09-12-2013, 06:26 PM
It's too bad customers who bought into Richard Sachs and were partially influenced by the paint will not be able to get what they had envisioned. I wonder if this will lead to some customers crying foul, and rightfully so.

I do however think it was a smart move to enlist the services of a design house in creating the new decals. I find many quality builders only lacking is a cheap decal finish.

Peter, I don't think that is what he is saying. The "team" bikes are getting a new look. Unless I'm missing something here, it is not going to prevent customers from picking the colors THEY want.

TimD
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM

The color is the color.

SamIAm
09-12-2013, 07:19 PM
I loved that red color scheme. And I think House Ind. is beyond good. It will be very sweet.

Grant McLean
09-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Unless I'm missing something here, it is not going to prevent customers from picking the colors THEY want.

My general retail experience tells me most people will just want what's
the new or current version.

Given how specific Ricardo is with the detailed aesthetic look of his bikes,
and how he characterized the new direction as a "makeover", I expect
to be able to recognize the bikes as being within the linage of the Sachs
identity we know and love, but with something fresh and new added.

In other words, unless they had invented some new colours, or all of them
have taken some mind altering drugs, I'm going to be shocked if it
won't be recognizable as the new Richard Sachs, but still very much
a Richard Sachs creation.

-g

09-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Its a colour change. :rolleyes: Not a journey to the bottom of the subconscious.

Oh, but it is. It is.

dancinkozmo
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
spy photo of new sachs leaked on internet !!!!!!

witcombusa
09-12-2013, 07:54 PM
My general retail experience tells me most people will just want what's
the new or current version.

-g

I'm not sure that will apply in this particular case. At least some of the folks "in the waiting pool" already have a vision in their heads. Will they opt for the "new" old school version... time will tell.

GT2R
09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
photo of new sachs leaked on internet !!!!!!

Sweet, I'd ride to grocery and grab some grub on that!

pbarry
09-12-2013, 08:04 PM
. . . as long as it doesn't have "ATMO" at the end of every sentence. :rolleyes:

BBD

Thank you. Someone had to say it. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2013, 08:05 PM
. . . it was my duty as a mod . . .

ATMO.

BBD

JLNK
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
I imagine that whatever Richard Sachs does will be wonderful. I am glad, though, that I have a white Sachs frame with red lettering.

avalonracing
09-12-2013, 09:21 PM
I imagine that whatever Richard Sachs does will be wonderful.

Have you seen emperor's new clothes?

beercan
09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
i hope he makes brown bikes, you dont see too many brown bikes

Peter P.
09-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Peter, I don't think that is what he is saying. The "team" bikes are getting a new look. Unless I'm missing something here, it is not going to prevent customers from picking the colors THEY want.

You're probably right. After your input I reread the announcement and that appears to be what will occur.

I think it was a poorly written announcement in need of clarification as to any impact it will have on his product for sale.

pbarry
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Rapha -Lite! Including intended obfuscation, ironic blunders, et al.

4Rings6Stars
09-12-2013, 10:52 PM
You're probably right. After your input I reread the announcement and that appears to be what will occur.

I think it was a poorly written announcement in need of clarification as to any impact it will have on his product for sale.

I doubt he is too concerned with impacting future sales...

jeffreng58
09-12-2013, 11:07 PM

second that

Peter P.
09-13-2013, 01:41 AM
It may not impact "future sales" since the queue is closed, but those already in line bought into a product which no doubt had a certain visual appeal. To tell those customers with non-refundable deposits they can't have what was represented when they placed their deposits is unfair to the customer who may not care for the new design.

If the design changes are only for the racing team, which is unclear from Richard's announcement, then there's no worry for the paying customers.

ElvisMerckx
09-13-2013, 06:10 AM

Four pages of prattle and buzz on a luxury builder's blog posting about paint color? I'd argue it's perfectly written.

fuzzalow
09-13-2013, 06:11 AM
I have no aversion to "classic" construction techniques and methods. But this is just a new paint & graphics schema to the same iteration of frame as from decades ago.

Sure, this is news but I see it more as a tempest in a time warp. IMO.

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Four pages of prattle and buzz on a luxury builder's blog posting about paint color? I'd argue it's perfectly written.

. . . what we think about the paint--as long as we're all driving up the Google hits for his name.

BBD

Len J
09-13-2013, 06:26 AM

You clearly don't know richie. I doubt there are many in his que worried.

Len

djg
09-13-2013, 06:41 AM
I think you will see an approach that is a statement of real change, not so far from Richard's past that you don't see the connection but from what we see across the industry's standard faire. With House Industries involved the level of creativity and thought spent on the matter will bring significant rethinking. House is amazing imo.

I have more than one Sachs and three of them aren't red and white; I chose all the colors. If I hadn't had a choice of colors it wouldn't have mattered one bit to me.

Ok, but how much of a statement can you make by changing a RAL number and a font?

