PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve ride...

William
01-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Well, I went out on New Year's eve to get a few miles in. The sun had been out most of the morning and the temps were still in the low 30's but what the hay, I wanted to put a few miles in. The roads were dry and finally becoming clear of all the sand they had put down from the previous snow storm. By the time I finally had a break in the activities to get suited up and check over the Skunkbird before heading out it had clouded up. As I clipped my foot into the pedal and pushed off the first couple of snowflakes started falling here and there. The first mile or two was dang cold but I finally started warming up. About ten miles in the occasional snow flake had turned into flurries. I briefly considered heading back in but my stubborn kick-you-in-the-ares-backside mentality said screw it, it's only a few flurries. Well, after that each mile that clicked by the snow picked up a little more. It wasn't really sticking to the road yet because the wind had picked up and was blowing it around keeping the roads dry. By the time I was heading back in with 3 or 4 miles to go it was coming down pretty good, I was starting to feel like I was in one of those snow strewn mountain stages we occasionally see in the Giro or the Tour. I was starting to get a little chilled but still felt pretty good when I pulled back in at the house. Of course not long after I got back in the snow let up and stopped for a while.
I put in about 35 chilly, snow blowing miles but surprisingly I felt very good. Better then I would usually expected at this point in the year.

Of course we got a small snowstorm that night and now the roads are all covered in sand and crud again. Oh well. Can't wait to get the Ol'e Zanconato Cross bike for days such as these.

William