PDA

View Full Version : How to lengthen my record 11 speed chain?

yim
09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Hello,

I have cut my new chain originally for a 11-25 cassette but I would like to change the cassette to a 12-29.

How can I add two links back to my chain?

LBS suggest that no need to use the specific chain pin CN-RE500 but can use the original chain pin on the cut portiion provide that it is not completely put out. Will this work?

Can my first generation SR RD with white letters work with 12-29 cassette?

Please help, thanks a lot!

kramnnim
09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Bad idea to not use the proper peened pin! Unless you want the link to randomly pop open while you ride... Scared of a LBS who would tell you it's okay...

avalonracing
09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Never do anything to weaken a chain. Best case it will break when you are spinning easily (not as likely) worst case in a sprint (much more likely).

I broke a chain while warming up on a slight hill under mild pressure and was thrown to the ground. I was lucky and only had a few abrasions and a slight pain in my shoulder for almost six months.

Buy a new chain. It's cheaper than setting a collar bone.

Tony T
09-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Better to go with a new chain.
BTW, you should still be able to use the 11-25 if you want with the longer chain.

buldogge
09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
What chain length measurement method did you use?

Are you sure the chain isn't long enough for the 29 now??

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
09-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Hello,

I have cut my new chain originally for a 11-25 cassette but I would like to change the cassette to a 12-29.

How can I add two links back to my chain?

LBS suggest that no need to use the specific chain pin CN-RE500 but can use the original chain pin on the cut portiion provide that it is not completely put out. Will this work?

Can my first generation SR RD with white letters work with 12-29 cassette?

Please help, thanks a lot!

Really bad idea from your LBS...really hard. Risky to push a new 11s chain pin into any plate that has a pin in and pushed out(deformed)....get section and use 2 'links, either KMC or IRD...or get a new chain. Otherwise you risk a broken chain.

If ya use the small-small method, you wouldn't need to add links...the original chain would have been long enough.

'May' need the gizmo that tightened the spring on the lower pivot-I have those, BTW..for using a 12-29

Ralph
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I've added 2 regular chain links before using (as OP said above) an additiomal KMC link. Worked fine, then when I wanted shorter chain back, took them out. Ran chain with 2 sets of KMC links.

Black Dog
09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
I switch back and forth between the 12-25 and the 12-29 with the same chain, no issues. But as OP said the chain should have been set up using the small-small method.

For those of you that add links with a KMC quick link are you reusing the links or replacing them as per the manufacturers recommendation? I can not see the harm in opening them once or twice in their lives but I toss them when I replace the chain and put a new link on with the new chain.

druptight
09-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I've added 2 regular chain links before using (as OP said above) an additiomal KMC link. Worked fine, then when I wanted shorter chain back, took them out. Ran chain with 2 sets of KMC links.

I've used 2 missing links before with a link or two of the original chain in between without issue.

Tony T
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes, it'll work, but 3-4 links on one chain just seems wrong ;)

Ralph
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I switch back and forth between the 12-25 and the 12-29 with the same chain, no issues. But as OP said the chain should have been set up using the small-small method.

For those of you that add links with a KMC quick link are you reusing the links or replacing them as per the manufacturers recommendation? I can not see the harm in opening them once or twice in their lives but I toss them when I replace the chain and put a new link on with the new chain.

When I run a chain checker over my chains, I find the elongation over the links with a quick link to be about .25% more always. If rest of chain shows .5% stretch, if I put the links with quick link in checker, it will read .75% over those links. So while I don't mind reusing quick links several times (with lots of grease on link before I use), I will not reuse one that has more than 3000 or so miles. And....it seems to me the KMC links on a KMC chain fit tighter than the same KMC links on a Campy chain. So I just stick with KMC chains.