I'm not saying that color is unimportant. What is your favorite color? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg

Dave B
09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I love Richard genuinely and he is a wonderful frame builder, but better mentor.

I also love his influence in the cycling community and unwaivering views.

What I love as a result of all of that is how folks get their panties so twisted when he does something. He is changing his team colors (with much thought) and doing something fresh...for himself, his sponsors, and the team...for the first time in how many decades?

You can order what you want, however if you order a new team bike it will not be the trademark red/wht. I doubt he went into this change lightly, but you can get your bike in your choice of colors, with in reason I would guess.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
I love Richard genuinely and he is a wonderful frame builder, but better mentor.

I also love his influence in the cycling community and unwaivering views.

What I love as a result of all of that is how folks get their panties so twisted when he does something. He is changing his team colors (with much thought) and doing something fresh...for himself, his sponsors, and the team...for the first time in how many decades?

You can order what you want, however if you order a new team bike it will not be the trademark red/wht. I doubt he went into this change lightly, but you can get your bike in your choice of colors, with in reason I would guess.

I totally respect you and your thoughts above, heck you are Mr. President. :) However, there are also a good portion of people out there who are only having fun with this, as we know the quotes "the lug is not the bike", which spurs, "the hub is not the wheel" or whateversomuchsuch.

There's another portion who don't concur with his views, or his influence in the cycling. Such is life. If everyone loves you, it is not real love.

Dario Pegoretti is one, perhaps the leader, who has shown what steel, craftsmanship, combined with sexy paint can do. It's the Italian Way, and perhaps coming to MA. If Moots, DeSalvo, IF came out with a new logo, font, or team kit, or the gifted Kirk, and Mr. Bedford altered theirs, it'd be noteworthy, not dramatic news. Perhaps people are just having some fun with it. :cool:

Let there be bikes! Let there be paint! Will there be wayfarers in team colors?

:)

John Price
09-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Actually Dave Kirk did modify his logo not too long ago and it didn't cause this much activity on the forums.

John

witcombusa
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Dario Pegoretti is one, perhaps the leader, who has shown what steel, craftsmanship, combined with sexy paint can do. It's the Italian Way, and perhaps coming to MA.

:)

Well this right here ^ , proves your point. I absolutely hate the Peg paint.

People like different things and if they didn't life would really suck

fiamme red
09-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Actually Dave Kirk did modify his logo not too long ago and it didn't cause this much activity on the forums.My personal preference is for the older Kirk decals. I thought they were subtler and more elegant. No doubt I'm in a very small minority.

echelon_john
09-13-2013, 09:28 AM
WHA!?!? Coming to MA via Sachs, or is Dario moving stateside?

Dario Pegoretti is one, perhaps the leader, who has shown what steel, craftsmanship, combined with sexy paint can do. It's the Italian Way, and perhaps coming to MA.

John Price
09-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Fiamme Red, I'm with you on that - I prefer his older decals too. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy his frame if I could afford it - with new or old decals.

Not sure what changes RS will make but guessing his potential customers feel the same way.

John

fiamme red
09-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Dario Pegoretti is one, perhaps the leader, who has shown what steel, craftsmanship, combined with sexy paint can do. It's the Italian Way, and perhaps coming to MA.I'd be dismayed if I ever saw a Sachs painted like an "artistic" Pegoretti.

http://www.cycleexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dario-pegoretti-33.jpg

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/cover_images_23/pegoretti.jpg

http://spinwell.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ciavete-zoom5.jpg

FlashUNC
09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Actually Dave Kirk did modify his logo not too long ago and it didn't cause this much activity on the forums.

John

Not a slight meant to Mr Kirk at all, but his team bikes haven't had the same paint scheme since Reagan's first term.

DreaminJohn
09-13-2013, 09:51 AM
. . . what we think about the paint--as long as we're all driving up the Google hits for his name.

BBD

Dave, this is your 2nd thinly-veiled cheap shot at Mr. Sachs in this thread and it's beneath you in my opinion.

I don't Richard Sachs and I'm quite certain he doesn't need defending from me, but c'mon.

Please.

Auk
09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Season must be winding down for people when the fangs come out about a builder choosing to change a color/design format. His brand, his rules. And, unless you're riding on his team this year, you won't feel a thing.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 10:38 AM
WHA!?!? Coming to MA via Sachs, or is Dario moving stateside?

I dunno, it's all speculation. That said, I am getting a new haircut this weekend, with a chichi stylist in SoHo, and going with a new style. :banana:

PS: Auk, I hear you. That said, the Cross Season just begins. I just hate the words "his rules", because it's truly his "marketing"; brands and image have an appeal, a style, via marketing. Rules are the way one chooses to lead their life, or the things made by Johnny Law. The word aesthetic no longer has meaning on Planet Cycling Earth as it's been overused, overhyped, and watered down to 0% alcohol. :)

Colors will change. Seasons change. All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWLlAmWgDNg

Cheers.

Fishbike
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
One of the interesting things about the whole Sachs mystique is that although many people fetishize his bikes, he doesn't. He sees them as tools and does not seem preoccupied with how owners paint, build or ride them.

My impression is that you could always get it painted however you wanted. It seems you still can.

It is interesting that the red and white scheme became so iconic. I suppose the reasons include cool cross team; great steel pipes put together correctly; lots of marketing savvy; and colors that just look good on a bike. As a result, most folks wanted it to look a certain way.

I am very happy to have a red and white Sachs cross in my collection. It rides well and looks really good too. But so do many bikes.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 10:43 AM
What's this Red/White thing he speaks of?

Mine's just RED w/yellow decals...

Mine too:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Sachs%20Road/AE06CFC9-5AB6-4E2D-B716-7D415EB446E7-2270-0000027418463F54_zps5af92b91.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aolk67/media/Sachs%20Road/AE06CFC9-5AB6-4E2D-B716-7D415EB446E7-2270-0000027418463F54_zps5af92b91.jpg.html)

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/photofromvia.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aolk67/media/photofromvia.jpg.html)

crownjewelwl
09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
the FONT is the bike!!!

rinconryder
09-13-2013, 11:04 AM
It's paint on a bike. Who cares. I am sure the next thing will be good looking as well and iconic because it's sachs. move on. get out and ride.

mosca
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
cat out of bag:

http://www.houseind.com/showandtell/2013/09/13/HouseIndustriesforRichardSachs

House really does nice work.

Fishbike
09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Love it. The universe is saved.

Len J
09-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Here you go... snipe at will

avalonracing
09-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Their design aesthetic and attention to detail is superb and might just be the perfect pairing for the new Sachs.

Or not.

ryker
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
New finish looks very nice. Would be even better if the ST or TT was blank. I'm a less is more kinda guy though.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Eddy Orange. My computer's screen is wee off, is that Eddy Orange? Molteni Sunshine is always nice on a bike, tried, true and tested.

dancinkozmo
09-13-2013, 11:42 AM
cat out of bag:

...big effin' deal.

FlashUNC
09-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Looks very cool. I like it.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
I like it - but I think I'd prefer to have seen a more radical departure.

fiamme red
09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I like it - but I think I'd prefer to have seen a more radical departure.I think that the leap from Campagnolo to SRAM was a much more radical departure.

slidey
09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
So, Red+Yellow = Orange?

All right, I'm all caught up now...carry on!

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 12:17 PM
The jersey looks good, the paint inspires a yawn.

54ny77
09-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Liked the red & white better. Timeless, classic, and that JB paint job is so deliciously flawless and consistent. But, can understand if the maker wanted to change. I too would probably get bored or want change at some point if doing the same thing for decades.

Oh well. Am not a customer, so my opinion matters approximately less than zero. :bike:

ColonelJLloyd
09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
What's on these cables?

http://www.houseind.com/showandtell/images/2553.jpg

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
What's on these cables?

http://www.houseind.com/showandtell/images/2553.jpg

Looks like Teflon (PTFE) coated.

choke
09-13-2013, 12:32 PM
It looks more like housing liner to me.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-Black-Housing-Liner

vqdriver
09-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Thought those were liners

mike p
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Love the kit. The bike........................whatever.

Mike

RonW87
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Burnt orange is the new red!

EDS
09-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Looks great!

rwsaunders
09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Click the link to the team site as I think that it does a great job in telling the story of not just the bike, but of his passion for the sport, his respect of the sponsors, some insight about the members and his never-ending pursuit of all things design. Nice work ER.

http://richardsachscyclocross.com

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I think that the leap from Campagnolo to SRAM was a much more radical departure.

Didn't he reverse that leap after an issue with SRAM not supplying latest greatest for a NAHBS exhibit?

I'm definitely a fan of changing the scheme, I think it was actually over due. I like the color and I do like the current graphics...for a different bike. It's a little too similar to the prior scheme for my taste and I think it needed a radical reprisal - like black and purple. Something BOLD. This is a beautiful scheme, but it seems too safe somehow.

professerr
09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
I like it - but I think I'd prefer to have seen a more radical departure.

I like it better than before, and I actually think the kinda timid changes make good sense in this case. More would ring false -- these are solid, well-made frames. I don't think you'd want paintwork to say much more about a classic lugged steel frame.

cfox
09-13-2013, 01:15 PM

incorrect. RS sells a lot of soft goods and tubing/frame building supplies. Enough, he has written, to "keep the lights on." Not too shabby. He doesn't spend as much time as he does cultivating his brand/mystique/atmo crap just for his jollies. I'd do the same thing.

new paint? Looks good other than the seat tube. The cluster of RSs looks like flowers on a Barbie bike.

thwart
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I dunno... I like Classic Coke better at this point.

The iconic signature is now legible... say it ain't so. That is a step in the wrong direction, IMO.

http://www.houseind.com/showandtell/images/2547.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
. . . because I've seen the ATMO grail. But I hope he didn't pay a whole lotta money for that. ;)

BBD

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
The orange isnt "bad" per se, but I'd like to see another color in the mix, maybe some outlines on the lugs or logos. Just my 0 sense.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 01:37 PM
It's a good color, and if it were an iteration in a line that had slowly changed over the years, it would be wonderful. I think, as good as it looks, you need to go BIG after your first re-design in decades. This is essentially remodeling your house by putting on a slightly different coat of paint and some curtains.

It's still a beautiful bike, and I don't think anyone buys a Sachs for the paint, I was just hoping for a bolder departure.

fourflys
09-13-2013, 01:43 PM
I like the new color and logos. I can't say if I would pick this or the classic at this point, luckily I have a few years to decide.... ;)

Well done House and eRichie!

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Bottom line. Does it come with a Lifetime Warranty? :D

fuzzalow
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I can die happy now . . . because I've seen the ATMO grail. But I hope he didn't pay a whole lotta money for that. ;)

BBD

I doubt very much any billable hours & fees are any part of this deal. Sponsorship status and HI logo on the bikes quid pro quo for freshening up of the bike graphics and team kit.

This revamping strikes me as dull (not bold?) but throughout the entire history of the brand, there was very little that was bold or inventive. Sorta like if Nani Pinarello kept brazing lugged frames from the 1960's to today but possessing none of the true bona fides of building for Indurain(;)), culture and panache from the old country. Yes I know Miguel's Pina's were Pegs. Indeed if one were seeking to cozy up to a builder that is the real deal, anyone no need to look any further than Dario.

This revamp is completely consistent and keeping to character. IMO.

ColonelJLloyd
09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
When someone needs to consult an armchair CEO this forum is the THE place to go, I tell ya!

fiamme red
09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
You can order what you want, however if you order a new team bike it will not be the trademark red/wht.How can you order a team bike unless you're a team member?

ryker
09-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Bottom line. Does it come with a Lifetime Warranty? :D

Who's lifetime?

Len J
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Lots of pro sniping, what a shock.

William
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
He copied my ZANK!!!!:eek:

;):)

William

I like orange......Orange and....

Coral
safety orange
Burnt Orange
Tangerine
Tenné
Unece Amber
Vermilion
Pumpkin
Gamboge
Pink-Orange
Amber
Peach Orange
Orange-Peel
Meech Orange (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1417809&postcount=6)
Portland Orange
Rust
and Champagne!

sparky33
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
The orange concept is original and interesting. It's perfect for an autumn racing bike.

It's not as much a departure from the red/white as I would have expected, but I like it. Seattube detail is great.

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
The orange concept is original and interesting. It's perfect for an autumn racing bike.

It's not as much a departure from the red/white as I would have expected, but I like it. Seattube detail is great.

That's a good point. Considering the context (CX race bike), the color is very fitting. I'm from New England, and fall is my favorite time of year. Now I'm thinking about Pumpkin pie... and all of a sudden the scheme makes sense.

I think the seat tube design looks pretty sharp as well (but would look EXTRA sharp if one of the RSs was red or yellow or black).

sparky33
09-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Now I'm thinking about Pumpkin pie...

and changing leaves.

would look EXTRA sharp if one of the RSs was red or yellow).

and water bottle bosses! (had to say it)

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 03:09 PM
and changing leaves.

keep your leaves out of my pie, buddy.

MattTuck
09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Cool.

It's a painted bike, not the second coming.

I like the seat tube graphics, uses the logo and creates a cool pattern.

tch
09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
My personal preference is for the older Kirk decals. I thought they were subtler and more elegant. No doubt I'm in a very small minority.

Nope.
+1.

sparky33
09-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Cool.

It's a painted bike, not the second coming.

I like the seat tube graphics, uses the logo and creates a cool pattern.

right, but it is what it is, and it is 9 pages (so far) of people who seem to notice the color of the paint. definitely more interesting than the latest BB standard.

dunno, Richie is either clever or lucky when it comes to brand management.

tch
09-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Dave, this is your 2nd thinly-veiled cheap shot at Mr. Sachs in this thread and it's beneath you in my opinion.

I don't ? Richard Sachs and I'm quite certain he doesn't need defending from me, but c'mon.

Please.

I'm OK with BBD and other sniping. If ATMO didn't push himself so vigorously and unrelentingly into public view, he wouldn't set himself up for so much cattiness.

You buy the publicity; you buy the snark that goes along with it.

Kirk007
09-13-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm OK with BBD and other sniping. If ATMO didn't push himself so vigorously and unrelentingly into public view, he wouldn't set himself up for so much cattiness.

As I get older I have less energy for snark. As the saying goes, the thing about others opinions vis-a-vis yourself/your work/your bike - everyone's got one, and their worth exactly what you paid for them.

avalonracing
09-13-2013, 03:42 PM

I don't Richard Sachs and I'm quite certain he doesn't need defending from me, but c'mon.

Please.

Many people are too sensitive in the first place but when people are being sensitive for OTHER people... Wow.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Discounting the wait, Richard Sachs would easily be one of the 2-3 builders I'd most want to get a bike from, disappointed by the new look or not. I don't think not finding the new scheme to your taste or hopes is all that brutal a commentary - I think a lot of bikes are ugly. I think you can not like a new product design without hating the product or wishing it ill.

A lot of us have spent a fair bit of cash on our bikes, and we considered many others. We become attached to, and advocate for, the ones we bought and picked. When you advocate for one thing, you often place it above another to justify your choice, and we come up with reasons to justify what we own. Sachs is high profile and one of the standards - so people are measuring up their frame to Sachs, and putting him down justifies what we picked.

Or it's just opinion ;)

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Forget the Twizzlers.
Bring on the Twerking.

:banana:

texbike
09-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I like the new fonts and design. However, the whole thing kinda reminds me of this excerpt from the Bike Snob review of the Colnago Extreme Power back in 2007:

"Alex Colnago says, "our approach for 2008 is [to] upgrade our graphics with most models," and it shows. As usual, Colnago engineers clearly asked themselves the hard questions, like: “How can we make this bike look better?;” “Where is Antonio the Intern with our lunchtime wine?;” and “How far from the thingy that the bars attach to should we put the thingy that the seat attaches to?” Just one look at the Extreme Power shows that they were able to answer all these questions and more".

Man, that was a funny article!

Texbike

crownjewelwl
09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Why do you "rebrand" when the queue is closed?

Ken Robb
09-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Maybe you want to sell a lot of new jerseys, etc. with the new look?

sparky33
09-13-2013, 04:49 PM

If I had a small business, I would do a lot of things just because it's fun and interesting... after I'd done enough stuff to make sure the lights stay on. It doesn't hurt if the fun stuff brings in a few nickels too.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 04:51 PM

A. The queue-closing could have been a marketing ploy to create a spike/surge in orders/sales.
B. He wanted the Cross Team to have a new look.
C. None of the above
D. Some portion of the above.
E. We should focus on our new, back-to-school haircuts.

:confused:

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 05:01 PM

RIchie would have done it sooner but House Industries has a seven year long cue for rebranding work.

Seramount
09-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Burnt Orange, huh...

Bevo approves this color.

wooly
09-13-2013, 05:30 PM

The queue isn't really closed, it's just really really long. If interested you just need to reach out to Richard.

witcombusa
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
The queue isn't really closed, it's just really really long. If interested you just need to reach out to Richard.

Why anyone would wait even 2 years to get a bike built is beyond me. There are so many talented builders out there now who can get it done in a reasonable time frame.

#campyuserftw
09-13-2013, 06:19 PM

As seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOGB4SkcM4

Increase demand by stating production is closing, and the door is shut. Many $400.00 deposits fly in. Orders surge @ $5K per-bike with a "seven to eight year lead time". Coincidence this queue-closing-event took place prior to a move to MA, a new, large home, property, a new shop, and an Imelda Marcos-like shoe display. Hey, it's a business. Marketing is key. http://www.richardsachs.com/site/faq/

J.Greene
09-13-2013, 06:32 PM
As seen here:

Increase demand by stating production is closing, and the door is shut. Many $400.00 deposits fly in. Orders surge @ $5K per-bike with a "seven to eight year lead time". Coincidence this queue-closing-event took place prior to a move to MA, a new, large home, property, a new shop, and an Imelda Marcos-like shoe display. Hey, it's a business. Marketing is key. http://www.richardsachs.com/site/faq/

I think implying that Richard financed his move with deposits is a low blow and it's counter to what he believes is a proper business practice and the advice he routinely gives newer frame builders.

Birddog
09-13-2013, 06:32 PM
This

Why anyone would wait even 2 years to get a bike built is beyond me. There are so many talented builders out there now who can get it done in a reasonable time frame.
ERichie would likely agree with you.

The new design and colourway is Gandino approved

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Or maybe he's an extremely talented and in demand builder with a long wait. I think a lot of folks in the market for a Sachs can toss their name in the que, get another frame from a guy with a shorter wait, and just wait for their ship to eventually come in.

I think implying that Richard financed his move with deposits is a low blow and it's counter to what he believes is a proper business practice and the advice he routinely gives newer frame builders.

It's an extremely obnoxious posting without proof...I wonder how the poster would enjoy my speculation into his finances/criminal activities.

Gsinill
09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I know someone that reads this thread and has a big smile on his face....

Ken Robb
09-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I think I remember that RS doesn't accept deposits until a person nears his build date.

Bruce K
09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Let 's stick to facts and avoid rumor and innuendo.

BK

cfox
09-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Ken is correct. As pointed out earlier, RS sells a ton of soft goods and frame building supplies and appreciates his hit counter going up (his words). Any buzz about his brand (so sick of that word) is $$ in his pocket.

cfox
09-13-2013, 06:58 PM
As seen here:

His queue was closed for at least five years prior to his move. I'm no big RS fan, but dude, get an effing clue before you accuse people of unsavory business practices.

fourflys
09-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Or maybe he's an extremely talented and in demand builder with a long wait. I think a lot of folks in the market for a Sachs can toss their name in the que, get another frame from a guy with a shorter wait, and just wait for their ship to eventually come in.

Exactly... I put my deposit down and got in line... It's a long wait, but it coincides perfectly with my retirement from the Coast Guard... Will I notice any perceptible difference between a Sachs and a DeSalvo while riding? Not likely.... But there are tons of people who wouldn't be able to tell the real difference between a BMW 3 series and a Mazda6 either, but it doesn't stop them from buying the BMW for other reasons...

A person gets in line line to buy a Sachs because they can and they want one...

BTW- when I leave Kodiak I totally plan to buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited... Totally impractical and will probably not often go off road, but I don't really care... I've worked my butt off for 20 yrs and can now afford it, so I'm going to have one...

slidey
09-13-2013, 07:42 PM
This is the part I don't understand. A buzz needs to translate to sales for it to be money, correct? Take into account the polarizing marketing strategy (my opinion), and I'm not convinced that internet hits alone are good enough to ensure a stable commercial return from such a business model. I do know you're right though about RS' obsession with site hits...but to what end? Defies logic. :confused:

Any buzz about his brand (so sick of that word) is $$ in his pocket.

Aaron O
09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Exactly... I put my deposit down and got in line... It's a long wait, but it coincides perfectly with my retirement from the Coast Guard... Will I notice any perceptible difference between a Sachs and a DeSalvo while riding? Not likely.... But there are tons of people who wouldn't be able to tell the real difference between a BMW 3 series and a Mazda6 either, but it doesn't stop them from buying the BMW for other reasons...

A person gets in line line to buy a Sachs because they can and they want one...

BTW- when I leave Kodiak I totally plan to buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited... Totally impractical and will probably not often go off road, but I don't really care... I've worked my butt off for 20 yrs and can now afford it, so I'm going to have one...
No argument from me - enjoy the hell out off both!

:hello:

cfox
09-13-2013, 07:54 PM
This is the part I don't understand. A buzz needs to translate to sales for it to be money, correct? Take into account the polarizing marketing strategy (my opinion), and I'm not convinced that internet hits alone are good enough to ensure a stable commercial return from such a business model. I do know you're right though about RS' obsession with site hits...but to what end? Defies logic. :confused:

the only way to the 'shop now' button is via his site...so you've gotta get eyeballs there. Once there...read a blog...hey, this guy seems cool...click on shop now for giggles...oh, look a hat. I like hats! 'add to cart' If 2% do this, you need to make it 2% of a large number, hence the hit count obsession

Mikej
09-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Maybe I can finally get a sloper now....I heard he's going full on euro.

nighthawk
09-13-2013, 07:58 PM
The speculation about RS' personal finances and business decisions is a bit much. Somebody mentioned the size if his house, really? You obviously haven't seen it. What should have been a good natured thread about bike color has gotten petty and way too personal. I wish some here could lighten up and maybe put a little less negative ····· into the world.

wooly
09-13-2013, 08:17 PM
The speculation about RS' personal finances and business decisions is a bit much. Somebody mentioned the size if his house, really? You obviously haven't seen it. What should have been a good natured thread about bike color has gotten petty and way too personal. I wish some here could lighten up and maybe put a little less negative ····· into the world.

It's a select few that have gone down that road. Hopefully, they've found some taste.

alexstar
09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Why care what color somebody else paints the bicycles he makes? Sheesh. It's just bicycles, not something important like your own business. For the record, I think it looks great and would buy one.

Mikej
09-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Hey, you can see it all on his blog or somewhere, the guy is self proclaimed "self absorbed". I really don't get it to be honest. His bikes are cool and all, but not even 2 year cool, let alone 8 or "closed" or whatever his gig is. He sure does the hell out of his gig though, that's for sure.

gemship
09-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Hey, you can see it all on his blog or somewhere, the guy is self proclaimed "self absorbed". I really don't get it to be honest. His bikes are cool and all, but not even 2 year cool, let alone 8 or "closed" or whatever his gig is. He sure does the hell out of his gig though, that's for sure.

I agree about the bikes. I don't know about the self absorbed but I will take your word for it. Anyone who blogs is pretty much self absorbed, at least in the moment of blogging.

RS was charming the first year I went to the Gloucester Cyclocross, Mike Zancanato was too. That same day I met them both and it was kind of strange. In both instances we made eye contact followed by a smile and a compliment by me and a invite by them to ride their bikes. It was very cool. At least I can say I have ridden and handled some really great cx bikes. I think RS is a way better dude in person as am I and most of us on a forum.

false_Aest
09-13-2013, 08:45 PM

So

Yahoo!

is now

Yahoo.

Mikej
09-13-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree about the bikes. I don't know about the self absorbed but I will take your word for it. Anyone who blogs is pretty much self absorbed, at least in the moment of blogging.

RS was charming the first year I went to the Gloucester Cyclocross, Mike Zancanato was too. That same day I met them both and it was kind of strange. In both instances we made eye contact followed by a smile and a compliment by me and a invite by them to ride their bikes. It was very cool. At least I can say I have ridden and handled some really great cx bikes. I think RS is a way better dude in person as am I and most of us on a forum.

Yeah, I guess my post looked like I was baggin on the dude. I'm not, he is a hell of a business man and a better craftsman than most and does as good a bike as the best, but just post the new stuff when it's ready, but then we wouldn't have a soon to be 10 page thread about it- hence the hell of a business brain. Nice guy, actually met him at nahbs, the red in person is better than any photo I've ever seen, I'd keep it.

Grant McLean
09-13-2013, 08:47 PM
He sure does the hell out of his gig though, that's for sure.

That's for sure.

Let's be honest, it's the reason for a backlash.
Some folks just resent his success, and want to dismiss it
as "marketing" or "nothing special". It's really a distasteful
attitude, do something well, and the knives come out.

-g

Mikej
09-13-2013, 08:49 PM
That's for sure.

-g

You are correct- don't be hatin' should be in the logo.

FlashUNC
09-13-2013, 08:51 PM
That's for sure.

-g

http://ororke.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/02_Haters_Gonna_Hate-s600x433-62658-580.jpg

fuzzalow
09-13-2013, 08:56 PM
In RS defense, as long as he reliably delivers on his commissions, I have no issue as to whether receipts obtained from deposits is segregated from other operating cash accounts.

And to the best of my knowledge, RS has never failed to deliver a commission to a client that has deposited and completed payment for. So the separation of funds, other than in principle, is moot. In fairness, to make a claim for keeping clients money as separate from his own requires more proof than simply RS's word. As the saying goes - documentation available on request.

Finally, my recollection from the old, old Serotta forum - the closing of the RS waiting list occurred before the relocation from Chester, CT. Also, resentful of someone's success is in the jealous schoolgirl's branch of sophomoric rationalizations. Not all that effective in adult conversations.

Len J
09-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Haters gonna hate. Sheesh.

Len

pbarry
09-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Someone is absolutely shuddering with delight at all of this activity. The plan went well. Most fell for the brief details and filled in the blanks. Time to take the show to Vegas.

alessandro
09-13-2013, 10:22 PM
This is actually a big deal for any company, let alone a one-man shop that sells a high-end product with a clear and long-established design.

I have some close friends who are graphic designers. My wife does a fair amount of design. e-Richie doesn't have to change anything, especially the look of a product that he designs and builds with obsessive attention to detail and over which he makes no compromises. For a guy like that to place his image in the hands of another firm is not a trivial step.

I like the new look. *Even if it is just for the cx team bikes.* Maybe I'll see some this weekend at Green Mountain Cyclocross.

pbarry
09-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Oh, the anticipation...

charliedid
09-14-2013, 07:34 AM

Loads of people have done orange cross bikes... I love the new RS look, and agree about it being a perfect autumn racing bike.

Here is a Ritchey Mt Cross (creamsicle) from mid 90's in a similar color.

I say well done!

saab2000
09-14-2013, 09:34 AM
It's difficult to understand why people who aren't going to get one care in the least.

I like it.

Folks should meet Richard. He's a good dude. We've ridden together and suffered up gravel climbs together.

I'd buy one of the old design and I'd buy one of the new design. He cares a lot about aesthetic and I, for one, like the new aesthetic. And the craftsmanship is exceeded by nobody. The attention to detail is stunning and I've seen that on the NAHBS bikes.

I wish I owned a Richard Sachs bicycle.

Aaron O
09-14-2013, 11:25 AM
It's difficult to understand why people who aren't going to get one care in the least.

I like it.

Folks should meet Richard. He's a good dude. We've ridden together and suffered up gravel climbs together.

I'd buy one of the old design and I'd buy one of the new design. He cares a lot about aesthetic and I, for one, like the new aesthetic. And the craftsmanship is exceeded by nobody. The attention to detail is stunning and I've seen that on the NAHBS bikes.

I wish I owned a Richard Sachs bicycle.

My interest is as a fan of his bikes - I was looking forward to the new design because I love dreaming about owning one. I have an opinion about what the best looking Bond car is, though I'll never own one. I think there's a mix of opinions expressed here - some are like mine, where we're just offering an opinion on the new design of a high profile release. Others are people who, for whatever reason, feel vitriolic towards the man/bike. The vitriolic thing doesn't make sense to me, but everyone hates things on the web.

I'd love to go for a spin with him - I met him once and he's a heck of a nice guy.

saab2000
09-14-2013, 03:02 PM
My interest is as a fan of his bikes - I was looking forward to the new design because I love dreaming about owning one. I have an opinion about what the best looking Bond car is, though I'll never own one. I think there's a mix of opinions expressed here - some are like mine, where we're just offering an opinion on the new design of a high profile release. Others are people who, for whatever reason, feel vitriolic towards the man/bike. The vitriolic thing doesn't make sense to me, but everyone hates things on the web.

I'd love to go for a spin with him - I met him once and he's a heck of a nice guy.

Indeed. It's the bitterness and vitriol and thinly disguised emotions that I don't understand. Jealousy? Probably. He's successful at building bikes and running a cyclocross team and has made a one man business successful. Is that not what this country is all about?

SamIAm
09-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I think it looks fine, not as radical a departure as I was expecting, but tasteful nonetheless. Might still prefer the original, but change is ok.

Sachs is the kind of guy you need to meet in person to appreciate, his online persona is just that, always found it strange that he seems to want that dichotomy, but ok.

sw3759
09-14-2013, 03:19 PM
i think the new looks are fine.not suprised he was ready for a change with his team bikes.i would not trade my red and white RS for an orange one and i'm happy to have what i have.but would like to see one in person some day to say for sure.you can't really appreciate the red that JB uses on an RS until you see it in person.online photos don't do it justice.

professerr
09-14-2013, 03:21 PM
That's for sure.

-g

I respect your defense of a friend, but we can all name a lot of very successful, very visible people in this industry that don’t generate anywhere near the level of negative attention on the web that Richard Sachs does, even on a forum filled with steel bike geeks. Something else is going on here. I wish it would stop because I love the aesthetic of steel bikes, especially lugged, and I love that you can still buy these today. This sort of stuff kills the buzz -- a bit for me and a lot for the guys I ride with who aren’t as smitten. It may be fine for Richard Sachs, but it brands a whole swath of the business with the insular, disagreeable image that threads like this evidence some people, fairly or unfairly, associate with him.

Bruce K
09-14-2013, 03:43 PM
What Sam said

BK

marle
09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
7000+ views & 170+ replies in what 2 days? Lots of sound and fury

nighthawk
09-14-2013, 05:26 PM
7000+ views & 170+ replies in what 2 days? Lots of sound and fury

Yeah, but atleast 3000 of those views are from me.

Also, for what it's worth... I'm hoping to see the new color(s) in action tomorrow.. I'll take pics and post em if I make it up there.

marle
09-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Also, for what it's worth... I'm hoping to see the new color(s) in action tomorrow.. I'll take pics and post em if I make it up there.

Looking forward to pictures!

PQJ
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Be careful and consider posting under a nome de plume, else you might get flayed.

(I'm looking forward to seeing 'em, FWIW.)

witcombusa
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
I respect your defense of a friend, but we can all name a lot of very successful, very visible people in this industry that don’t generate anywhere near the level of negative attention on the web that Richard Sachs does, even on a forum filled with steel bike geeks. Something else is going on here. I wish it would stop because I love the aesthetic of steel bikes, especially lugged, and I love that you can still buy these today. This sort of stuff kills the buzz -- a bit for me and a lot for the guys I ride with who aren’t as smitten. It may be fine for Richard Sachs, but it brands a whole swath of the business with the insular, disagreeable image that threads like this evidence some people, fairly or unfairly, associate with him.

So if some folks are critical of Ritchie, you think it reflects negatively for all steel bikes :confused:

You may care just a little too much what others think of your choices...

cnighbor1
09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
I love his white / red color schemes

rounder
09-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I almost got in the queue when Richard announced that he was going to cut off orders for new customers in the next x months. The wait list was already 8 years. I knew that I wanted a custom bike but did not want to wait that long. But also thought about the fact about how cool it would be to think about having something great coming someday every day for the next 8 years. I had already bought his coffee table book and dvd (they came with RS pins and stickers!).

Met Richard at NAHBS in Richmond. His bikes were beautiful and he seemed like a decent guy. I would have bought a bike from him (probably red and white). But, I went with another builder and am extremely happy with that.

I think the new team colors and graphics look good. Wish Richard well.

Charles M
09-14-2013, 07:23 PM
These guys had an iconic thing and wanted a change too.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/new_coke_2.jpg

But they wanted to change the content rather than the can.

Here's hoping it all works and fully understanding that it very likely matters very little one way or the other for Rich.